Probably be easier and faster for you to get guardianship. You are a good sister.

Best Answer

you really need to talk to a lawyer. But each state has minimum age laws for if she can legally have an opinion on who to stay with. In this state it is 14. If she is under your states laws you would have to prove your mother unfit first. I would recommend you try for legal guardianship not adoption btw.

Best Answer

Thank you! This is the most helpful answer thus far.

Best Answer

you actually should have a strong case either way tbh. since she is not emancipated and did not try to leave on her own, your mother is guilty of child abandonment. i recommend you get all the facts on paper before you contact a lawyer. the precise time she called, precisely when and where you picked her up. and if you talked in texts lock them so they are not lost. you are not allowed to record phone calls wohtout saying so first but if your mother was emotionally abusive in texts it would go a long way to getting you made her guardian. which you really need to to have completed by august for school purposes. i think the court can award temp rights for school purposes.

Best Answer

You would have to go to the courthouse and file for custody. That means your mom would get a summons to go to court on the same day and time as you. Then you both are allowed to state your cases, and if your sister can be there, she may be allowed to say where she would rather live.

Best Answer

I think it would be a good idea. I mean, if anything were to happen and your mother was still her legal guardian, any civil service officer (police officer, firefighter, etc.) would take her back to your mother. And seeing as how your mother treats her, I'd say it would be worth it. But the decision is yours and only a lawyer would know the difficulty of this particular case.

Best Answer

You need to talk to a lawyer. EP is not intended for professional advice.

Best Answer