franklyspeaking franklyspeaking 56-60, M 9 Answers Aug 28, 2012 in Politics

Most people in the US don't even know what the term socialism means. It's just used to manipulate politics.

Best Answer

The communist countries that called themselves "Socialist" were doing so as a marketing move. Sort of like calling something "tax reform" and then giving the wealthy huge tax breaks--to the detriment of the poor and middle class....

Best Answer

Hell no. The people who call the US a socialist country either flunked high school, believes everything the RNC tells them is holy writ or prays at an alter to Joseph McCarthy. Basically anyone who has no clue what the word means. However NSA whistle blowers are drawing parallels with the GDR and the US has the Stazi beat for a police and surveillance state.

Best Answer

The US isn't really socialist at this point - and frankly? Socialism isn't a *bad* thing. I actually think it would be good to become a bit more socialist...if we could sustain it. Problem is? Socialist programs aren't exactly the easiest thing to sustain finically.

Best Answer

We've even got republicans calling each other communists and the word socialist has just become a euphemism in the US for anyone who supports higher taxes than you do. I tell such people Mexico has a 13% tax rate and Somalia is even cheaper. Hell, I'd support the government paying their airfare just to get rid of the jerks as long as they renounce their US citizenship.

Best Answer

To me, scocialism is a cradle to grave concept. The government takes care of all our needs. They " level the playing field" by taking from those who have worked to get ahead and giving to those who believe the world owes them a living. What happens when the takers start to vastly outwiegh the producers? Rather than the people who resent high taxes going elsewhere, why don't we ship the people who want a scocialist utopia to scocialist countrys?

Best Answer

Socialism isn't some kind of wishy-washy cradle-to-the-grave concept. That's your family doctor or insurance company sales pitch or whatever. It is the government owning the basic means of production and redistributing the wealth. In the US now the government doesn't own squat in the way of the means of production and some 400 people own more than half the population combined.

Best Answer

Oh god. A Ayn Rand devotee. :|

Best Answer

Haha who you callin' that, MysticAnarchist?

Best Answer

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark seem pretty nice.

Best Answer

I don't believe the US is a socialist country yet, but I do believe there are those that wish to push us in that direction. We cannot continue ti sustain it. As to which country we should move towards to be less socialist....I'd say in many (not all) aspects we need to move back towards our own roots.

Best Answer

Back to the days of slavery ?

Best Answer

Nah, I wouldn't include slavery. Why, is that something you'd like to bring back, Peza?

Best Answer

What about women being not allowed to vote. That would take us back to just the early 1900's.

Best Answer

NORTH KOREA

Best Answer

Netherlands and Amsterdam

Best Answer

??

Best Answer

Mexico

Best Answer