but you haven't seen this person in about three months, nor talked to them in about a month, how would you react if they popped in to see you at the local university where you worked, with no warning, but just wanting to say hi, maybe talk a little bit? And maybe you suspect that they like you a little bit (in more than just a friendly way), but you're not interested in them... Would you be standoffish? Would you gladly talk to them? How do you think the average person would react in this situation? Please, people, I am trying to figure out what to expect... To clarify, I am the one going to see him...and I am a former student just looking to be friends, but I will confess I have a little bit of a thing for him, although I would never act on it...
lonelyheart807 lonelyheart807 41-45, F 9 Answers Sep 9, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

Be confident in yourself and you should be ok.

Best Answer

I'll try. Sometimes I am really shy around him...

Best Answer

I'm sure he'll be flattered but beyond that I don't know. There's really only one way to know and that's to risk seeing him again. I hope it goes well for you but if it doesn't, you'll know where he stands and you'll know it's not going to be what you'd hoped for. You'll then be able to move forward and meet someone else.<br />
Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Best Answer

Thanks, but I already know he isn't interested (long story). I would just like to become better friends...

Best Answer

There's nothing wrong with that. It's going to depend on whether he's okay with this. Some guys are fine with this but others are afraid you're always going to be hoping for more. Maybe he'll be flattered that you find him attractive and he'll cherish you as a friend.

Best Answer

I don't know about the flattered part, but I could hope he would cherish me as a friend. I could use a good friend in my life...

Best Answer

Then just let him know his friendship is important to you. I'm sure you have something to offer him and would be a good friend to him.

Best Answer

Thanks...I hope he sees it that way too...

Best Answer

The worse that can happen is he say please do not come to my work,call me or maybe he say I am w/someone and coming here is awkward.

Best Answer

Well, I am technically still a student there (just not his), but I would still respect his wishes, if that was what he wanted...

Best Answer

Don't be rude, but most importantly don't give him/her false hope.

Best Answer

Thanks, I am the one going to see him...

Best Answer

I would advise against it. Never a good idea to visit someone at work- they could be busy and not able to talk. Not only that, it's just awkward, especially since you haven't seen them in three months or talked to them. There is a reason for that. Send a casual email first and see how that goes over.

Best Answer

Well, the only reason we didn't see each other for three months is because he didn't teach this summer. And I was only going to drop by and say hi after his class...I feel silly emailing him and asking permission to do that...

Best Answer

Okay... but...... during those three months, how often did he contact you and say "Hey. How are you doing. Lets get together"? You wouldn't be asking his permission, just play it casual like "haven't seen you for a while, just wondering how you're doing. Let me know if you would like to get together for coffee or a drink sometime". Put the ball in his court and see how he responds to that before creating a potentially awkward situation.

Best Answer

Wow! As if I would have the guts to do that much. I don't have that high of expectations...I am just hoping he'll have 5-10 minutes to talk with me...

Best Answer

Use your head on this. Work is not a good place for visiting someone for casual reasons. Again, when was the last time he tried contacting you?Don't appear needy. Or, shoot him the email and say something like " I'm going to be up in your area on _____. What time do you take lunch.? Want to get together"?

Best Answer

Again, not an option. He will be done work when I see him...class will be over. We both work full time jobs, so I can't ever do lunch, even if he would want to. What harm can come from stopping by to say hi?

Best Answer

Because it's just not cool to drop by somewhere unannounced, especially if you haven't heard from him in months. What if he hasn't tried contacting you because he's not interested in a friendship? Why put yourself through that? Send an email first. Ask him how he's doing. If he makes no attempt at asking you to get together, than it's probably not a good idea just to drop by.

Best Answer

No...I haven't seen him in a few months because he didn't teach this summer. We actually exchanged emails a few times. He actually told me to feel free to email him any time...and that was after class was over. At one point I requested his friendship on FB, and he accepted. So it's not quite as you make it seem...

Best Answer

Omg. Are you really that blind? Not trying to be mean or out of line, but think about what you are saying! Fine, you didn't see him because he wasn't teaching, but, if he was interested in anything outside of the classroom, he would have made an attempt to see you! "Feel free to email anytime" means just that- no mention of getting together as friends or anything of that nature or having you stop by work. People email back and forth all the time. Facebook? Come on! Seems like this friendship is online only and one sided. You seem like a nice, sweet person. Don't let yourself be fooled.

Best Answer

That's scary. A talk in a very public place is in order.

Best Answer

I am the one going to see him, and I am only wanting to talk...

Best Answer

Ok. Are you female? Because its a very different story if you're female..

Best Answer

Yes I am a female...how is that different?

Best Answer

It just is. I think you may be OK. Just don't blurt out the crush business.

Best Answer

Okay...believe me, there is no way I would have the nerve to tell him...

Best Answer