Questionator Questionator 26-30 185 Answers Sep 18, 2012 in Community

Question of the Day

The President does not enact laws, that is the job of Congress. The President's job is to enforce those laws. Two totally different branches of government.

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

Seems every branch of the government thinks they have the right to legislate.

Best Answer

As president I would enact martial law.

Best Answer

^^I would change that

Best Answer

actually you are wrong there, the president has last say.. he can veto anything that comes to him.. and it starts the process all over again

Best Answer

In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions that were handed down between the American Civil War and World War II. In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval. On October 1, 2002 United States Northern Command was established to provide command and control of Department of Defense homeland defense efforts and to coordinate defense support of civil authorities.
Martial law is the imposition of military rule by military authorities over designated regions on an emergency basis.
Martial law is usually imposed on a temporary basis when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively (e.g., maintain order and security, or provide essential services), when there are extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread.
In most cases, military forces are deployed to subdue the crowds, to secure government buildings and key or sensitive locations, and to maintain order.[1] Generally, military personnel replace civil authorities and perform some or all of their functions. In full-scale martial law, the highest-ranking military officer would take over, or be installed, as the military governor or as head of the government, thus removing all power from the previous executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.[1]
Martial law can be used by governments to enforce their rule over the public. Such incidents may occur after a coup d'├ętat (such as Thailand in 2006); when threatened by popular protest (China, Tiananmen Square protests of 1989); to suppress political opposition (Poland in 1981); to stabilize insurrections or perceived insurrections (Canada, The October Crisis of 1970). Martial law may be declared in cases of major natural disasters, however most countries use a different legal construct, such as a state of emergency.
Martial law has also been imposed during conflicts and in cases of occupations, where the absence of any other civil government provides for an unstable population. Examples of this form of military rule include post World War II reconstruction in Germany and Japan as well as the southern reconstruction following the U.S. Civil War.
Typically, the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians. Civilians defying martial law may be subjected to military tribunal (court-martial).

Best Answer

the president runs the executive branch his job is to sign bills into law. he also represents the United States in negotiations with foreign nations. he is the Commander in chief of the military. he does have executive priviledge. congress is the legislative branch there job is to represent the people in their states or districts when deciding on bills to send to the president. the judicial branch is responsible for upholding and interpretting the law. read your constitution

Best Answer

Isn't it the judicial that enforces laws?

Best Answer

thanks for the lesson in civics. How about describing a law that you would not, without a doubt or even a reread, would you not veto? The legislators do make the laws but the president still passes them. He can also issue an executive order.

Best Answer

not really, they uphold the law. Just like a regular superior court judge doesn't enforce the law. they ensure it is upheld. The various cops enforce the law.

Best Answer

I was just about to post that. Feh. It's so much more complicated than people make it out to be. Looks like Questionator needs to retake US Gov...

Best Answer

The Pres Has great power through EOs look them up!

Best Answer

NDAA changed all that!

Best Answer

Oh that is coming much sooner than you know when China forecloses on the US, for payment on the trillions we have borowed from them. When you pay your property tax it will be paid to the Republic of China.

Best Answer

STRICT animal cruelty/neglect laws.

Top Answer #2
Best Answer

Vegetarian for 8 years.

Best Answer

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well!

Best Answer

vegetarian or vegan?

Best Answer

you must be a proud woman

Best Answer

Equal Rights for same-sex couples.

Best Answer

But why would you do that? Just asking

Best Answer

Same reason you'd want equal rights for everyone. We're all supposed to be governed under one law, not one for whites and one for blacks, or one for men and one for women. Every citizen should have the same rights and responsibilities.

Best Answer

Free College for the first two years

Best Answer

Yeah, because we all know how valuable community college is for 75% of the drunken morons that attend it. How about you bums get a job and pay for your own education?

Best Answer

How do you know that he is a bum? Maybe he knows someone who is having problems with college. He answered a question he didn't need your response

Best Answer

I'd put the "God Bless" back into America.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

I agree

Best Answer

God has been the most quoted name when it comes to election campaigns --how about we take religious views OUT of politics. Not so that we all become athiest, but so that we vote for someone based on his past and present actions.

Best Answer

Agreed! Religion should have no part of it and should be out completely

Best Answer

to say god bless is a violation of the separation of church and state. It is a violation of the constitution. It may be a small issue to most taxpayers but what about those taxpayers who take offense at paying into a system that won't back its word to its people? What next? a slip here some lost ground there. next thing you know we're an arab nation of christians. Say goodbye to Vegas and **** n liquor. those would be soon to go in any religiously based government.

Best Answer

Yeah.....my current government is just outstanding. Such morals and values.....I don't know what I'd do if some God-loving screwhead was looking out for my best interests.....he might actually care.

Best Answer

I think the first law I would pass would be term limits for all politicians and civil servants. The purpose of this law would be to force politicians and bureaucrats to actually spend time in the private sector so they could learn how such things as capitalism, accountability, responsibility and real productivity work. Too many of them have been allowed to become parasites.

Best Answer

I agree 100%

Best Answer

okay, call me a sore loser if you will but i just want to point out that, of the winners, the first guy didn't answer the question, the third guys answer is un constitutional and there are already strict animal rights laws on the books. it's their enforcement that's lacking. thats all. the following is my original answer: I would make the practice of lobbying in congress illegal and I would take away the person status of corporations. ..If I had that kind of power. Cuz it's congress that makes the laws. The president is only 1/3 of our leadership. The other 2/3 are 1/3 congress/senate and 1/3 supreme court. President represents the executive branch, btw. <br />
Oh! while the price of gold is so high, I would try to put us back on the gold standard of economics too.

Best Answer

So would you also cut the governments ability to tax corporations too? A basic tenant of democracy is there should be no taxation without representation - and it's part of the reason for the Citizens United verdict.

Best Answer

The income they generate would be taxed because it will still belong to people. Those people would be taxed accordingly. of course. Who paid federal income tax prior to 1913/1912? Could it have been those who created the federal reserve? They could go back to paying it. As it is now, they're putting an undue amount of pressure onto the working class who, after all, are the ones making the corporations all their money. Just a reminder, Big Business is getting their tax breaks because they're supposed to be providing employment. It is that employment that pays the tax. When they get tax breaks and cut out jobs that they then send overseas, they're not holding up their end. They're really just holding us all up.

Best Answer

We the people allow corporations to exist and we the people can enact laws to tax corporations. Corporations are not people.

Best Answer

I know they're not people. The reason they were given the status of a person is because we're a republic, we belong to the people. If they weren't regarded as people they wouldn't be allowed to buy land. What else is peculiar about corporations is that unlike a person they can't be singled out in court. That is they're not responsible for their actions the same way individual people are. For an individual to attempt to attack a corp. would be just like trying to attack a cloud of smoke that turns back into a solid once the attack is done. yet corps are responsible for such laws and practices as eminent domain. If they tell your city council members that they need your land because its for the betterment of society, which could just mean their project will generate more revenue in property tax because they want to squeeze 4 homes where there is now only yours, guess who gets bounced from their home. They come up with an amount that they assume to be fair market value and thats it. you have no say.

Best Answer

I think they are really an entity, not a person. A corporation can't in its self vote. The register voters in side that corporation can vote which should be the representation. If that doesn't work the way I think, then there should be a limit of $1000 per voter. It's the big money from corporations the overly influence politicians who can't stay on track with their real responsibilities any way. This stuff was outlawed in the 1800's, Four corners New York. Now it has become legal.... What we are saying is that the power of dollar not the vote is what puts people in office.

Best Answer

I do recall the part of the bill that states that corporations are entities. That's what I was getting at with the you can't attack them back. They turn inti just a bunch of individuals. But the same act (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. For some reason I think it came out sometime during the first world war{just like the practice of paying individual federal income tax, just like the official formation of the federal reserve) &lt;=3 red flags&lt;&lt;&lt; -that act also gave corporations rights as people. Otherwise they couldn't own our country, as we are a republic. we belong to us. But it's turned into we belong to U.S. marcus2012, what you're saying is in line with my original proposed law. get rid of the practice of lobbying

Best Answer

Term limits for congress.

Best Answer

Not just Congress but the whole shabang.

Best Answer

Stop risking with the troops going into wars pretending to be the one who controls the earth!

Best Answer

I think Kuwait and South Korea might disagree with you there. Also Japan, which would probably be getting overrun with Chinese troops right about now if there were no fear the US would become involved.

Best Answer

that's only because we will not let them defend themselves as we put into their constitution that they will not have any kind of sizeable fighting force anymore after WWII. they might have a reserve type of an arrangement. But not like before when it was actually Japan that was constantly invading China.

Best Answer

Human beings are incapable of overcoming the desire to dominate each other. If there were only two persons left on the planet one would be trying to tell the other what to do. I realize not all people are this way but power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.Only when one can rid themselve of self righteous pride can they elevate their consciousness to the level of understanding that is required for the peaceful coexistence of all life. Problem is, it's not easy. You have to be aware of the need for a purpose to your life beyond satisfying your own desires. You must believe in an existence beyond the earthly plane. If not then there would be no point except to address your own needs in the short time you have in which to do it.

Best Answer

Legalize pot today and get high tonight.

Best Answer

NO PANTS FRIDAY.

Best Answer

Good idea. Friday should be skirt day

Best Answer

gay rights!

Best Answer

Unlimited free pizza for all! Vote for me!!

Best Answer

"first thing we'll do, is kill all the lawyers"

Best Answer

Enact the "because I said so"-ocracy : bye bye democracy hello All Hail Dente !

Best Answer

Well I like my spaghetti 'al dente', does that count? ;)

Best Answer

who is this 'al dente' and why does he keep messing with my pastas!?

Best Answer

dispose of murderers and make the rest of the criminals work for people instead of normal people having to work and pay for them.

Best Answer

Whoa, whoa, whoa... did you say dispose of all the murderers? I better bump you off before you get too powerful.

Best Answer

Submit a bill to stop all methods of tampering with social security.

Best Answer

....withdraw all US troops from foreign soil....then, cut off all foreign aid, with the exception of medical aid...

Best Answer

As President, I wouldn't have the power to enact or repeal any laws. I would, however, have authority over the federal agencies responsible for enforcing laws. My first official action as President would be removing the firearms mandate of the BATFE and issuing an Executive Order that no individuals are to be arrested for simple possession of any sort of firearm, using the BATFE's own desc<x>ription of "firearm" as outlined in the GCA, effectively nullifying any and all gun control laws ever passed. <br />
Not one gun control law ever passed has kept guns out of the hands of criminals. John Wilkes Booth, Charles Guiteau, Leon Czolgosz, and Lee Harvey Oswald all committed their crimes with guns, and if laws banning guns can't protect the most powerful person in the country, who can they protect?

Best Answer

Authorize public nudity !

Best Answer