Coz my mom told me that my laptop has in-built modem. Do i need a router as well? I dont even know what that is. Do you have to set up your own modem? IT noob here encountering first world issue. PLS speal in VERY simple terms. Thanks!
xueh xueh 18-21, F 3 Answers Jan 8 in Science & Technology

Ok listen....

There are a number of ways to get on the net...based one what you posted....You have subscribed to DSL...

With DSL (Digital Subscriber Loop), it uses a MODEM as opposed to "cable" or High Speed internet (Some call that a MODEM too)

If your PC or Desktop already has a built in MODEM, you will or should look to the side (if LAPTOP) or Back of a tower for a standard everyday PHONE JACK....(RJ11)

You will take a standard PHONE CORD and go from the PC/LAPTOP, to the WALL JACK and plug it in just like a phone.....BUT.....

You must have a "FILTER".....In short your ISP should have provided you with filters for evey wall jack in the house where a phone terminates....

The Filter looks like a plastic square or rectangle combiner....Meaning.....A phone jack on one side, and a phone jack on the other side but usually will have about 2-4" phone line sticking out....It will say on it with arrows or should - "TO WALL" and the other side TO MODEM....

Your ISP should help you if you can't figure it out....Its just 3 simple steps using standard phone line;

1) from PC/LAPTOP Phone line jack.....TO

2) TO the FILTER....

3) OUT of the FILTER to the WALL JACK....

You must have a FILTER for every jack in the house where you have a phone plugged in....

Got it?....

Remember to call your ISP for login and password if they didn't give it to you yet...

Good Luck!

Best Answer

omg thank you so much. that does helps. compare to what i have been looking through the whole freaking internet with articles with so many IT terms.

Best Answer

Welcome - Thanks for BA. I'm a Network Design engineer....I design these things....:) Good luck

Best Answer

Sounds like you need a condom.

Best Answer

Haha, you make it sound like we're running a con. "Hello, random stranger whom I've never met before! Would you like to try our cure-all potion?" "It's healed my blindness!"

Best Answer

Yeah I have been looking at too much IT stuffs. My brain is too dead to process what is going on... HAHA.

Best Answer

*ouch*

Best Answer

Me too~

Best Answer