Yesterday my mom revealed to me that she was diagnosed with diabetes. I have been upset about about this and almost cried at school. Losing my mom is one of the worst things I can imagine. I'm not sure what type of diabetes she has but she said I have a chance of getting diabetes. I have a huge fear of getting a disease. I have started to get different thoughts about my religion which is Islam and am now agnostic. I have a fear of dying because I don't know where I will end up (hell, heaven). Anyway, if my mom has it will I get it too?
distressedwatermelons distressedwatermelons 13-15, F 7 Answers Mar 14 in Health

It depends if your eating habits are the same then its more then likely you might.

Best Answer

Before anything else, understand that, unless the doctor told her she is in giant danger right this very minute, then she is not in giant danger for some time. So, even though panicking seems like a logical response to the news, it is not. As the Hitchhiker's Guide says "Don't Panic."<br />
There is more than one variety of that condition. Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes is one thing. It is pretty much a genetic condition that a person can do little or nothing to prevent or change.<br />
The other, Type 2 which is what your mom probably has, is different. <br />
Now you know that you might develop it because your genes are, partially, her genes. Sounds bad, but it's actually good, especially given your young age.<br />
First, if your mom follows the doctor's instructions, for all you know, she will only need to change her diet, exercise more, and take some medications, and she will still have a happy, long life, about as long as it would have been anyway.<br />
Second, you. Learn WITH your mom. Changes that she must make are changes that you probably should make. They won't hurt you, so why not? You can avoid the complications she will deal with, maybe altogether. <br />
Obviously, you love your mom, or you would not be concerned about losing her. That is simply beautiful. I don't know you, and I almost cry thinking about this. Work with her, encourage her, be the tough guy when you both need one. Your mother is lucky to have a daughter like you.

Best Answer

I am a diabetic type 2. I am a diet /drug controlled diabetic. You are probably genetically pre-disposed to getting diabetes. The way of avoiding it is to avoid a high energy diet and also to avoid foods that release their energy quickly to your body. A low fat diet and low suger diet is good for you. If you are overweight you need to seek a proffesional to give you are healthy weight loss diet. <br />
I hope you can take the steps needed to guard yourself from feveloping diabetes. It is far better to prevent it then to have to deal with it once you got it i assure you. :)

Best Answer

you have a genetic predisposition to it but if you take care of your eating and exercise, there's a low chance you'll get it. even if you do, it's not the end of the world. medicine has advanced so that diabetics can live a normal and long life if it's under control.

Best Answer

there are huge differences between the different kinds of diabetes....adult onset diabetes is mainly avoidable by diet and lifestyle choices....you have to discuss with your mom what type she has etc

Best Answer

I agree with MrStupe. Depends on the the type. Take care of yourself.

Best Answer