I have met this man, and we chat for maybe an hour each day. I have met him several times in person as well and even had diinner with him a few years ago. We are both over 60 and single. I seem more attracted to him each day. He says if he had the money he would come visit me. I don't want to send him the money because my experience with men has been if they want to be wth you they will.
Bamacatgirl Bamacatgirl 61-65, F 15 Answers Feb 22, 2011

People meet all kinds of ways so who's to say it can't work. Sounds like your real problem is one of distance. I'd be careful but if you want it, go for it.

Best Answer

.. Yes 'me' .. we had an intense connection online which didn't fade when we met 3 months later .. i think you have to trust your instincts and go with the flow .. i hope it all works out for you :)

Best Answer

I'm 62 and met my wife, of six years, online. The relationship has a chance if one of you is willing to move. I was living in Texas, taking care of my mother (who had Alzheimers) and she was living in Florida. She moved to Texas.

Best Answer

life is 2 short...send him the bus fare. hey like if u have talked to him over the phone and googled his name and stuff what do u have to lose?

Best Answer

happens all the time

Best Answer

Yes, I have been in an online relationship, ended up marrying the guy, bearing a child together, and now divorcing him.. all in the span of five years.<br />
I do NOT recommend online relationships. It's far too easy for someone to hide their less than perfect side. And in my case, his less than perfect side could have left me physically scarred for life. As it stands I will be forever emotionally scarred. Thank God our baby is safe. Now if I can just keep her that way..

Best Answer

I agree. I truly believe people go online specifically to hide things. Then when they discover that the relationship is growing, it gets tough to deal with telling the truth. But I do believe that can be worked through, given the right person.

Best Answer

My current relationship developed largely over the internet, but we didn't meet that way. Ours was initially an issue of distance, but of a relationship that was socially unacceptable. We are still "together" even though a bail condition prevents us being together. In a few months we will be together again.

Best Answer

I've had three long term relationships with guys that I initially met in chat rooms (before those "online dating sites" became popular), the last relationship lasted 9 years.<br />
It's possible.<br />
I'd wait till he comes up with the money on his own though.

Best Answer

My best friend met my husbands' best friend in a chat room. She moved up from Missouri and married him 6 years ago. They are still together and expecting thier first child in September this year. The first year was extremely hard for her because of the move away from her friends and because of the climate change - freaking cold up here in Canada. That is enough to make you think twice about marrying someone from Canada or the Antartica.

Best Answer

my last few gf's ive met online. Its good when your a shy person, you can get to know them and develop feelings at your own pace. You'll find the odd one that just wants to bulldoze their way thru, but i guess it takes all sorts to make a world. You form more of an emotional bond than a physical one. When the time right, you meet and it works or it doesnt. Ive honestly been surprised at how strongly you can feel for someone that youve never met. Maybe i just fall easily :) lol

Best Answer

Me! I met my boyfriend online years ago and we were friends for a long time before meeting in person, then friends for a long time after. Last April we were both finally in the right place emotionally and finally got together. It's been bliss ever since. :-)

Best Answer

First, both as a former attorney and as a former police officer, I know that there are people who earn a living (or at least some extra money, from time to time) by carrying on online relationships, and then, after there is a connection, sweetly, plausibly, and convincingly bilking the other person out of money. <br />
Often it is characterized as a loan. Other times, there's not even a request...they mention a situation, and the kind and loving person they have been stringing along volunteers.<br />
For all I know, these people may not ever be cold blooded con artists...they may actually develop fondness for their victims (which, of course, enables them to be all the more convincing, and my even send very thoughtful gifts. But, in the end, business is business.<br />
Plus, you are right...if he really, truly, wanted to be with you, he'd find a way...he'd save up the money by cutting back on his premium cable channels, etc.<br />
Second, despite the risks involved in meeting people online (and I readily acknowledge that, for women, the risks are greater, and the odds worse), there is no reason to give of or to become cynical. I have met some very warm, intelligent, and interesting women online, and they have met me, a warm, intelligent, and occasionally-not-boring man. I am in a continuing and deepening relationship with one, and remain (now platonic) friends with a couple of others.<br />
What I am about to say may be counter-intuitive and, for that matter, may not be anything from which you or anyone else should draw a lesson. However, I believe an argument can be made in favor of geographical distance, at least in the beginning. For one thing, by broadening your search radius you will find more men that you might truly hit it off with, rather than men you might be willing to settle for. For another, it allows things to develop...or to whither away...at a slower pace...allows you both to kick the tires, ask questions, etc. while comparatively little is at stake. Also, as you exchange messages over an extended period of time, you have the opportunity to compare the other persons early messages to the current ones, and thus get a better feeling for how genuine and truthful he or she has been...are there inconsistencies? Are there things that don't ring true? Doth he/she protest too much? That sort of thing.<br />
My lady friend...really, my sweetheart...and I first met in a city and state about half way between her her home and mine. We did that a couple of times. Then I drove the few hundred miles to her town, and we spent a long weekend together, had dinner with her sister and some of their friends, ran errands together, and also saw to it that we had plenty of alone-time together. Since then, I helped her and her kids celebrate her grandson's first birthday, and, in a couple of weeks, I'll be driving to see her again. Later this summer, she'll visit me and will meet some my family.<br />
Here's the thing. If we lived in the same town, or even if we lived only and hour or two apart, this might seem like too much, too fast...meeting families, etc. But, give the distance and the current near impossibility of us committing to anything permanent, it's comfortable and very nice, without pressure, and without either of us worrying about what the other might be reading into something. It also means that our families can be happy for us, without worrying about us. At the same time, we mean a lot to each other...we are past the point of this being a casual relationship.<br />
Do I need to add anything else? Let's see....hmmm. Okay, here are a couple of things. I'm 65, and she is 60. We both are recently divorced after long (35+ year) marriages. Neither of us was desperate to find someone, and neither of us had dated much since becoming single. Neither of us has insisted on an exclusive relationship, and she, in fact, has said it probably would make sense for me to see local women. But, I don't, and don't want to. She isn't seeing anyone, either. Do we, given our long marriages that lacked physical affection, desire to "make up for lost time"? Yes, but we express that only when we are together...and it is incredible, for both of us.

Best Answer