Personally I had some doubts and then 'Stargate' was the last "straw". >.> Not that I believe in aliens. It just got me thinking.
altshift altshift 26-30 21 Answers Jul 27, 2012

I was raised census Anglican so never had strong faith to begin with. But what really got me is when I was 8 years old, I was told a lady in my religious instruction class that dinosaurs never existed. Never. EVER tell an eight year old that. Atheist for life.

Best Answer

lol what? I don't understand people that say dinosaurs never existed.

Best Answer

Well she was a young earth creationist. If you believe the earth is 6,000 years old a 65 million year-old fossil kind of throws that theory out the window. The only response is to clap hands on your ears and go "I'M NOT LISTENING".

Best Answer

Hahaha!

Best Answer

lol, that's great.

Best Answer

lol, best answer EVER. You should ask her what she thinks Behemoths and Leviathans are ;)

Best Answer

The Christians where I live pretty much believe the bible is 100% true and that evolution is a lie.

At12 I realized how inconsistent the bible was and that evolution just made sense.

And a goodly number of the people who got me hating myself and wanting to die were Christian.

They seem pretty hateful for people who are supposed to be following Christ's example.

I looked into gnosticism, but eventually discarded the Christian God and Christian doctrine entirely

The Christians around me have no little part in that. Had I been accepted, I probably would've drifted into a very relaxed Christianity.

As it is, I think of my spirituality as something that's illogical, but I seem to need it somehow. It seems to make me closer to whom I aspire to be.

Best Answer

When I realised that we (Human beings) decided that we were SOOOOO important that we couldn't just be here for procreation (unlike all the other species).

When I understood that we are so frightened of dying that we had to make up something to "extend life".

When I accepted that we are born, we live, we reproduce, we die - we are really not that important in the grand scheme of things!

Best Answer

You are very important to Earth...if you weren't here, there would be no reason to have a planet Earth in the first place...

Best Answer

Like every other species; survival of the species is important - not the individual

Best Answer

I have a problem with the idea that people are different to other life too. However I see God as within all life, not just people. Who says animals are just here to live and die? People/ the Bible say that, I don't agree with it at all. Animals have feelings too, and if God is the feelings, then they have God in them.

Best Answer

From a "genes eye view" - yes I've read A Selfish Gene.

Best Answer

Well, it's not that I don't believe anymore...it's more like I have begun to see different viewpoints. This ended up with me concluding that everything is a possibility that should be respected and studied so that we may understand ourselves.

That and all of the emotional abuse I suffered at a private Christian school when I was a boy sure didn't help

Best Answer

I see full on sceptics as following a "religious" belief they have no proof as as much as the rest of us. Love your attitude. Sorry about your abuse at the hands of Christians, happened to too too many kids.

Best Answer

I never really believed but one day I had a kind of epiphany - if "god" is our father, then he is a really ****** parent - and an absentee one at that. If there's a god then he doesn't deserve us for his children. Would you let your kids do the things we do to each other?

Best Answer

But how else are they going to learn not to do that stuff? Everybody keeps telling them not to do it, but they still do...so that is Gods fault?

Best Answer

Well clearly we haven't learned not to do it so either:
1) God doesn't exist
2) God doesn't care
so we carry on as normal, killing each other and raping the planet (often in his name.)
I suspect it's the former but if he ever proves me wrong I'm gonna kick him in his almighty balls for being a ******

Best Answer

Do you approve of all the things your kids do? Can you stop them doing bad things always and for all their lives? Do you offer them a kind and listening ear and the willingness to soothe their feelings if they come to, but they have to come to you first right? What if they feel so ashamed they don't want you to know what they've done, and then can't get your help? Are you a ****** psrent then?

Best Answer

Bad feelings exist, therefor God doesn't, because if God is good, then if he existed he would make only good feelings in this world? Is there any purpose to bad feelings? If we've never felt bad, how could we have empathy for others who do? It's beyond me to imagine what a world of only good feelings would be like, but I hope to know one day. I lived in a world of bad feelings as a child, yet somehow it made me a better kinder person, maybe there is a God who helped me through my traumas without being permanently irreparably damaged.

Best Answer

If he is perfect and omnipotent then yes. Your argument is specious - if I had kids and they did something bad, I would explain to them why it was bad and if necessary discipline them. But I would also do my utmost to protect them, keep them safe and educate them to be fine, upstanding members of society. Your "god" doesn't do any of that. He allows people to rape, kill, wage war, steal, with no input whatsoever. People do exactly what they will, Aleister Crowley was right "do what thou wilt is the whole of the law" and god is impotent because he fails to act or to exist. You might be a kind person in your own world but that had nothing to do with some imaginary supernatural being

Best Answer

When I was in elementary school I realized that there was no more evidence to support a belief in a god than there was to support a belief in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster.

Best Answer

At around 12 I had a creationist scripture teacher. I knew his arguments were angry and stupid (I believed and still do in evolution) and it disillusioned me in Christianity seeing someone as dumb and angry and argumentative as him trying to hammer his teachings into sniggering highschool students. At that stage I became agnostic, I didn't know if there was a God, but I knew I didn't agreethe Bible was His words, I became convinced the Bible was just written by people.

At around age 37 I became sceptical of all my spiritual beliefs, through understanding how easily peoples minds could be tricked. It related to my mother and her narcissism, a mentalist called Derryn Brown influenced me too. I became a full blown atheist and didn't believe in God, I even wore an atheist t-shirt!

However at age 42 I rediscovered my spiritual side from profound personal experiences that fully convinced me, though I wouldn't expect them to convince anyone else, I wouldn't believe them if they were someone elses experiences being told to me. I now believe in God again, as a great vine of purely good feelings connected to everything and within everyone.

I wish you the best, feel welcome to talk to me if you want to ask anything.

By the way, thank you so much for asking this question! What a great topic!

Best Answer

Why did I stop believing in religious bullshit?

Education. Experience. Maturity. Rational thinking. Facts.

Religitards lack at least one of those things, and usually all of them.

Best Answer

As one who was drawn to the outdoors earlier on in life, I rather excelled in Biology and in Earth sciences. I come to understand the physical evidence there is for evolution, what we know of our universe around us, and then I began to appreciate it all as quite a remarkable thing indeed, but no need really for a god to have created all this. I have come to see our existence as cosmic roll of the dice in an enormously huge universe(s)

Best Answer

There is a difference in believing in God and believing in God the creator of life on Earth. You can believe one without the other. It's possible to believe in God and the Big Bang. Look into the ancient Indian Brahma religion which Hinduism came from.

Best Answer

people. i'm not positive that i've completely stopped believing, but the people were really what got to me. i was raised in a very small church, and as i got older i realized the people i had looked up to weren't what i thought they were. then i started going to other churches, and although there are some truly great people, there are also some huge fakes. One thing I remember specifically was going to church with my ex, and he was in the choir. I was always really moved by the music, because the choir was so into it... then i went to choir practice one night, and realized the director would tell them, "okay worship here, lift your hands here, pray here... " and I felt like I had been fooled because everything was so rehearsed. I just have a lot of questions that I can't find an answer to.

Best Answer

And you can find those answers if you read what they tell you not to read and look where they tell you not to look...

Best Answer

I personally believe in God, but my sister is agnostic. We both had the same very religious upbringing, but I know that she just began to have doubts when she was 19. Then, she was raped by her boyfriend of the time, and that pretty much did her in with her belief in God. Her whole life has been pretty tough, and I think she just lost faith.

Best Answer

I grew up in a Christian home, and read the bible a few times. I got sick of people not answering my genuine questions but replying by accusing me of lack of faith (even the bible says you shouldn't blindly follow something you don't understand). Also, I grew up in a really evil household, the bible was used as an excuse for sexism, pretty significant abuse, theft, to control people, homo-negativity, and various forms of discrimination, and was repeatedly taken out of context to justify diff individuals own personal agendas. There are great Christians, but I can't stand being near organized religion anymore, and if God is an angry God allowing evil to go on in his name seems like the kind of thing he ought to be upset about.

Sorry, I'm really wordy.

Best Answer

It's fine. Wordy answers are great ;D

Best Answer

I didn't stop believing. I never started to begin with. The bible is the biggest bucket of BS ever created. Religion is for idiots and fools.

Best Answer