ashlieecker ashlieecker 26-30, F 15 Answers Aug 12, 2012 in Health

because that trait is a recessive trait, meaning that it is less likely for one of the children in your family to have blue eyes.

The brown eyes is the dominant gene in this equation, meaning that it is more likely for the children in your family to have brown eyes.

Best Answer

Brown is a dominate trait. It works like this B = brown, b = blue. You get one allele from your mother and one from your father. The combination determines your eye color and you will only get blue eyes if you are bb.

I'm going to make a few scenarios that will show you why:

Scenario 1: Mom with BB, and Dad with BB. Possibilities are:

BB

All kids have brown eyes.

Scenario 2: Mom has BB and Dad with Bb. Dad has the blue trait but it doesn't show because he has the dominate brown trait. Their kids are now:

1. BB

2. Bb

3. BB

4. Bb

All kids have brown eyes again. However, half of them have the blue trait.

Next Scenario: Mom has Bb and Dad has Bb:

1. BB

2. Bb

3. bB

4. bb

Finally, we get a blue eyed child. However the odds are 1 to 3 to get blue eyes.

Next: Mom has bb and Dad has BB:

1. bB

Everybody has brown eyes, but they also all carry the blue eyed trait.

Then: Mom has bb and Dad has Bb:

1. bB

2. bb

Half of the kids have blue eyes, and half of them have brown eyes. However all of them have the blue eyed trait.

Lastly, Mom has bb and Dad has bb:

1. bb

All kids have blue eyes.

One of the theories above is your case where your mom is bb and your dad is bB is the case. It's odds follows. You are the one with the blue eyes.

Best Answer

I have brown eyes. My spouse has green eyes. Wondering why none of my kids came out with brown eyes (not that it matters).
Our first daughter has hazel green eyes, our second has very light blue eyes and our son has this coral green colors to his eyes. No brown though..I feel like the only outcast lol

Best Answer

Yeah, no clue.

Best Answer

Because your DNA code is recessive for brown so your either a carrier of the brown trait or a pure breed.....either way you genetic structure wasn't designed to create the pigment/chemical required to make brown eyes

Best Answer

thats about the same for me, blue is a reccesive trait so it skips a generation, browns dominant, it has to do on genes

Best Answer

Because your mom has blue eyes. Everyone in my family except for my sister and my dad (i also have a brother) have brown eyes, my sister and dad both have blue.

Best Answer

genitics is funny thing

Best Answer

Read Mendelsons genetic experiments with peas...the % of brown vs blue in your family sounds textbook.

Best Answer

hey have found that eye color is determined by several genes. Your father probably carries the ones that match enough with your mothers to have them show up in you. lighter colored eyes are recessive so you need 2 sets for them to show.

Best Answer

biological alleles. Since brown eyes is a dominant gene, both your parents must have a recessive gene. There is only a 1 in 4 chance they can have a baby with blue eyes

you lucked out

Best Answer

Brown is a dominate trait. So are you sure your dad is your dad?

Best Answer

positively sure he is my dad
even my daughter has brown eyes

Best Answer

That does not mean your father is your dad. Only one way to find out. DNA test live on maury povich

Best Answer

another man in the mix lol

Best Answer