My late Grandfather crewed on "S" class submarines, which were built between 1918 and 1920, after his first cruise in the Navy and subsequent schooling at Groton (sp?). Those boats had a test depth (the depth guaranteed by the manufacturer) of 200 feet. Just before he passed away, he'd been able to pester a local ba<x>se commander (he did 32.5 years in the Navy) into letting him go down "one more time" on a submarine which turned out to be a 688 Class fast attack boat going out for a shakedown after a big service workover. He was on top of the world on that trip, he got to take it down to 500' and then blow the tanks for an emergency surface. It put some of the the frosting on long and event filled life...

Best Answer

That is really neat :)

Best Answer

I am claustrophobic, so yeah, I'd say no.

Best Answer

I agree. I'm far too claustrophobic.

Best Answer

damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead

Best Answer

I've taken a tour of a sub before while it was docked. There were lots of ladders to go up and down, but I enjoyed the time I was onboard. I don't know exactly how I'd feel if I was in one while it was underway and I knew I couldn't just get off when I wanted to.

Best Answer

Yeah I'd be ok with that but submerging...no thanks

Best Answer

I have been in a sub shop and I can say going into a submarine is a little like going into the dark.

Best Answer

I'd be scared...what if we lost pressure or sprung a leak. Agh there's no way out!!!

Best Answer

Yes i would.

Best Answer

I went onto one of Canada's submarines in Halifax.. I was not allowed to take pictures though for some reason.. but they let me sit at the drivers wheel of a battle boat.. go figure

Best Answer

i would definitely go that would be sooo awesome!

Best Answer