I feel a driving, independent drive to try to be a good person... not because I want a reward at the end, but because I believe in the power of small actions, and trying to be a good person one bit at a time can impact the world

Best Answer

I like your answer... but then... what drives your sense of "good." How do you know something is good vs. bad? Just because it might hurt somebody that in the end wouldn't matter anyway?

Best Answer

You never know how your actions affect people. Just because you dont see it as outwardly negative, it doesn't mean its not. I just try to be mindful of my actions. I guess my drive comes from my sense of belonging in the human race, and I want to see us continue and move in a positive direction (not entirely likely, but a girl can dream!) :)

Best Answer

So you believe to be something similar to an ant? Harvesting day to day for the greater good of the colony even though it would go on without you and you wouldn't even be rewarded for it if you when you die....presuming there were no ant heaven? :-) I myself hope there is something after this life but i can't say that I believe or know. But i do know that i don't believe what is commonly preached among popular religions/beliefs.

Best Answer

An Atheist accepts responsibility for their actions and do not feel the need for the reward - punishment of a god system. Those who can only lead a moral life through the fear of a god are weak and lack any moral compass.<br />
For all you who are about to lecture me please note I didn't say all those who believe in a god.

Best Answer

Morality is not about obedience. It's about caring about the impact of one's acts. The impact is not just on us, you see?

Best Answer

Obey what? that silly little book... Nope I don't. Obey traffic laws yeah because I don't wanna get hit by some nut. As for the What keeps you here part, are you wishing we would all do some mass suicide for you? sorry not gonna happen we leave the mass suicide murder thing to the religious cults. And don't know who told you that all Atheists are "uncertain" or we fear the unknown as that isn't true either. And if we did leave you would miss us as who then could you try to convert and pester<br />
XXOO

Best Answer

Where did I come off as judgmental? Hellooooooooo? I'm agnogstic, so I dont think I'll be preaching to you anytime soon.

Best Answer

damn misspelled agnostic.

Best Answer

Obey who ?

Best Answer

Take your pick, god, men who have based much of the laws on the influence of religion, your conscience, self instilled or outside influenced morals....whatever. I suppose what i'm getting at is for a true athiest who believes that when we die there is nothing else, why go on living? Life is rather pointless isn't it? All for naught as they say? I keep reading people say there are consequences and that's fine and all, but so? Suicide surely isn't out of the question since i wouldn't be judged for it or remember it after i death right? As an agnostic, even I can't understand how people can believe indefinitely that there is nothing. I'm simply opened up tto the possibility.

Best Answer

I'm not an atheist but this is a very good question.. iF I DIDN'T BELIEVE IN GOD I DON'T HAVE A REASON TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING.. what is the point of living, if we don't have a savior to protect us from hell??

Best Answer

what keeps me believing is God's is His everlasting love.. He deliver us from hell right on the cross.. along with believing he did it for U and ME..

Best Answer

I don't obey--but I believe I have an innate sense of empathy and morality and a caring for other people.

Best Answer

what if God says that being a good person it isn't enough to to rise up to heaven? Good people do go to hell, the reason being is their unbelief.. Their faith wasn't on God.

Best Answer

Mithra never mentioned that to me.

Best Answer

I believe in God and am skeptical of all man made or curropted institutions like "religions". <br />
Why obey?... Hmm, simple there are cops with guns that will make u obey... if that is not enough there are swat officers w/ assault rifles to will make u obey if that... if that is not enough there are robotically obedient soldiers w/ machine guns and assuming u didn't submit already or in many jails this nation of da "free" has. Did u know the US has proportionally more prisoners than Stalin's USSR did or any current nation, yep even China?<br />
Normal people obey out of a common human decency and respect for each other. I think there is an instill fear in society to obey. There was a scientific study... since people where shocked Germans obeyed Hitler... the premise was fake electro shock and an actor would scream in pain and fake death if "killed"... most peopled obeyed to increasing shocks to the point if it was real voltage they would of killed the man. So obeying mindlessly is a human norm not deviation.<br />
Lol... f=uck the fe=deral government and curropt religion. Im not normal obedient lap dog... I learned a lot and I prayed and worked to un-learn half truths of this world and from my experience most people are forced or tricked into obeying someone.<br />
I honestly think there are 2 choices in life one we obey God's wisdom... "all my commandments can be summed up in one... love thy neighbor as thyself" or mammon (some versions say money or man or satan). I think about dying a lot and it scares me but not as much as it use to. I know that I will likely die young cause that is what this evil world does to good people but I strive to serve God and live honorably. It is nice to know I will be in heaven assuming I don't falter but my love for others is why I strive to be a good person. And having God's love over flows so naturally I can't help but help others... to the point of collapse at times emotional, mentally or physically or all of da above. <br />
I obey out of love... many obey out of fear (govt, neighbor kicking butt, death, etc).... in the bible it says where there is perfect love no fear can exist. So in a way fear is anti-love... not anger or hate interesting... knowing that makes sense why govt ala w=ar, T=ERRORIST and da such instill fear Sat=an's fav tool.

Best Answer

Social Morality. I do my day-to-day and don't wish to be randomly stabbed; ergo I will no randomly stab a stranger on the streets. Follow this to many other outlets for many other options.<br />
As for reward after death, I do not deal in checks to cash after my body hits a casket, especially when to honor that check I am suppose to live a life fraught with some sort of deep faith that I do not possess, or to keep my skepticism silent when in the temple of my mind it is screaming and revolted at the idea of religious faith, to me THAT is a sin of character.

Best Answer

No matter what we have proof of, what we expect to be rewarded with or what punishment we fear we are still aware of right and wrong.

Best Answer

there are only two things in life that are certainties - death and taxes, and since I'm still breathing, I'll have to keep coughing up my PAYE.<br />
Please be advised - I do not partake of any GodSquad theories. The only thing I believe in, is ME.

Best Answer

Most people that adopt anti-social tendacies, regardless of whether they are atheist, don't last very long in society.

Best Answer

morals.... even more so. Instead of being worried about the wrath of God, or going to hell, it's about stepping up and being a man..or woman. Being decent to the people around you and setting an example for the future generation. It's about the feeling you have inside you that tells you right from wrong. Compassion.....

Best Answer

I am a poly atheist. There are HUNDREDS of gods I don't believe in. I have no fear of anything, particularly the unknown and I am well aware that the clock will run down some day. One day I will die, and that will be that. Why obey? Obey WHAT? I follow the laws laid down by my society or I got to jail. Not wanting to do that, I choose to obey the law of man. Would I build a house for myself knowing that I would die before I finished it? Yeppers...doing that every day. But the house is not for me. It is for my atheist children that I work on it. And when I am gone, the house can continue through my progeny.<br />
K? Good. Now go pound your pulpit.

Best Answer

hey, I'm not judging nor am I religious by any means. I'm agnostic if you must know...no need to get your panties in a wad.

Best Answer

well met Bro...no worries...

Best Answer

;) its all good

Best Answer

because the pretty lady with the riding crop and thigh high boots told be to. She also promised me a cookie

Best Answer