LifeHasItsFlaws LifeHasItsFlaws 13-15, F 17 Answers Jan 23, 2013 in Community

I liked it so much I was going to name the baby after my anesteisiologist....by the time I had her I forgot what he said his name was.

Best Answer

get an epidural....it helps ALOT

Best Answer

Listen. A trained anaesthetist administers it. You must curl up in a ball. It is done after a local agent numbs you. It is a bit uncomfortable, but certainly helps with the pain. When I had it, it may have affected my baby, but I could not have lasted the 24 hours without it. You should discuss this with your obstetrician. He or she can tell you all the pros and cons. Some have babies vaginally and naturally. Others do not. If your baby is in distress, a Caesarean will be the only choice. Good luck. And enjoy your baby. A nice healthy one.

Best Answer

I had an epidural 18 years ago with the birth of my son. I guess I am one of those who had no ill effects. Sure, it hurt like the dickens when the anesthesiologist performed it, but the pain from labor was waaaaayyy worse. As soon as the epidural took effect - poof - no pain, and my healthy boy (no ill effects either) slithered on out a few hours later. My hair didn't even get messed up.

Best Answer

get it!!!

Best Answer

The shot itself goes into your spinal column. Just make sure you don't see the needle they use. Oh, and it does hurt. Just not as much as labor does. There is also a bit of time before it takes effect.<br />
I had all mine without epidurals, of which I'm really glad. My nephew came out and didn't move much for a very long time. They were afraid something else might be wrong. And his mom? Called me from the hospital giggling and telling me I need to get pregnant again just to have an epidural...

Best Answer

Honestly, I didn't feel it maybe because the contractions are a lot more painful. well for me anyway. It was bliss to have the epidural; it relieves your stress!. The only this I felt was the tingling sensation of someone being on my back lol

Best Answer

I've had them with all of my 6 deliveries. My used to give them to his patients, that is what he did. It really depends on how good the anesthesia person is. But I think each one was worth it. The worst part is the little sting of the lidocaine, like you get when you get stitches or something. Then there is a pressure as they insert the catheter. The affects, if a good one, should take effect w/in minutes.

Best Answer

I passed on it and went natural. Some of the side effects of it were something I didn't want to deal with.

Best Answer

My wife had very unplesent sideefects long after the birth. She regretted it.

Best Answer

Next month is my 5th anniversary. I cannot it has been this long already. I first got arach from a botched epidural for childbirth. I came home from the hospital with TWO gifts that day. A precious, beautiful, perfect baby girl.. And a lifelong disability and curse of the worst pain possibly imaginable. Shattered dreams. Plans for mine and my husband's future GONE.. Unless they could involve a wheelchair. Then I was given 3 epidural steroid injections. I lost my bladder function, bowel function, bladder and bowel control. I couldn't lift my feet or even walk to the bathroom any longer. I was DESTROYED. From trusting my doctors. These procedures were supposed to give me pain relief. They left me absolutely wrecked, and a shell of a human being. I was never warned of these possibilities. They pass a long sheet of teeny tiny warnings and give you a few seconds to go over it, while they assure you they've never had ANY problems before, and it will never happen to you. Guess what. It does. There are thousands of us out here. It's not reported or tracked, so we don't know how many. Many of the sufferers of Arachnoiditis have no idea! They are told something funky and vague, like "failed back syndrome", or fibromyalgia. That they are getting older, or are overweight. But it NEEDS to end!!<br />
Do NOT.. Let anybody near your back with ANY kind of needle or scalpel. Nothing. Even if they tell you it will "go nowhere near your spine". It goes close enough to wreck your life. Many of us are proof of that. You may be desperate for relief, but if you are given this monstrosity, you will go back to wishing "ONLY" for the pain you had before.<br />
I have a support group on Facebook. And an awareness page. Please, like us, join us, and help us warn everyone you know. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Please, don't allow your friends to get it!! WARN THEM!<br />
Facebook.com/ArachnoiditisSocietyForAwarenessAndPrevention?ref=hl<br />
facebook.com/groups/EndArachNowASAP/

Best Answer

I had an epidural with my first child. It did not hurt at all when they gave it to me because they numb the area where the needle is inserted. It makes pushing more difficult, since you cannot feel anything from the waste down. Other than that, it was good. I was very exhausted after.<br />
They gave me a pain meds for my second child and OMGosh I wanted to kill the nurse, who raised her voice at me because I couldn't breathe...due to the extreme pain I felt. I wanted an epidural but they wouldn't.<br />
I would suggest speaking to your doctor well in advance. S/he will go over all the risks. Maybe this will help. Blessings on the miracle to come. :D<br />
http://americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/epidural.html

Best Answer

You're pregnant and soooo young? Poor dear. Epidurals are a godsend, I tell you that.

Best Answer

Hurts way less than NOT getting it.

Best Answer