The collection of the clothes is no problem.<br />
It's the funding that's gonna give you trouble.<br />
Used clothes often cost more to mail than they are worth.

Best Answer

I would like to help. Please contact me to see if it will be possible.

Best Answer

Sai Ram,<br />
Saikum, write to me. Together we can make things happen. I have already put my foot into this and plan to keep going.

Best Answer

I live in London and have so far managed to send all my son's old clothes with family when they go there or when I go there myself. Most of our luggage allowance is used up for this and anything we need can be bought cheaply there. I and a few boxes that I need to send to India now but have no plans to go there any time soon. I am not comfortable sending it to a charity as most are corrupt and I am not convinced the management does not sell them and pocket the profits. Maybe you can find like minded people who visit India often and see if they will take them there for you and distribute it amount the poor.

Best Answer

If you're in the US, try this site for ideas. If you're elsewhere, it still might be helpful.<br />
Some non profit organizations sell the clothes and send the funds overseas for education, food, healthcare, clothing...etc. Remember that in some countries people, especially females do not wear western clothing, so cash is sometimes the better way to go, anyway.

Best Answer

Yes, I live in US. Now a days back home people are willing to wear any clothing as they have very little to wear especially the children. As you know it is very difficult to collect cash. Old clothes any way people will have lying in the house and they are looking to give it away.

Best Answer

Yes, I live in the US and that is why I am looking for ideas from caring and thoughtful people like you. As you know it is very difficult to collect funds for such a cause, people usually have old clothes lying around in the house that they are looking to donate.

Best Answer

Silly me, I forgot to give you the site. :D Here it is:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4392668_donate-clothing-developing-countries.html

Best Answer

There are already many non-profits that do this. Creating a new group only dilutes the assistance you are trying to give by duplicating the overhead and paper work required to run such an organization. If you contact churches or United Way, they will be able to direct you to local organizations that do what you want to do. <br />
Don't forget your own community. My wife gives her old clothes to Saint Vincents because our local stores make clothes available for free to the women and children living in the women's shelters. It is part of their efforts to help those women learn a marketable skill, and be dressed nice enough to get a job. A true "Help up, instead of a hand out."<br />
Thank you for caring, and good luck.

Best Answer

I understand what you are saying but the churches and other such organizations provide for people who already have some clothes to wear but I am targeting the people who live in absolute poverty conditions. See I witness with my own eyes back home these people who live in under poverty living conditions, for example a child getting by with just one torn dress and they are the ones I want to ship these clothes to. who really are in need of such help. Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

I assumed that you were an American and had no personal knowledge of a need. I applaud your efforts to help the poor people India. My understanding is that government corruption can make attempting to help the most poor nearly impossible, but you are undoubtedly more knowledgeable of the problem and how to circumvent it; if it does exist.
You need a plan with far more detail than, "collect old clothes and ship it to the poor in another country," if you want funding. A web search will turn up many foundations with money who donate to causes like this. You will need to write a "Grant proposal," not an easy task. Most foundations have specific guidelines and some will even help you polish a proposal to the point that they will give you a small grant. Figure one to two years to learn grant writing and master the skills well enough to get funding.
Be warned. The competition for the money is fierce, and the paper work and documentation will be hard and involved. You will also need to file with the U.S. government and receive a 501(c) nonprofit tax status to receive the grant. There will be annual reports to file with the government and all monies need to be carefully tracked to avoid the appearance of misuse of funds or fraud.
I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that any charity distribution in India will require government approval and the paying of some license or fee.
If you know people personally in India who can distribute the clothing, you may be able to collect the clothes, and ship them at your cost. If you solicit cash from people to help defer your shipping expenses, and you are not a 501(c), you will have to include the contributions on your taxes as personal income. If you do that, make absolutely sure the people giving you money understand that you are not a charity and that they can not deduct it on their taxes.
Like Vessa said below, sometimes the cost of shipping exceeds the value of the clothes and sending money is a more cost effective way to help. Since much of our clothes is made in India, this could easily be the case.
I hope I haven't discouraged you. I just think it is a good idea to go into these things with your eyes wide open and having some idea what you are up against. I wish you great luck in your endeavor.

Best Answer

it's the cost of shipping that you must watch...maybe a slow boat? when you go to collect the clothes, if people don't have any to give, then their other choice is to give you money. Have you got 501c3 status yet? (tax exempt) Let me know how this goes, I think this is a very worthy cause...maybe someone is already doing this, who knows?

Best Answer

Thank you so much for your response
I just started thinking about this because there are so many poor people in India who literally live in below poverty conditions and I would like to provide clothing for such people but I am not sure how I could go about doing this.

Best Answer