I don't touch the stuff myself - not out of a sense of moral superiority, but rather fear, cowardice and anxiety. However, I have several friends who do partake. I'm looking for work right now, though, and a lot of companies screen for drug use. If I'm around other people when they're smoking, will that enter my system and cause me to fail the drug screening? Personally, I think it's dumb that I should even have to worry about this at all; the way I look at it, my friends' activity is less dangerous than drinking alcohol (which I don't partake in either). Still, I just want to know if this is something I'm going to have to be careful about for X number of weeks prior to a drug screening.
TheRemainsoftheDay TheRemainsoftheDay 22-25, M 24 Answers Apr 9, 2012

Marijuana remains in your blood for 3 months , the larger the quantity inhaled , the larger percentage present in the blood , bottom line is that it can test positive regarding any amount available in your blood stream.

For example , if you talk with your friend while he smokes a whole joint and you just sit there breathing the smoke , it will certainly test positive , if you just pass by a guy on the street that happens to smoke pot and you inhale the scent , that won't test positive.

Hope you already found a job by now :D

Regards

Best Answer

If you are constantly around those smokers, you can fail a drug test. Drink lots of water.

Best Answer

Just remember not to eat any poppy seed bagels before the test--it sounds odd, but it's been verified several times that eating the poppy seeds on a bagel can actually give you a false positive for opium-based drugs.

Best Answer

Just avoid confined areas with lots of smoke and you should be fine. It takes a certain amount of exposure to show up on a test.. more than you would normally receive from "second hand" smoke.

Best Answer

IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

AFTER NOT SMOKING FOR OVER 85+ DAYS, I SOMEHOW TESTED POSITIVE FOR THC WITH A QUANTITATIVE VALUE OF 23...? WITH A THC TO CREATINE RATIO OF 8.953:256. WHICH ARE BOTH QUITE LOW. I WAS SEVERELY DEHYDRATED AT THE TIME, ALSO CAUSING A HIGHER CREATINE LEVEL AND THE CONCENTRATION OF OTHER PREscriptION DRUGS THAT I AM PRESCRIBED TO SHOW UP IN MY SYSTEM THAT USUALLY DON'T SHOW AT ALL IF I AM WELL HYDRATED/HAVE A LOW CREATINE LEVEL. I WAS TOLD THAT IT COULD BE A NUMBER OF THINGS BY THE DRUG TESTING FACILITY, I.E. SECOND HAND SMOKE (IN WHICH I ACTUALLY WAS NEAR SOMEONE WHO LIT UP NEXT TO ME AND HAD BEEN IN THEIR HOME THAT REEKED OF POT THE NIGHT BEFORE MY UA) BUT ALSO HAVE BEEN TAKING IBUPROFEN IN DOSES OF 800MG AT A TIME FOR CHRONIC BACK PAIN NO MORE THAN ONCE TO 2X A DAY IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO THE TEST, SO TRULY, THERE IS NO TELLING WHICH OF THE TWO CAUSED THE POSITIVE SINCE THERE ARE NATURALLY OCCURRING CHEMICALS IN URINE THAT MAKE IT ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO ISOLATE WHATEVER CAUSED THE DRUG TO SHOW UP. THEY LAB TOLD ME THAT AT A QUANTITATIVE LEVEL OF 23 THERE IS NO WAY THAT I COULD HAD ACTUALLY SMOKED ANY MARIJUANA, FIRSTHAND (IF YOU ACTUALLY DO TAKE A TOKE, THE VALUE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE HUNDREDS INSTEAD) BUT IT CLEARLY SHOWED I HAD BEEN AROUND MARIJUANA SMOKE IN THE DAYS PRIOR TO THE TEST, MIND YOU I TESTED NEGATIVE FOR IT EVERY 4-6 DAYS PRIOR FOR OVER 2 MONTHS BEFORE THAT AND JUST 4 DAYS BEFORE THIS TEST. A POSITIVE IS A POSITIVE, THOUGH, AND SOMETHING TO NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. ESPECIALLY WHEN COURT AND/OR DHS ARE INVOLVED. MY ADVICE, STAY AWAY FROM ANYONE WHO SMOKES (AT LEAST IF THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT IN FRONT OF YOU OR YOU HAPPEN TO SMELL THE AROMA AFTER THE FACT...IF YOU DO... HOLD YOUR BREATH AND GET AWAY ASAP). I AM GOING TO SEE, MYSELF, IF MY TAKING OTC IBUPROFEN IS WHAT CAUSED THIS POSITIVE TO HAVE OCCURRED, THOUGH, BY AVOIDING ALL FRIENDS THAT PARTAKE IN USING UNTIL I SEE HOW A FEW MORE TESTS TURN OUT, WITH AND WITHOUT HIGH CREATINE LEVELS IN MY SYSTEM.

I WILL REPOST ONCE I HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE SITUATION. HOPE THIS HELPS EVEN A LITTLE.

Best Answer

@U279 I think she was referring to being drug tested in the hospital after giving birth, which is something they do now. If the mom/baby tests positive for drugs, CYS will get involved.

It happened to my wife/daughter because of the meds (prescribed) my wife was on while pregnant. While we were in no danger of CYS taking her, since her PCP prescribed and her OB had it documented, they still kept our daughter in the hospital for a week in case of withdrawal.

Best Answer

mixhka, you should document "almost losing your baby because of second hand weed smoke." You will be the first person in history with such severe side effects, including people who are actually smoking it...or, more likely, you're delusional.

Best Answer

I have heard rumors abut marijuana usage of my kids dads girlfriend around the kids on the weekends. If I testy kids will it show? They are 8 years old.

Best Answer

yes it can show up and you can fail a drug test but it does depend on your exposure. If friends are hotboxing a room or car dont be there. If you already have flush your system water water water and cranberry juice. I almost lost my new baby due to 2nd hand pot smoke becareful.

Best Answer

I think many non smokers are just fearful of this. I am around people who smoke all the time and have passed a drug test recently! These people who fail are previous smokers who are around smokers and it just never left their body. Don't worry so much and don't let these people scare you. If you don't smoke you won't fail.

Best Answer

FML im ****** and never smoked but my probation says other wise.

Best Answer

I never smoked pot and I still failed. **** the system. Getting 13 year old females in trouble -,...,-

Best Answer

Someone should look into the chain of custody for the sample and retest.

Best Answer

yes it can show up. A gas chromagraphy test CAN show anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most accurate tests have a """tolerance range"" so many parts per million are acceptable. If you love your job, I suggest leaving a room or vehicle when pot is being used. AS A regualr user for three decades, and a taker of hundreds of tests...I assure you the very small amount of pot smoke CAN and probably will show up.

Best Answer

didn't a canadian snowboarder almost lose his medals because they found traces of thc, and didn't he claim it was secondhand smoke? of course, snowboarders fib a lot;)

Best Answer

i don't think it's a dumb question but the traces if they showed up would be quite tiny however prolonged exposure may yield a stronger result so maybe keep some distance when your friends start to smoke the good stuff

Best Answer

it is really doubtful. you would have to be living in a smokebox lol. drug tests have a 'threshold' limit of so many ppm anyhow, so you have to exceed a certain value of THC in parts per million (ppm) in your sample. so long answer short, no man you're fine. but if you are worried, hit up the pharmacy and buy an at-home drug test kit. they sell ones that test for THC alone

Best Answer

No, you won't fail a drug test if its not in your body lol you would have to second hand inhale a LOT LOT LOT of smoke to fail a drug test with pot! Idk if thats even possible, so you're in the clear.

Best Answer

Are they smoking around you in a very small confined area? If not, then no.

Best Answer

It shouldn't unless you're close enough to them to get high off their smoke.

Best Answer

If you don't smoke it just drinking water will make sure you don't fail a drug test. If you are really worried about it drink cranberry juice.

Best Answer