The ability to create life within one's own body is- as far as I can tell- the most godlike power any creature on this planet possesses. So why do you suppose we Christians do not place women in positions of authority and influence within the religion?
Casualfun Casualfun 36-40, M 18 Answers Jul 16, 2012

Read Peter in the New Testiment. He says that women are physically weaker but they are to be treated as partners and with respect. It says the man is the head of the house but women are intelligent as well and a man should listen to her opinion when making decisions. Those are not the exact words of course, but it is the meaning behind them. In the past Peters instructions have not been followed, but it doesn't mean that consideration and respect for women was overlooked. It means Christians have ignored that part of the Bible sadly.

Best Answer

Christianity gives and treats women more respect than any other major religion. I have heard off and yet it is the one you people love to jump on. Let's talk about Muslims. *ck their feelings! These are the most barbaric bastard, I have ever heard of or seen! Women are not allowed to drive. She is considered chattel property of her husband (slave) She is expected to be beaten if she displeases her husband or father in anyway and this can include some horrible deaths like stoning, beheading with a knife, or shot in the head by a male appointed by a court or her husband. If Iranian, besides stoning she can be publicly hung from a crane. She has to have at least five (5) eye witnesses if she wants to live after being raped! She cannot go to a male doctor even in an emergency, She can't talk to a male without permission and the presence of a male blood family member who is of age. She has to wear a burka no matter what the weather or what she is doing. I want to see the 100 metter run for women in a burka during the Olympics! Hell only two women who were never allowed to train are being sent after a big uproar and bad PR for the Saudi's.<br />
Now you Christian haters tell me anywhere Christian women are treated like this. You folks love to say how tolerant and understanding and walways working on civil and womens rights. How about these women? Sure you can clain there is nothing you can do about it in other countries and you are right, but what about here? These people want Sharia Law for themselves and eventually all of us. There have been honor killings here in something wlike 20 different state in the US by these 15th century savages. Here in Phoenix an Iraqi man and his son were convicted, in his case, for running down his daughter and her friend with his car numerous times killing her for liking western clothing and music. Definitely a legitimate death sentence offense. Right? In New York state a radio station owner beheaded his wife for some minor insult in his mind. These are just two cases. There are many more. Now tell me about Cristian women living under this kind of barbarity because of their religion.

Best Answer

First off, I am a christian. Personally I don't care how muslims treat women because I am not a muslim and I don't have a dog in that fight. Cute how you choose a handful of the most extreme examples and use them to represent the views and behaviors of millions of people.
And secondly, the fact that you think christian women should be grateful we don't rape beat and torture them is more proof of my point. Can you find examples of religions that treat women well and show how much better christianity is than them, because that is a good argument. Telling me the cake you just baked tastes good compared to a fresh pile of dog crap does not speak well of your baking skills. Get it?

Best Answer

You call yourself a christian (lower case c is yours, not mine) But you want to spew lies and some very old and long ago discarded ways of a paternal religion, like so many others, but want to comparison as if they do matter because you are a christian? How hypocritical can you get? I am a Christian, do not live in a Muslim country, but I do care about other peoples rights and safety. Your respose does not make a viable argument. It is more a angry response to the truth. You think I used extreme examples? If they are so extreme even for Islam shows how little you know. Answer this Mr. christian, if these are extrem examples, why do they happen on nearly a daily basis?

Best Answer

Because all Abrahamic Religions( Islam, Judaism, Pauline Christianity,Messianic etc.) are patriarchal ba<x>sed religions.According to this concept there must be order and chain of command.As such the women( just as the men are subject to God) are subjected to their husband's leadership.Most people wrongly assume this is a bad thing and many other people wrongly assumed this means females have little or no influence of the churches or religions they are members of.Women have long influenced many a man behind the scenes ,one husband at a time..Rest assured that this attitude is alive and well in Christianity and the churches of Christianity today, just has always been the case. This attitude is also sc<x>ripture ba<x>sed and acceptable female behavior in most Christian churches."Likewise, you wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conduct of the wives;" 1 Peter 3:1

Best Answer

I would say those scriptures reflect the historically fallible views of man and not the omniscience of God

Best Answer

So you are disagreeing with the Bible?. BTW, I do not take the Bible as word specific. Language and the Bible itself have changed greatly over the milleniums and in translations, but I do believe what it teachs is good and right. What you are sayiong here is a direct disagreement with what this passage means. It does not mean a woman is you be a slave to her husband as in Islam. In other books this subject is discussed and clarified saying that husband be good to their wives and honor them. It speaks of being "equally yoked." This is not some BDSM term as some Christian haters might say, but it means to be of the same belief.

Best Answer

There was an age when men took the lead in the lives of their families because of the nature of existance at the time. Roles were assigned to everyone, and it was a matter of life and death that they werew carried out. The Woman protects and nuttures children. The man goes out to hunt or do business to provide for the family. At that time you weren't able to do both. If you'll accept second-rate childrearing you CAN today. Human beings change slowly------we're stubborn. Women's rights have a long way to go----but they've already come a long way as well. Be careful though ---change isn't necessarily progress. We're different from men-----AND equal. How were different qwe've yet to fully discover Be Careful!!! Love Noelle

Best Answer

Christanity is a primitive religion created by primitive people. Equality of sex wasn't even on their minds back then. That anyone follows the religion today is what's shocking.

Best Answer

Oh, you mean as opposed to all the other enlightened social institutions everywhere that revere women as the superior sex. LMAO @ you. This is certainly not a phenomenon restricted to religion or that exists because of religion. I just phrased the question within the context of religion because of the "god-like" analogy.

Best Answer

other social institutions may not be into elivating women but religion is often the very excuse used to opress women. LMAO @ you for thinking something a house cat can do is "god like". Realy, go **** yourself.

Best Answer

Go **** myself? If I could, your position in society would be even lower sweetheart. Sorry for trying to stick up for your gender. I didn't mean to give you a venue to run your mouth about religion. I see prejudice and disrespect is just fine with you as long as it is directed towards those of faith and not towards the ladies.

Best Answer

PixieCutLover, if you don't think there was no interest in sexual matters 2000+ years ago when Christianity began, and before in the Old Testament when it first started being chronicled, you might want to Read about David, or Samson and many others. The Old Testament is full of sex in the stories. David and Samson are just two of the better known. Read about Sodom and Gommorah. You seem to be commenting on something you know little or nothing about

Best Answer

see, its like this people of "faith" chose to delude them selves women are born as women with no choice in the mater. Not to mention that women haven't realy commited atrocitys as a group throughout the ages. And believe me mother ******, I'm not your sweet heart.

Best Answer

Did you read what I wrote? You seem to be commenting on something you didn't read.

Best Answer

God and Nature intended that women, being more emotionally astute and aware, and generally more in tune with their loving nature, should have the greater responsibility of caring for and raising humanity's children, while men, who are not gifted with those characteristics, but are given more robust bodies, should do the work of providing. I think that is a beautiful and ethereally practical way of recognising the purpose of sexual differentiation.<br />
Unfortunately, throughout history ther have been bad men to mistreat women and children, and bad women to mistreat men and children.<br />
Culturally, we've chosen to recognize the bad over the good, so we now have career womoen (wives) and career men (husbands) and the kids lose out big-time with both parents working. Divorce rates are way up, emotional illnesses are way up, sexual deviance is commonplace, and belief in neighborliness and love for oneanother is considered the highest degree of naievity.

Best Answer

"So why do you suppose we Christians do not place women in positions of authority and influence within the religion?"<br />
Note that you refer to women as things which need to be placed, as if they're just passive ob<x>jects. You're already doing that male thing where you feel an instinctive need to protect women and ironically it's that instinct which holds women back because anything they want they can just ask for and white knights will come charging to give it to them. There's no incentive, therefore, for women to develop themselves and become equals.

Best Answer

Pardon my choice of words, what I meant was that women should have the opportunity to serve in high clerical office and be religious leaders.

Best Answer

Meh, it's the way we're socialised to think about women, mainly by feminists.

Best Answer

Subjugated is the wrong wording. Yes traditionally the sc<x>riptures have been construed to mean subjugation but in reality it is protection. I think the main problem lies in our understanding not in the actual intention of the sc<x>riptures. As far as women not being in authority personally the more authority and responsibility I have the more I stress about things. Everyone is different and some women like having responsibility for that much stuff. Personally I like not being the one to blame when something goes wrong. <br />
Now then the reason men are the Leaders is because in an equal relationship of two people (as marriage is intended to be) everyone is not always going to agree. Ideally things are rationally discussed and you come to an agreement, when an agreement cannot be reached there has to be someone to make the final call and take responsibility for it right or wrong. That responsibility was given to the man. But that authority isn't mean to be heavy handed and suffocating, it's meant to give him the ability and right to lead his family in such a way that they are free and happy and grow better into themselves.<br />
My husband encourages me to be who I am more than anyone else ever has. He rarely exercises the authority given him and every time he has done so it has been to my benefit even if I didn't see it at the time. (I.E. telling me a couple of my male friends needed to take a hike 'cause they were trying to cause problems in our relationship)<br />
Anyways not sure if this answered your question at all. I kinda went of on my personal thoughts and may not be real clear. It's a subject I have strong views on but rarely have worded because my father was very patriarchal.

Best Answer

It's subjugating to women to not allow them equal rights, regardless of whether or not the intent was protection. And a lot of stories in the bible don't seem to involve protecting women at all, like Absalom publicly raping David's wives and then David banishing them. Or the man shoving his concubine out the door to be raped when the mob wanted him.
Your husband sounds great and so are a lot of Christians, but the bible is a great excuse for abusive jerks to hide behind.

Best Answer

#1, you just described the very definition of subjugation. #2 nobody "gave" men the power, they took it. It's what we do. It is a function of our testosterone.

Best Answer

The actions of men in the bible are not universally condoned as good or right. I think peeps miss that a lot. Like my husbands father trying to raise his family just like Abraham in a little clan where he controls everything. DUDE IT WAS A CULTURAL THING!
Anyways I know what you mean, there are things that twinge wrong and I haven't figured it all out yet. But anyone who claims to know everything is a liar anyways so I'll just keep growing and discovering more things I don't know :)

Best Answer

Well said Wifeinator. I have some friend who believe this way also and they have a very happy and loving marriage of well over 30 years. This is the first and only marriage for both of them. And BTW, the wife in this mariage is from a an old world Italian Catholic family. Her father was a good man as I understand, but very patriarchical as your father was. They immigrated from Italy pre WWII and she was born in the US. They are a very open, giving and happy couple and true friends to anyone who becomes friends with them.

Best Answer

@casualfun - I did not describe subjugation in my case because I don't have to allow my husband the authority. I choose to because it is how I want to live my life and how I am comfortable and happy. If I wanted I could do pretty much anything I chose etc. I'm just happy to make my relationship a good one and let my husband call some of the shots so that I don't take the blame lol.

Best Answer

dude, while I agree completely with the subjugating women thing, be super careful re: posting on christianity because people who disagree with you WILL report you and it'll take a bit to straighten out. Also avoid disagreeing with ppl re: grey aliens, people on this site get defensive over them for some odd reason.

Best Answer

Theres no explanation to make in a reasoned arguement, regardless of the subject. If zealots cant accept others opinions they have lost credibility (if they had any atall) and deserve to be dismissed.

Best Answer

I know, and I completely agree. But it took me like four days to get a response, to get the flag lifted, etc. because of dumb 18 year olds, and for them to figure out I didn't break the rules. My flaw was stating what the bible said.

Best Answer

I have noticed that in stating " what the Bible says" if you use quotes and give the verses rather than re-phrasing " what the Bible says" you tend to get flagged far less often.It also makes your statement regarding Biblical verse carry far more weight..Many people twist scriptures to support their own thoughts and this is why it is absolutely imperative to add the scripture and verse in your statements.This allows others to read it for themselves rather than go on how YOU interpret the words.

Best Answer

It wasn't how I reinterpret words, it's stories. I've read the bible several time. Furthermore, for NO other sources does anyone require someone to go find books and quotes and copy them exactly. Finally, when I'm evaluated according to the bible by people who believe in it, they never use quotes either. But yes, I will use quotes in the future, thanks :)

Best Answer

I don't think it has to do with Christianity per se....I think it has to do with any arena in which men have traditionally held the authoritative roles. And that is pretty much in almost every arena.

Best Answer

We do. Look up the UCC. I think you mean Catholicism not Christianity.

Best Answer