imathinkin imathinkin 51-55, F 19 Answers Jun 6, 2010

I'm Hindu by conversion, and the discrepancies/"flaws" ultimately are irrelevant if the practices are followed, and luvdrunk and Genetlover are demonstrating their youthful ignorance rather than espousing the wisdom that comes with age. Bet LD can't articulate WHAT Hindus believe, and I think it's rude to call any belief system stupid. No, actually I think it's STUPID to do so. If there are cracks in the double line painted down the center of the road, does that mean it's OK to pass on the curves and rises?<br />
In any case, I eat cow , goats, sheep, lamb, etc. so SURPRISE!!! You don't know everything, folks! My spiritual guru, who at his peak back in the day was world renowned and could boast of sundry important and/or famous people, movie stars, TV personalities, rich folks, and an adviser to the sitting USA president and numerous followers not to mention extensive positive coverage by media. It was common to draw a crowd of thousands who paid lots to get the Holy Ghost from him. We call it Shakti. He delivered where the Catholic Church couldn't in its Confirmation ritual. According to him, it's not wrong to eat cows here in USA but the ones available in India are old or illness stricken, so it is a health issue more than a spiritual one. FYI, for the discipline it imposes his ashrams/centers to this day follow vegetarian [actually the passage in his teachings is obscure and I'd probably take flak from his current followers] diets and for awhile I followed that discipline as well. No goats.<br />
Glory to Shiva for putting back to the slumber of ignorance those not ready for the kundalini awakening! Keep thinking I'm stupid and you'll hopefully leave me alone. The religion, which predates Buddhism and Christianity still survives because when the ashes are stirred, red hot coals are discovered. If it were entirely without merit, it would not have survived. Naysayers focus on the cold, white, spent ash of errors, erroneously and superficially and never find The Secret which is not hidden but available to all. The "religion" of science contains errors and flaws, but that does not negate the entire system's truth.<br />
"The fool on the hill....no one likes him...he knows THEY are the fools"/ Beatles.

Best Answer

Thank you for the lengthy reply. Does not fully clear it up, but was informative. My friend eats beef, but never in front of his family out of respect. They do not live in India.

Best Answer

i feel sorry for all of you people who make comments in ignorance.<br />
Hindus believe that there is only ONE spirit in the world that is shared by all living beings and God is also the same spirit. The human soul is seen as just part of the complete whole. A key Hindu belief is not to injure another soul by either thought, word or action. As animals are also believed to have souls, as an ideal, Hindus out of their kindness seek not to injure them and therefore being vegetarian is the best a person can do to prevent them suffering unnecessarily. Hence, around 50% of Hindus in the world dont eat meat, fish or eggs, seeing them all as potential living things. <br />
The same does not extend to plant life as plants lack the emotions of fear and pain and therefore do not suffer when being 'killed'.<br />
As i mentioned, this is the ideal and so it is not followed by all and neither is it complusory to do so. It is an individuals choice. Hinduism, unlike Christianity or Islam is not made up of dogmas that have to be followed with blind faith.<br />
As for the cow, it is viewed as being the most selfless of all animals due to (a) the number of products humans obtain from its milk and (b) it being a key animal for agriculture in India (the birthplace of Hinduism) in the ploughing of fields.<br />
Hope this helps open a few of your minds people ! ! !

Best Answer

Thank you...at last one good explanation with logic and very much acceptable for non-believers. What you said about.."not hurting another soul, be it animal or human" is the true essence and beauty of the religion. thank you

Best Answer

cos cows are sacred to them not goats. it is what it is .... total bullshyte of a belief system

Best Answer

Well my friend explains that it's because the cow would sustain a newborn, like a surrogate mother of sorts...but goat milk is actually better for a newborn as a substitute...it makes no sense to me.

Best Answer

I'm not a Hindu but a Brahman-Buddhist. I thought that Siva Siddhanta view permits mutton? The smell of beef makes me nauseating anyway : S

Best Answer

I don't see why it wouldn't, as mutton is not beef. I wrote this a while back. Interesting to note that many people are allergic to cow's milk, but can eat sheep and goat cheese and dairy products.

Best Answer

I am a Hindu and as far as I know Cow is worshipped in our religion. I dont know the name used for referring to the Cow God but I am sure that a Cow was one of the God's so we Hindus don't eat cows. As simple as it is. I don't eat beef but I do eat Chicken, Fish, Mutton, Prawns. I don't eat pork due to personal preferences but according to my religion I can not eat a God's symbol. Thats it! I guess there are very very few people in India who are vegetarians due to their religion, its all personal preferences now a days!

Best Answer

History of evolution- monkey to today's' man......have you seen a monkey who eats non-veg food? I haven't...so according to this logic and not my religion the natural instinct is to eat veggie food...

Best Answer

its like asking why does someone eat turkey on thanksgiving day not pork.Traditions and history are still powerful enough for people to still follow .i am a hindu i eat beef ,i dont know why maybe i grew up in a state where people are more broad minded and more secular.But i dont eat pork.its just personal perference,you will find all kinds of hindus,just like you meet all kinds of Christians and muslims or jews.

Best Answer

It's not the same. Jews, for example, do not eat bottom-feeding crustaceans and pork for biblically health reasons, but I see no reason why beef alone is omitted for Hindus. My best friend is Hindu, and claims it's because a cow is life-giving. Sorry, but it makes no sense do me, much like your answer, although I do appreciate your taking the time to write one.

Best Answer

one day cows gonna extinct like what happen to other animals in this world.This will certainly happen due to those beef eaters(specifically)..i'm proud to be pure vege..living without doing any sin

Best Answer

according to me all hindu should be vegeterain because it is written in vedas that killing animals is a big sin. <br />
for example: lord rama and krishna who were god had never killed any speechless and innocent animals. so those hindus who are non vegetarion are commiting a sin.<br />
this is a true fact mentioned in vedas<br />
so killing both cow and goat should be banned at every level.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. My friend who is Indian eats lamb, but would never think of eating cow, which is why I asked.

Best Answer

thank you for asking...its the only way for you to satisfy ur curriosity and learn about other beliefs :)

Best Answer

wel its writen in holy "geta" that hindus are forbiden to eat cow.

Best Answer

My question though, was why a cow is as a mother, my friend explained that it has to do with sustaining a newborn, but a goat/goat milk would do a better job, yet they are not sacred. I am confused about that. Can you edit and clear it up?

Best Answer

No idea, when you focus on something that is made up and not real like a religion your living in a fantasy world, it ruins a lot of lives.

Best Answer

My friend is Hindu. He eats cow sometimes...burgers, stake...I cannot picture him doing that in front of his Family...not that they would consider beef for a meal...He doesn't eat pig for sure...

Best Answer

My hindu friend LOVES pig!

Best Answer

Perhaps because a cow can produce more milk - it is larger, and has 4 instead of 2 teats. Also, I don't think they'd research which is better; milk is milk; and mebbe there's more to it.<br />
love the puma picture, by the way.

Best Answer

thanks...hehe

Best Answer

is that why some Hindus don't eat cow? I've never heard that before :)<br />
On a historical basis - when hinduism was just starting out cattle raids where very common - making cows sacred was a way of controlling the wild rampant cattle raiders. :)<br />
I say - why abstain from either. Their Flesh can sustain a full grown adult - is that not reason enough to partake of their flesh? With thanks in our hearts of course :)

Best Answer

Is that true about the raids? I am just trying to understand why people would choose to have a loved one die (as he mentioned it to me) of starvation, rather than to eat a cow. It seems to negate the principle.

Best Answer

"Any religious system that has errors or flaws in the system (not in its adherents) cannot be true." - John Clayton

Best Answer

i feel sorry for all of you people who make comments in ignorance.
Hindus believe that there is only ONE spirit in the world that is shared by all living beings and God is also the same spirit. The human soul is seen as just part of the complete whole. A key Hindu belief is not to injure another soul by either thought, word or action. As animals are also believed to have souls, as an ideal, Hindus out of their kindness seek not to injure them and therefore being vegetarian is the best a person can do to prevent them suffering unnecessarily. Hence, around 50% of Hindus in the world dont eat meat, fish or eggs, seeing them all as potential living things.
The same does not extend to plant life as plants lack the emotions of fear and pain and therefore do not suffer when being 'killed'.
As i mentioned, this is the ideal and so it is not followed by all and neither is it complusory to do so. It is an individuals choice. Hinduism, unlike Christianity or Islam is not made up of dogmas that have to be followed with blind faith.
As for the cow, it is viewed as being the most selfless of all animals due to (a) the number of products humans obtain from its milk and (b) it being a key animal for agriculture in India (the birthplace of Hinduism) in the ploughing of fields.

Best Answer

Thanks for such a thoughtful response and a good explanation.

Best Answer

No problem ;)

Best Answer