Shelbyk956 Shelbyk956 18-21 9 Answers Nov 4, 2012 in Women's Health

well its not a biggie little embarassing and breezy but the speculum is designed to be mostly pain free so just go for it cause cancer is way worse

Best Answer

I just had my first pap about a month ago. I also am not a virgin and was very nervous about it. What about the pap makes your nervous and not want to do it? Are you afraid that it will hurt? Or are you afraid of being so exposed in front of the Doctor? I personally was a little worried about the pain, but mostly worried about having to spread my legs for a complete stranger. To help ease that discomfort a little, I purposefully sought out a female OB/GYN. It was still a little difficult leaving myself so exposed, but I didn't experience any pain whatsoever. When she opened up the speculum inside me, I felt a bit of pressure, but it really was hardly anything to write home about. I know that you may be scared, but I implore you to go and get it done. I'm 26, just had my first pap, and it came back abnormal. Now I'm lined up to get a Colposcopy, which is a more thorough examination complete with camera and dyes, to determine whether or not I have something more serious going on. I'm kicking myself wishing I had gone in earlier just in case this turns out to be something nasty. It may not be the most pleasant of exams, but it definitely is something that you should not hesitate to get done. I promise that you will leave your appointment wondering why you thought it would be so horrible in the first place. :-) Be brave.

Best Answer

Thank you :) and my fear is just having a complete stranger feelin me up and putting there face between my legs lol

Best Answer

Ok, first thing, they have you undress and put on a gown. This is so they can have easy access for a breast exam, abdominal exam and pelvic exam. Breast exam is pretty self explanatory, they should teach you as they are performing it. The abdominal exam, they press around a bit on your belly to make sure there are no issues(swelling, pain etc.) The pelvic exam is the internal look see where they use the little cold scapula's(or whatever the hell they're called) (Yes they are cold and a little weird feeling (but that doesn't hurt- the part that hurts is that they do a cervical test with a little brush (it's just tiny-have them show it to you-that only kinda hurts, it's not excruciating) This is for checking out for any possible abnomalities(disease, infection, general health and structure)<br />
The test only needs to be done once every couple years and other than the initial discomfort of getting naked in front of some one doing an inspection all up close and personal, all will go well. I have found it easier to see a female Gyn, they tend to have the same plumbing and a better understanding of it. <br />
Oh they will tell you to scooch you butt up to the end of the table, and then they'll tell you a little more. That's ok, they tell everyone that. Remember, it's their job, and your's isn't the only one they've seen that day. Be honest about you concerns and ask them to walk you through it and they will tell you step by step what they are doing as it goes along. Oh yeah, and they may perform an anal exam as well, they do a finger check to feel towards the back of all the girl guts.<br />
So just know that the whole test should only last about 10 minutes or so and then you don't have to deal with it again for another couple years... Good luck and don't be terrified

Best Answer

There is some discomfort. It is scary to go through.<br />
I don't know what your insurance plan it...but it may help to talk to your gynocologist, before you have it done.<br />
This is a 'Necessary Evil', if you want to take care of yourself.<br />
I hope it goes well for you.<br />
(((Hugs)))

Best Answer

Thank you:)

Best Answer

And you're not terrified talking about it with a bunch of creepy strangers on the internet?

Best Answer

I just want someone else's input about it

Best Answer

its o k it doesn't hurt it might feel cold but it wont hurt i promise i've had one done when i was pregnant it wont hurt i promise :)

Best Answer

Like I've been with more than one guy and I'm 18.. But the thought absolutely terrifies me!! Is there any advice on what to do so I'm not having a heart attack as its happening lol

Best Answer

relax and don't tense your tummy or any muscles down there not even your butt muscle or it will hurt like hell i've had it hurt and just breath in and out really slowly and just close your eyes if you have to clench your fists together that's what i do

Best Answer

That makes me feel a little better about the whole situation lol..thank you

Best Answer

your welcome im glad i can help i hope i didnt embarrass you thats not my intentions at all if you want to then message me on facebook ill give you my information privately and let me know how it goes :)

Best Answer

No Iol I don't get embarrassed about this kinda stuff...I just don't like the fact that a complete stranger is touching me..even if its a doctor..but I would like to message you on Facebook lol and talk to you more privately:)

Best Answer

What I do is hide my panties. lol Pull the paper gown over my head in humiliation and clench up as they ask me to relax. They always ask for a smaller whatever they use down there so I am left waiting, but its over before I know it. Oh and yes it does hurt.

Best Answer

I thought paps were for sexual active women to check for hpv.

Best Answer

A Papsmear is for general health, wether sexually active or not.

Best Answer

Can you ride a horse? Stirrups baby.

Best Answer