Boom towns are places that through unfettered capitalism or a surge in supply of a valuable resource, or both, see a massive influx of people coming in, looking for jobs related to the industry. The most common form of this are oil boomtowns and there's a number of them in the US. Now, we have enough oil in the northern region of the country to TREMENDOUSLY curtail our dependence on Middle Eastern oil, and I'm very much in favour of extracting it. However, I would never in a million years want to live in one of these (mostly North Dakotan) towns. Since you can make as much as $200k a year working on oil rigs, the barrier to entry is low despite the labour demand being high. So a lot of uneducated men pour in and bring all the crime that's associated with rapid expansion with it. Top it off that these men are single, horny, and there is a very low ratio of single women to single men there. Never a good thing! Contrast that with a low-growth place like Vermont, a great place to live.
Ilikegum Ilikegum 26-30, M 3 Answers Jun 29 in Politics

So what youre saying is that for public safety, boomtowns need brothels.

Best Answer

Yes.

Best Answer

They're probably working the boom so they can retire to Vermont.

Best Answer

Very plausible. Mediterranean countries for example are awesome places to retire. Great whether, food, and sights. Not the most productive countries though, so a young expat wouldn't have anything to do there.

Best Answer

I don't think economic growth is typically a good thing anymore.

Best Answer

It CAN be a great thing, but our capitalist structure supports it at the expense of whatever person or thing bares the brunt of the externalities imposed. This is not a sustainable system.

Best Answer

Although I agree to an extent, that it could be a good thing, I don't believe people have enough foresight to ever make it a great thing in the real world.

Best Answer

And that certainly wasn't the case when security based mortgages became common in the early 90's, where money-creating-money went on steroids and didn't slow until it nearly ruined the global economy.

Best Answer