maddy4601 maddy4601 13-15 18 Answers Jan 9, 2013 in Health

I had tons of surgery as a kid. I can tell you exactly what you're going to experience so you don't have to be scared.<br />
First they are going to explain everything they do as they go along. They know you might be scared and they will do what they can to keep you calm.<br />
The night before your operation you'll need to begin fasting. No food or drink. This is so your stomach will be empty when the administer the anesthesia. This is important because during surgery stomach contents can go up your esophagus, down your wind pipe into your lungs. Stomach acid would burn them causing pneumonia. So follow your doctor's orders on that count. On the morning of the operation make sure to take a shower and clean yourself really well. It might be a few days before you can bathe again. Wear clean clothes to the hospital. You'll be admitted and directed to a pre-op area where people are prepared for surgery. You'll be required to remove all your clothes, likely including underwear. Don't worry you'll be given plenty of privacy and a hospital gown. You'll then climb into bed and relax a while. They will insert an IV, this can hurt a little but it's not TOO bad. then a bunch of doctors and nurses will come by to ask you questions and explain to you and your parents what's going to happen. They might even draw on your body with markers. This is so they'll have reference marks to know where to cut and where not to cut.<br />
They will come and give you some drugs to relax you. You might feel like going to sleep. Go ahead and sleep if you want. You won't miss anything. A little later they will take you into the operating room. This part scared me because it's where my parents were left behind and there are lots of weird smells. They might take your gown away leaving you naked under the covers, but they will probably keep you covered up. If not, don't worry. They are medical professionals. You'll be placed on the operating table, which might be hard and cold but you're not going to be awake much longer anyway. Next they are going to put an oxygen mask on your face and or inject more medicine into your IV. If you get the mask it might smell funny. Don't worry it's just the gas that's going to make you sleep. If they just inject medicine you may not even see them do it. They may have you start counting. Likely you won't get past 2 or 3. You may hear a loud ringing and the lights may flash (all this happens very quickly) the next thing you know you'll be waking up in the recovery area with everything done. Your throat will be sore and really dry. Ask for water but they only give you a little. If you feel like going back to sleep do. There is no rush. You may have some pain after but they will give you anti-pain medication. You'll be really sleepy and confused and you won't be able to remember everything for the rest of the day so don't go making dates with boys that night.<br />
Throughout the whole thing everyone is going to explain what's happening. Don'

Best Answer

I have a friend who had them, trust me Maddy, the gallstones will become ALOT MORE painful if u DON'T have the surgery n remove them.. *holds your hand n gives u a GREAT BIG HUG * ..: )

Best Answer

Get them out. I know first hand how sick you can become. I felt so much better, but when I went to the hospital I couldn't even keep water down. You'll be fine. :)

Best Answer

How did It go?

Best Answer

Don't sweat it little sister. I was about your age when I had my first knee surgery. Just relax and follow along with what the doctors explain to you. Your surgery has moved from 'I wonder what this thing does' to 'cut along line Y and snip corner X and done'. You'll be just fine and tell them that when you wake up you would like a few ice chips in a cup to suck on. It really helps with the dry/sore throat you wake up with.

Best Answer

Gallstones can become very painful if they aren't removed early. The surgery isn't usually a big deal, my brother had it and he was fine.

Best Answer

Its not as bad as you think, I had mine taken out It makes 5 little cuts on your stomach the Dr. uses this tool, looks like 5 robotic skinny arms. Each cut takes 3 to 5 stiches. And you get to leave the hospital the same day. Dont keep putting it off my sister did that and she was pregnant, and they wanted to wait till the baby was born, but it got so infected they had to take it out.she has a big long scar on the side of her stomach. When they took it out it was the size of a soda can, normaly its the size of a small deflated baloon, it was about to burst.She was 7months pregnant went in labor, was rushed to a bigger hospital, Her and my nephew almost died, he weighed 3 lbs and was sick with infection,and on an IV. His mom had a drain tube in her side. She was in a lot of pain they couldnt give her much pain medicne because she had to nurse him to build up his imune system to fight the infection,along with an antibiotic IV.They were in the hospital 5 weeks.

Best Answer

My 12 year old daughter just had a 2 hour major surgery. We prayer before together, and after she awoke, she was very at peace and taken great care of by doctors and nurses who make it possible to recover with very little pain.

Best Answer

had gallstones surgery and the whole gallbladder removed at 16, not as bad as you may think. I was out of school for two weeks, but only because I had more excessive issues for it being a problem for so long, better to get it over with now!<br />
Goodluck, no worries<br />
Aarika

Best Answer

My sister and I both survived having our gall bladders removed. It's become pretty much a routine type of surgery.

Best Answer

some people just have them it doesn't mean you can't live a healthy life. it can be simple outpatient surgery if you get them to use soundwaves to break up the stones they dont even have to cut they just put this device up against your skin and the soundwaves break up the stones cuz the waves shatter them and then you just go to the bathroom and pass them out

Best Answer

It's a pretty simple procedure, my friend just had this done and she slept through it all no problem! You're going to be fine :)

Best Answer

Don't be afraid, honey. The operation is very non invasive, and hurts a heck of a lot less than gallstones!

Best Answer

Dont worry about it, they do this surgery all the time and you,ll feel better afterwards....but google things to avoid eating.

Best Answer