Which name do ppl call you by? Does it get confusing/annoying? I just have an awesome last name and don't want to give it up.
Prariedawn Prariedawn 31-35, F 8 Answers Sep 21, 2012 in Hobbies

It only really matters if you're going to publish stuff, otherwise it's just personal aesthetics

Best Answer

I have to publish a master's thesis, but I don't think they will take points off for the hyphen, although I'm not sure if it's pleasing to me aesthetically

Best Answer

I'm talking about if you want people to know ALL your works, or publications, under the same name.

Best Answer

I think perpetualcynicism was referring to something people might actually read.

Best Answer

Ouch!

Best Answer

Ooh! Feel the burn! What a zinger, you angry little egg!

Best Answer

What happens if one of your kids meets and marries another hyphenated one? Will names end up being longer than life itself?

Best Answer

Probably...but they would take their father's name, I'd just hang onto mine for myself

Best Answer

Don't they do it that way in some cultures already?

Best Answer

Not sure...I'm not an anthropologist!

Best Answer

My wife and kids name are hyphenated. No big deal. The only thing is my kids teachers for some reason, call me Mr. Wife's maiden name. Her maiden name is short and my last name is hard to pronounce correctly, so I answer to both.

Best Answer

I know some people who have done so, but I don't really see a need for it. It's kind of a modern invention and I tend to be very traditional about these kinds of things. Plus, on the practical side, you have to write out both names every time you sign your name. I don't know how long your names are but if they are of some length I think I'd just be too lazy to have to deal with that. One of my friends had a long, Italian name and married a man with another long Italian name. The hyphenated version of it was absolutely ridiculous but she did it anyway. If you are attached to your maiden name, you can just retain it, as another poster said, as another middle name. My great-grandmother had four names after she got married, so you could do that. I kind of feel that since you've chosen the guy, taking his name indicates that you are committed to taking the new direction in life with him.

Best Answer

Sounds complicated! Our names aren't too long, so I might be able to handle it.

Best Answer

If they're pretty short you might be able to do it, then, without regretting it in a couple of years like my friend did.

Best Answer

My son's teacher did that when she got married last year. The kids call her by the old name and the new one, depending. She also has some that call her by "Miss" and her first name. lol. She has her maiden and married names on her door, with the hypen. <br />
In older days, it was fairly common for women to take their husband's last name but to use their maiden names as their middle names. My mother did that when she got married.

Best Answer

I'm a teacher too...I'm thinking they'll just call me Mrs. (old last name)

Best Answer

yes

Best Answer

I think that's an awesome idea. That way when you have a kid they can hyphenate their name too, especially if they marry someone who also has a hyphenated name. By the time your grandkids get married they could have have last names over 100 letters long! Or you could stop making him look like a little bi.tch and just take his name.

Best Answer

I'm sorry, was that sarcasm? It didn't compute...Ooh, ok, I get it now. That was so clever of you.

Best Answer

Well I hope you get sharper because its going to be hell having to remember all those names in 40 years.

Best Answer