KilluaGodspeed KilluaGodspeed 18-21, M 14 Answers Nov 13, 2012 in Hobbies

It is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, rather than a whole nation perish. When you think about it. The idea of the atoning blood and the punishment for all mankind that Christ endured on the cross, and His victory over death makes the most sense of all the Abrahamic religions. Accept Christs payment for your sins, and you have a clean slate. The enmity between God and mankind is repaired by the payment that Christ provided "once and for all". Yes, guilt is the driving force to seek freedom from guilt. Please. I'm not preaching, but the concept makes perfect sense and the Bible backs it up in both the old and the New Testament. It's only the baby killing, misogyny, and justification of slavery that tripped me up. Jesus spoke of an "outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth" and he also spoke of Gehenna, basically a garbage dump where the refuse is constantly burning. Hebrew equivalent to hell. So it is guilt and fear that drives one to the cross and faith that drives a Christian.

Best Answer

I don't know about Heaven, but Hell and Los Angeles have the same zip code.

Best Answer

Hahaha! Is that why all of us up north call it HELL-A?

Best Answer

I believe because of many experiences I have had.

Best Answer

No, there is no middle ground in the Bible. Pergatory is part of Catholic beliefs but they did not get it from the Bible.

Best Answer

They got it from the need to fund their papal orgies! Weeee!

Best Answer

it was practice at a young age so its in the blood. and catholics believe in the middle ground called purgatory.

Best Answer

Fear and ignorance.

Best Answer

is hell in the bible? i thought maybe that was something traditional thing we borrowed from the pagans.

Best Answer

God calls those whom He has chosen to Himself. Ultimately it is the Holy Spirit that drives a true Christian to believe and those who say we only believe, because we were born into it or taught it from an early age are misrepresenting the facts. I became a believer at age 29 and there are people who are born into many other religious beliefs who also become believers in Christ at some later point in their lives.

Best Answer

What drives Christians to believe: Inauguration at a very young age and the dismissal of science.

Best Answer

Catholics believe in a purgatory, and Jews believe in some sort of cleansing before souls enter heaven. But you know what's funny about all this? There is no hell in the Bible. There is a "lake of fire," but the entire book of Revelations is metaphor. It was probably a metaphor for some kind of cleansing for the sinner.

Also, there may be a heaven mentioned, but that isn't where the "good people" go, only a handful of people do, and they were all in the Bible. What's supposed to happen is that God will make a new earth where everything will be all peace and love and whatnot. Seriously, I'm not making this up. Read the book of Revelations, it some trippy s***.

Best Answer

Wait what o_O New Earth? No heaven or hell?

Best Answer

Ummmmmm - I must disagree. There is hell in the Bible and not just in Revelations. It is all throughout the Bible. Hell in the Bible is a place of future punishment and the final destination for unbelievers. It is described in scripture using various terms such as eternal fire, outer darkness, a place of weeping and torment, the lake of fire, the second death, unquenchable fire. The most terrifying reality of hell is that it will be a place of complete, unending separation from God. Also, heaven is all throughout the Bible and it says NOTHING about only a handful of people going. In fact, it is clear that ALL belivers go there.

Best Answer

All the things you mentioned are either never stated as permanent (only implied, and of course people would be "gnashing their teeth" if there was a God all along and they didn't believe in him. They would be scared and guilty) or referring to the place demons go to after the earth is remade. The only times does the Bible say there's a "permanent hell" is when its referring to "those who worship the beast," which are the demons.
Alternatively, the only people who went to heaven were Jesus, Enoch, Elija, and Moses. They are also the only ones who will get to stay there. Everyone else goes to "new earth" after 1,000 years. That's also when God sends Satan and his demons to the eternal demon hell.
I could go on, I had to do a thesis on end time prophecy. Everything you said is quite commonplace, but from what I've found, it's all just fear-mongering to make sure children behave.
Either way, it isn't something I intensely believe. Jesus seemed like a nice guy, but it all went downhill from there.

Best Answer

Fear

Best Answer