My friend is currently studying at university abroad for a year and wants me to visit her over there before she returns when her visa runs out. We go on holiday together every year (have done for the past 4 years!) and I'd love to go and visit but she wants to go to LA as well as Philadelphia and I just can't afford that and don't want to spend all of my savings on a holiday as I have other things I want to do after I graduate. She doesn't seem to get the concept that my parents won't pay for it all (and I wouldn't expect them too), as her parents are quite wealthy (I would say mine are 'comfortable') and would pay for it all for her. If I spent my savings, I would have no money to support myself when I graduate until I have a job (which aren't easy to come by) and do not want to be reliant on my parents for everything. It frustrates me that she doesn't understand.
twiggy93 twiggy93 18-21, F 3 Answers Feb 16 in Travel

I think that you answered your own question young lady. You have to take care of yourself and support yourself. If you used all of your savings to come over here, I would think that you would have a great time with your friend. <br />
However, If you spend all of your savings on something that will come to an end, and leave with nothing more than some pics and memories, and then you have no money to survive on, would that be the right thing to do?

Best Answer

I think you have to put your foot down here. You need to make sure you have enough saved for the rest of your year!<br />
Can you visit her where she lives and not the other places? Trust me, LA isn't anything worth visiting.

Best Answer

She only wants to visit LA as she knows someone who lives there and thinks it would be good. I said I'd go to Philadelphia (wouldn't have to pay for accommodation as her relatives said they would let us stay with them) but can't afford LA.

Best Answer

I think that's the right way to balance it. you can minimize costs and still visit somewhere cool! where you coming from? welcome!

Best Answer

From Liverpool in the UK :)

Best Answer