The assistant went over to the counter to fetch his calculator and after a further 45 seconds, announced "That will cost £170 in the sale. Are computers making us completely brain dead.
wilsjane wilsjane 51-55 4 Answers Aug 25 in Embarrassing & Funny

Yes, I figured that out in a few seconds.

Best Answer

My late mother (born in 1903) was a cashier. She could add up a customers shopping as fast as she could put it in the bag. Nothing in the shop had a price tag, she had to remember them all.

Best Answer

Your mother was very bright. I wonder how many of us now could have survived back then.

Best Answer

She started work in 1919, Because the shop did deliveries she had to come in early (4-30am) to price items, such as meat that had to be weighed prior to loading the vans.
Her working week was around 60 hours and she was paid half a crown (12.5p). Her father was a police officer and was paid £1 when he retired in 1920. He had a new house built which cost £125.
We bought our house in London for £600 in 1957. Last month it was valued at £1,800,000. What is the world coming too.

Best Answer

It seems out of control doesn't it?

Best Answer

It simply astounds me how often I've run into a person who has trouble making simple change ... you can see the wheels grinding as they are trying to come up with something like 72 cents ... my first job was working in a lumberyard ... we had to write up all the orders by hand ... multiple pieces of lumber at a certain price, the tickets often got into the hundreds or even thousands of dollars ... anyway I would do everything in my head ... I had a knack of doing math like that ... it was faster than using a calculator ... I did that one time for a customer, it was for several hundred dollars, he refused to pay saying I added the ticket wrong and complained to my manager ... my manager took the ticket and a calculator and handed them to the customer and told him to add up everything else for himself saying if there was a mistake he could have a 10% discount ... I was nervous but confident I was right ... five minutes later after the guy was finished adding everything up with the calculator the final price was right down to the penny ... the customer mumbled something about still should used a calculator and I said those things slow me down, and went out ot help him load the supplies he just bought

Best Answer

How the world has changed. Have a look at my answers to sweetmae.
I am a chartered engineer and hardly ever use a calculator. My big fear is slipping a decimal point and as you can imagine the results could be catastrophic.

Best Answer

There's a reason why they work at retail

Best Answer

That's insulting to say the least.

Best Answer

It's the truth

Best Answer

I not need calculator, I calcaulate that at my head quickly.

Best Answer

Look at my answer to sweetmae. lol.

Best Answer