NEWS FLASH everyone one of us is not "holier than thou"
BurningFist BurningFist 22-25, M 18 Answers Aug 4, 2014 in Community

Atheists are like 5% of the population. Christians are not an oppressed minority. Stop afcting like one.

Best Answer

Because the people who want to foster their religious beliefs on others (Hobby Lobby). promote their religion over others (10 commandments statute in courthouse). claim God sent a natural disaster as punishment (Pat Robertson), demand everyone follow their dogma (contraception and the Catholic Church), all claim to be Christian.

Best Answer

Posting a self-righteous generalizing comment in response to a generalizing comment....Nope, I have no idea why people consider most christians to be holier than thou self-righteous killjoys.

Best Answer

Point?

Best Answer

You're engaging in the same behavior that you're accusing non-christians of. Baseless generalizations. My point was, how is your being self righteous excuse their being self righteous?

Best Answer

Why don't you read my experiences pertaining to this then tell me what I'm allegedly doing

Best Answer

they got a terrible track record

Best Answer

"They?"

Best Answer

It wasn't the atheists demanding people convert or face death during the inquisiton....

Best Answer

True, but do you think all Christians are like that?

Best Answer

no. but you do seem to think all non christians hate christians....thus doing exactly what you're accusing them of.

Best Answer

I never said that, I asked a question out of curiosity.

Best Answer

Your question is titled, "In this day and age, why is it that people GENERALIZE ANYONE who is christians to be bad, hypocritical, etc." How is that not generalizing People who are not christian?

Best Answer

Best Answer

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Secondly, it's in plain black and white what you wrote. you said "why do people generalize anyone who is christian to be bad and hypocritical?" That's no different than saying, "Why do christians generalize anyone who is not christian to be sinful and hateful towards christans?"

Best Answer

Wow you read my experiences that fast, good job

Best Answer

sorry, christians

Best Answer

Generalizations are rarely true...

Best Answer

it seems like in this day some people try to find a way to have something against Christains they need to learn not all Christians are the same and they need to get their head out of there ***** they keep thinking that Christains suppose to know every verse from the bible and act according to it, They just need to learn nobody is perfect including Christians.

Best Answer

People look for the bad they can perceive in the group they dislike, at least in part, to justify their own rejection of it and as means to self-comfort.

Best Answer

only God is righteous and all holy and good. just because you're Christian does not necessarily mean that you hold yourself up in a godly manner in your every day living. stop caring about what others think and start being the change you want to see.

Best Answer

Shouldn't you be telling that to a non-believer?

Best Answer

no, even believers sometimes act all holier than swiss cheese. no immortal man or woman or child is more than anyone else; that's just false ego at work.

Best Answer

Why tell me? I've never shown myself to be "holier than swiss cheese"

Best Answer

I'm just answering your question; it was not a judgment upon you in any way.

Best Answer

Fair enough

Best Answer

there are cures for fundamentalism

Best Answer

It's another case of a few people ruining it for everyone. I was raised in the church, and can identify any of you out there that say "church people" are the worst. However as with any group of people you have your bad ones and your good ones. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot (and I mean a lot) of soot to find your diamonds. They're there though, trust me. I am Christian in the fact that I know I'm a sinner and am only saved by the grace of God. I don't believe you need to go to a church to learn this and respect your opinion if you don't believe the same as me. I would encourage you if you don't already have your own personal beliefs to read what Jesus says in the bible and forget what religion tells you. Think about what it means to you.

Best Answer

People generalize and judge no matter what . Who cares though , it's your choice to allow someone elses opinion to effect you or not .

Best Answer

Thank you all for your responses, this was interesting.

Best Answer

Of course, not everyone does that. Some do because some "Christians" are that way, and they like feeling that people who proclaim Christianity are not morally superior in any way. And it is a human tendency to be attracted to a bad generalization that makes a group seem inferior. In a nutshell, I guess it makes nonChristians more comfortable.

Best Answer

They try to make Christians look bad to justify their atheism

Best Answer

Atheism doesn't need to be justified. Concepts that have no proof or evidence need to be justified. Like Religion.

Best Answer

The existence of God is actually very logical. And actually religion can't be disproven, just as Santa Claus's existence can't be disproven.

Best Answer

You're committing a logical fallacy. An unfalsifiable hypothesis cannot be proven, therefore saying "god's existence is logical" makes no sense. If you can't use logic to prove god's existence, how can you say it's logical to believe in god? Secondly, I can't prove that I can turn invisible when no one looks at me. Does that mean you should believe it? Of course not. So why should you expect me to believe in a god that has no evidence for it's existence. If there is no evidence for something's existence, then it cannot be said to exist. It's far more logical to believe we evolved from a common ancestor to apes, than it is to believe a god created us. Mostly because we have tons of evidence for evolution and none for creationism. In a court of law you rule based on evidence, if there is no evidence, there is no way you'll win. Which is why slander, abuse, and stuff like that is hard to prove, without any evidence apart from "Well you gotta believe me!" you're not gonna win the case.

Best Answer

That wasn't my point. My point was unbelief doesn't need to be justified.

Best Answer

Not trying to argue with you, you have a valid point. It might not be logical to say that God exists. I get it no tangible evidence. What if, however, I amend the statement to say "the belief in God exists." I believe this is logical. You can find all sorts of tangible evidence of a human belief in a diety. Given this sect of humankind, there are three options. They are either correct in their beliefs or incorrect, but possibly knowingly incorrect. This error can be explained as a human need for something greater than the self. This error could be due to something in their makeup that allows them to defy logic. One cannot always follow logic. There are improbable anomalies that happen everyday in areas such as genetics and meteorology. There are also instances of humankind defying logic in instances of self preservation and caring for our fellow man. Think of an oppressed nation outnumbered and outgunned with a will to defend itself. What about a man throwing himself in front of a bus to push a kid out of the way?.. Saying there is no tangible evidence to support a diety is one way to explain it. Saying that you believe in a God that you see reflected in the better parts of your fellow man is another. If in fact there is something greater than ourselves, there lies a paradox in that we lack the capacity to fully understand it. So we may never know

Best Answer