Biomedical gerontologist Aubrey de Grey says doctors could soon "cure" aging and extend life indefinitely. That “the first person who will live to see their 150th birthday has already been born. And the first person to live for 1,000 years could be less than 20 years younger.” (Google “Scientist sees aging cured”) . . I would. . .
2Buddies 2Buddies 46-50, M 38 Answers Jul 6, 2011

I don't think so. Unless we won't be able to reproduce until we're 600 years old, the earth will be a horrible place to live without death, and leaving space/resources for others who are born after us.

Best Answer

You got a point there. Indefinite longevity implies population control and curtailment of resources (or at least tight controls), no? I guess the top-tier of the power-chain would reap the benefits.

Best Answer

Not to mention, when animal rights activists will jump in and say, "why don't all living things have the right to longevity, if we have the technology?"

Best Answer

well, as long as my life is happy i would.

Best Answer

The main reason I would too. Well said!

Best Answer

Yes, I definitely would... you would have time to experience so many things and learn so many things i would have time to do all the things I want to do in this life and I could gain so much wisdom.

Best Answer

Oh yes, great point there! The chance to experience at a exponential rate. I suppose the term 'maturity' and adulthood would have to be re-defined in relation to the weight of multitudes of experiences?

Best Answer

for sure! life is fantastic! i would live longer than that if possible! think of all the knowledge, the love , the sex you could have in such a life; the things you could achieve...MAN that would be something!

Best Answer

Wow, many good answers! To say that the breaking of new ground for lifetime achievements and experiences would be profound!?

Best Answer

It's been mentioned already but the world population at least in industrialized countries would explode. I believe countries like the United States would have institute a strict immigration policy, if it's bad now with illegal immigration can you imagine if people started living longer, what our borders would become.<br />
Now if it was me and a select few others that had the 1000 year old gene it probably be kinda cool to celebrate new centuries. Could you imagine the lecture tour for these Granturians (would that be a word to describe 1000 year olds). In the year 2569, a person could be guest speaker to talk about what they were doing when Apollo 11 landed on the moon 500 years earlier. Could be around for the United States Tricentennial, I remember all the hoopla involving the Bicentennial in 1976. <br />
I guess as long as I was healthy where I would be able to participate in physical activities and be able to support myself financially to say I'm 975 years old, heck why not live to be 1000.

Best Answer

Yep sure would.

Best Answer

I hear ya!

Best Answer

Absolutely. Live long enough to be a problem for your childre... your children's children...

Best Answer

Ya! That way my g-g-g-great-grand kids could sit on my lap and ask for a loan on the SuperDebt I left them? Hahaha!

Best Answer

that is a lie because there is no way to stop the degeneration of cells because if they were even close to a breakthrough in that area, they would have cured many fatal diseases by now or at least cured something that also causes death or brain death which is caused by the degeneration of cells.

Best Answer

if i didn,t have to worry about a place to live and food and money then yes i would but being poor no thank you.

Best Answer

Yes but only if I could stay like 22 years old. I would want to live that long and be old

Best Answer

Wow, you hit a home run with this question. My answer is the same as many of the others.<br />
1: if I could be relatively youthfull for a good portion of it.<br />
2: quality of life would have to be there<br />
The short version: Hell yes!

Best Answer

That seems to be the theme - quality life with vigor.

Best Answer

well, how should i say this... YEAH!!!

Best Answer

Woof!

Best Answer

If I had a lot of money to live on every year, why not.

Best Answer

For sure. There is just so much to do and accomplish.

Best Answer

Definitely Yes!

Best Answer

no,not in this world

Best Answer

Perhaps in the New World Order? (oh, um excuse me - that Is This World; duh).

Best Answer

who knows?....................................................

Best Answer

Mm. Probably not. Unless they come up with a cure for poverty, tiredness, and boredom. I don't know...I might not mind living to 200 or so, if quality of life were there and my loved ones could live a long time too. It would be BAD to be the only person to be that longlived. <br />
Shoot....i'm relatively healthy, only 43, and sometimes I'm already tired of living. But, in all fairness, maybe that's just things breaking down already.

Best Answer

Thinking it over, I would probably like about 300 or so myself. But I'm sure the humdrum of a life of witnessing history repeat itself would make me wonder. Maybe the Methuselah Syndrome isn't so bad.

Best Answer

I think it would be cool if I could develop a lifelong habit of positive thinking! As it is, the longer I live and the more I get to know of people, the more pessimistic and jaded I get. By the time I hit 200, whoa Nelly! LOL

Best Answer

I figure I could just 'download' a fresh attitude by then. They should have the corporate tools for that by then....

Best Answer

And the download'll probably be full of viruses created by matrix people! Ack! :)

Best Answer

Haha, you're probably right! I'll pick the blue pill then, Woof!!

Best Answer

I don;t think I would. Unless I knew the world was going to change for the better over that time.

Best Answer

Cool. I've found though that you can compare life as pretty regular. You know like even though life has its mountains and valleys, but most of life is definitely spent in The Plains. Having said that, over time about 85% would be in the plains. That's one of the reasons why I would choose yes.

Best Answer

I do not want to live forever.

Best Answer

would I want to see 1000 years of other ppl's behavior.... Would I want to live that long and be mostly made of plastic, metal and rubber? Never mind that. I agree with LeelaLafont. We're over-crowded as it is. The planet's resources only take us so far before they are all gone.

Best Answer

then again ppl's instinct is to live on... so who knows

Best Answer