I'm not saying you do, I was just wondering if you do because most of the older people I had on fb took it very seriously. For instance, if I don't add them they actually bring it up when we see each other or if I don't put up pictures they're in so they could be tagged they constantly ask me to post them. Stuff like that.
InTheMiddle88 InTheMiddle88 22-25, F 17 Answers Apr 25, 2012

Social media sites (FB and EP are plenty for me; I don't 'tweet' or 'pinterest') are things I engage in for my "mental down time"... . I definitely like to read; my feelings aren't easily bruised; and it beats cleaning house. I had a tooth pulled today; it's why I'm up at 4 a.m., waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in because I hate pain meds in general.<br />
But I type about 120 wpm, which means I can "think out loud" at pretty high speed..... not always a good thing, but like I said, this is my mindless time... what I do when I DON'T want to take life seriously. At least not MY life... . I don't watch television, so the Internet is where I get my news, and my "fix", if you will. ;)<br />
But I do know people, especially with facebook (it's almost a cult these days, no?) who, like, live to read between the lines; take every little thing personally, etc.. Those people get 'unfriended' quickly because I don't do drama. Really negative people meet the same 'fate'. But I don't just friend everybody I went to high school with but can't remember, either... nor just any random strangers here on EP. I check out those groups and stories first. People with thousands of friends? Can live just fine without me. And people who want to argue on here? Need therapy. Seriously. I come here to read and write. And I don't want people 'bummin' me out' during my mental vacations on the Internet. ;)

Best Answer

And to those people who refer to it as "fakebook"; you must not have any real friends in the real world, no? Facebook allows me to keep up with my kids at college; my best friend from high school who lives over a thousand miles away. Since I moved, we can't share our lives in the real world any more. There's my favorite former boss, who I really did share a good friendship with. And maybe two people who I don't know personally, but who share my causes and crusades: the Gulf Oil Spill, for one. There's nothing "fake" about my friendships on facebook. Really, it's EP where we all have "imaginary friends", no?

Best Answer

Agree Absolutely!

Best Answer

Well said. Definitely agree. Fb is my place to stay connected with friends who don't live near.

Best Answer

Having been on these boxes since the hand crank days ;-) I don't take anything on the internet too seriously. I do know many many people who get overly anxious and angry online. I'm still trying to train them up to realize the reality of the "Anonymous person behind a screen on the other side of the world" concept. As for the social site drama, I tell them to just pick up the dam phone if it's that important or stop bitcn'n

Best Answer

Everyone has their reasons for being on ep and the other sites,as for EP it is something,that fills a void,that I don't get in the out side world,I am retired now and these people have their reasons.Don't worry about any reason, let them be happy what ever. If don't want to be bothered by them you can block them and your troubles will be over.

Best Answer

Which is exactly what I did, and surprisingly I didn't hear any drama over me blocking them.

Best Answer

I just think many take their friends list seriously and aren't in it for numbers like the younger folk are ( well many of them ) . So they may wonder why family etc don't add them .<br />
I actually find the young ones take it more seriously than the older ones , they see the sites for what they are and don't get swept up . They realise that most people couldn't give a crap if they are eating a chocolate bar or not .

Best Answer

I would have to say my answer would be the same as digitalia each on its own merits.<br />
There are people out there for whom this is the only way they can reach out and then there are the trolls.<br />
I hate that phrase a "certain age" it makes me feel as though I am about to draw my pension and collapse into a nursing home.

Best Answer

haha sorry I just didn't want to offend anyone, which I guess lead to offending people usin that phrase. oops.

Best Answer

Nope you should never take these sites Too seriously

Best Answer

Some people can be 55 years old,but they still didn't grow up.

Best Answer

I won't go on FB, will not Twitter, but enjoy EP

Best Answer

i think it is a person related not age related, some people do and others do not

Best Answer

Nope, its all fun and everything, but its not the real world

Best Answer

Which is why I get so surprised when people bring it up in person and act like fb is real life.

Best Answer

Personally I feel that people in general at this time take little things too seriously as the dumbing down of America gets into full swing.

Best Answer

Im over 50. I just use FB for friends and family. EP? well sometimes I take it seriously, sometimes not. Ive never used Twitter and I don't expect to.

Best Answer