JoeEDangerously JoeEDangerously 26-30, M 106 Answers Aug 3, 2012 in Religion

Atheists only exist in peoples imagination. All men cry out for God when they truly fear for their lives. How do you feel about that?

Best Answer

I feel good about your comment! LOL!

Best Answer

It just means the god option is the cowardly option.

Best Answer

You should read about the Martyrs. "Jesus Freaks" or "Foxes Book of Martyrs" would be some great books to look into.

Best Answer

B.s.

Best Answer

Crying out for god is just because that's how our language works. You don't want to know how many atheists say "oh my god" eventough they know god doesn't exist.

Best Answer

I don't feel one way or the other about that. No one can be sure,we must follow our own hearts. Carry on. :)

Best Answer

"I'm a Thespian." How do YOU feel about that?

Best Answer

Great! What have you been in?

Best Answer

I've been in a lot of trouble, many times! Oh you mean acting...! I used to think that I was an atheist, no an agnostic, no...So you believe that the burden of proof that god, or gods exist, which is impossible to prove, falls in the hands of the theists! I respect you views and you! I have recently, come to believe in a spiritual god of my understanding...but we are all different. The exchange of views and opinions is how we learn! And if we were all like me, life would be boring - AWESOME, but boring ;>)

Best Answer

Probably true.

Best Answer

Read The Message (niv) and then deside

Best Answer

I am a thespian, not a lesbian!

Best Answer

Referr to "Has unemployment affected your life, if so how?"

Best Answer

what do you mean?

Best Answer

I'm not unemployed - I'm retired...

Best Answer

Hey this isnt an act, ya know!

Best Answer

Well I'm a Christian, but I have absolutely no problem with you being an atheist. And though I personally couldn't live like that, I don't find anything wrong with a person believing whatever they choose to believe.. Don't you hate religion pushers? They shove their religion in your face and give you biased reasons as to why you should believe what they believe. Pointless and rude.

Best Answer

When I found out my dad was an atheist, and constantly mocks religion and politics on his facebook, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief because I could not deal with more organized religion. That said, as an agnostic, I feel that being atheist is almost a religion of sorts, because you close yourself off to the possibility of something else being out there. We're constantly making new discoveries about the world, that it doesn't actually exist like we conceptualize it. There's SO much we don't know. And scientific experiments have proven the existence of things we can't explain, however research into areas that don't fit the materialist paradigm of Earth is not funded. Isn't there a possibility of something MORE being out there?

Best Answer

You've been misinformed. An atheist is anyone who does not hold a positive belief in a god or gods. What you call agnostic is actually atheist. I cannot say for certain that there was never a creature or anything else that wouldn't qualify as a god. But I also can't say for certain that there has never been anything at any point in time anywhere in the universe that may be considered a fairy. But I don't believe in fairies. Agnostic does not mean a middle ground between belief and disbelief. That's just not what it is. Gnostic means possessing knowledge. Agnostic means not possessing knowledge. We're all agnostic. It's a useless term. You are not prepared to hold a positive belief in a god. Whether you close the door to the possibility like I do or not, you are in fact atheist. I can recommend some good resources to learn more about this. Message me if you're interested.
You and I are both atheist and agnostic. Technically speaking we're agnostic atheists. But as I explained, all of us being technically agnostic, we are in fact both atheists.

Best Answer

I don't think agnostic is a useless term at all, some people believe they have all the requisite knowledge they need to decide concretely whether a deity exists or not, agnosticism is the belief that you don't have enough information to make an informed decision either way. It's not that I'm not prepared to hold a positive belief in a god, I don't have the knowledge either way to do more than guess at whether or not deities exist. And I'm not atheist because I don't reject the existence of deities, I think there's a possibility for them because I went to a lot of work proving the philosophical likelihood of a deity and I can't solve the "what was the first thing" conundrum without sticking an intelligent being into the mix. I don't think I'm misinformed, I think we each have different conceptions of what the definitions entail, and I apologize for comparing atheism to religion.

Best Answer

no, atheism is NOT a religion. (though it is a stance that people get all riled up and judgmental about.)

Best Answer

I worded that extremely badly, I'm sorry. I was trying to say that I feel when people adhere to beliefs about the world despite evidence to the contrary, that the world must fit with their views, it becomes a religion of sorts. Some atheists are like that, many are not. I apologize.

Best Answer

Actually, agnostic and atheist are different terms and do not describe the same thing. While you feel or believe there is no god (atheist), I on the other hand do not find there to be proof or lack of proof for god existing and therefore lean neither way (agnostic). But there are differing degrees of agnosticism, where the person might lean towards one or the other, although cannot commit fully due to lack of proof.

Best Answer

Yes I agree completely, that was what I was trying to say. Is this in reply to my comment?

Best Answer

Okay, we're having a big problem with definitions here. This is partially why I asked the question. I wanted to clear this up for people. You're partially right. Agnostic does NOT mean you don't lean either way. It is NOT a middle ground between belief and disbelief. What you are describing is a lack of a positive belief in the existence of God. That is an atheist, not an agnostic. Gnostic means possessing knowledge. Agnostic means not possessing knowledge. If you cannot say for certain (and you can't) that there is or is not a God, then you are agnostic. But as I said before that applies to all of us. It is a useless term because a positive claim of knowledge in this case is currently not possible. We're all agnostic. Every last one of us. Even if you claim certainty, it is not there. Committing fully has nothing do do with anything. It has no place in this discussion. That is a straw man. It misrepresents what the term means. I will send you a link you a site that will clear all this up.

Best Answer

You are correct in that agnosticism and atheism are two different fields though.

Best Answer

I don't think it's me that's out to lunch. jlk2 did a better job of describing what I'm trying to say. And I really hope you didn't base your entire argument on that one article, because neither terms have concrete definitions. I'm done discussing this, I've had philosophy classes for this, and furthermore I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. You're saying that I have the same viewpoint as this supposed person in the article, but I've said multiple times I have a hard time not including in philosophies over the nature of Earth an omnipotent being of some kind.

Best Answer

The article is not a viewpoint. It's an explanation of definitions. I chose that particular one because it's the most succinct and easy to understand. If you search around you'll find dozens and dozens more. I'm sorry it's hard to accept that you're wrong about this. Everyone's wrong sometime.
When did I say you had the same viewpoint as the article. Please point it out to me as I never in fact said that. Where did I say it? What words did I put in your mouth? I only responded to what you, yourself, typed. I suggest taking responsibility for your mistakes instead of making things up. And again, if you can point out where I said that, I will apologize.
PS. Philosophers are not cosmologists. Trying to prove the existence of an item philosophically is a dodge. Nothing more. To postulate the nature of the universe requires scientific scrutiny, not philosophical. Philosophy is subjective. Fact is not.

Best Answer

I said I wouldn't reply, but I don't think I'm the one that is having a difficult time admitting where I'm wrong. I've conceded where I should have articulated better, but you're applying a "I'm completely right" and "You're completely wrong" approach, when I feel you're completely interpreting the article to fit your views. You said that I was saying things that I wasn't, you said that I had the same view as the hypothetical person in the article. BTW I would like to say I am completing a science degree in physiology and pharmacology with a major in cognitive neuroscience. We don't have enough scientific facts to figure things out scientifically, philosophy adds dimension to problems. And furthermore, I did take responsability for my mistakes, I just think you're an idiot who doesn't take responsibility himself.

Best Answer

No, My friend --YOU are misinformed. Atheism is a belief that there is no God. Agnosticism comes closer, really----I don't know if there is or not. Atheism is a Belief--NOT an unbelief Love NOelle

Best Answer

Indifferent. I'm atheist too.

Best Answer

Good. I'm happy for you.

Best Answer

high five to ya!

Best Answer

So what? I never push my faith---unless I get a SINCERE question about it. Your atheism doesn't concern me unless you sincerely ask me why I'm not. Fair enough? (and I'm a very PROUD American) Love Noelle

Best Answer

You believe how you feel but I pray that one day that you find Jesus. But only you must decide.

Best Answer

You're not American , are you? Because that would impress me much.

Best Answer

For me atheist is just an empty label like

religious, superstitious... Such attributes tell

nothing about a person, especially about his esteem.

A man's esteem is not in bearing or not bearing any labels,

but in his knowledge, virtue, and especially his contributions

to the progress, prosperity, glory of the human race.

Of course,I have no authority to judge labels people wear

or actions they do in their daily life.

Each individual must know about his own self and enhance

his destiny without worrying how people think about him.

People's thinking, or even people's interference, adds or

substracts nothing in his achievements. Man's dignity is his

own learning and practicing the principles of divine love

and justice.

What is the use of wasting time to read people's

comments on the Internet about this celebrity or that

celebrity. The real value of a human being is only in

doing the Will of God and concern only about His good plasure.

This is ultimate value and purpose.

Best Answer

good for you,,,, you fan of the Lizard King,, uuuuuuuuuuuuu

Best Answer

We all have a choice, but someday that choice will have a circumstance...

Whether you believe it or not...

Best Answer

What the hell does that mean?

Best Answer

That just because YOU don't believe in God does not mean there is not one and that there is not a price to be paid for that lack of belief...

Best Answer

What price?

Best Answer

That's a price I'm more than happy to pay!

Best Answer

until its time to pay,but there will not be anywhere to run to.

Best Answer

You still don't get it and keep repeating what every other idiot keeps saying. Atheists do NOT BELIEVE there is no God. We know there is no God. End of story. You have a belief system. That implies hope. You have faith, that implies trusting what you are told to be true. Atheists need none of that as the proof is there through total lack of any sign or evidence of your Delusion. Quit using the "belief" word to atheists, try and understand it is not a belief system.

Best Answer

I don't believe you

Best Answer

Why not?

Best Answer

Don't matter to me.

Best Answer

I am an atheist too, so I don't feel anything special about it. For me, the weird thing is not that people believe in god, it is that they think that if god exists he would care about our small lives.

Best Answer

I feel like I wish I could share the wonderful feeling O what I feel to be God's love with you but that you make your own choices. And it is completely up to you.

Best Answer

Perfect, I'm an atheist too.

Best Answer

Happy!!!!!!!! Because I am too.

Best Answer

You look a lot like Jim Morrison....I mean when he was alive.

Best Answer