Car manufacturers tout that some of these hybrid vehicles get an "astonishing" 35 mpg (somewhere around that number), making them "the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road". Frankly, I find them to be laughable. My Dad's old '59 Studebaker had a V8 and got 42 mpg. My first car was an '81 Datsun 210 and I managed to get close to 62 mpg (and a mere 10 gallon tank). Even my old 91' Chrysler LeBaron got 35 mpg at speeds in excess of 70 mph (approximately 113 kph for our metric friends). I'd like to hear about your vehicles that got great mileage without this "advanced" hybrid technology.
Dragonhermit Dragonhermit 36-40, M 17 Answers May 8, 2012

Bicycle.

Best Answer

LOL, True. Although I would imagine not very practical when having to go long distances!

Best Answer

Dang! That was MY answer!

Best Answer

Feet.

Best Answer

Not really a vehicle. ;)

Best Answer

Skates

Best Answer

Not a vehicle. I would imagine that skating 40 miles to work might leave a few blisters on your feet. :)

Best Answer

Seriously though I never chose a car for fuel economy so best one was my escort lol. This one gives me 16.

Best Answer

DANG! I once had a 76 Buick Regal, what we called a "road boat" because it was so large, yet seemed to float over the road (I miss those old suspensions!) It got 11 mpg, and I had a hard time keeping gas in the tank at a time when gas was only $1.10 a gallon. LOL

Best Answer

Hahahaha road boat, that hurts. It's a ford minivan and thank goodness I work and live within 3 miles.

Best Answer

Sadly, I live in the "wilds" of Northwest America. Nothing is within 3 miles. LOL

Best Answer

My motorized bicycle. 150 miles to the gallon. <br />
(built from a kit. no registration, no insurance no licence needed or required)<br />
update>><br />
DOT helmet is required in any state that also requires a helmet to be worn when riding a motorcycle.

Best Answer

I've seen those, but never really investigated them. What does it cost and what is the maximum speed?

Best Answer

Mine was less than $300. bike and motor sold separately. (biggest pain to assemble was the drive gear mounted on the rear wheel. Then you do have to modify the tension arm for the chain. Very easy) They can reach 35-40 with no modifications, some have reported 50 mph. LEGALLY you are only permitted 25 mph.

Best Answer

Cool. I have seen some motors that are essentially "Weed Eater" motors strapped to the back wheel. They essentially operate by pinching the back wheel between two powered rollers. I've heard those kind royally suck, since they loose tension with every bump and have to be constantly adjusted. I think I will look into the kind of bike you mentioned tho! :)

Best Answer
Best Answer

2003 ford zx2.

Best Answer

The Most Economical Car in the World will be on sale next year: It is a VW built in China, selling for $600.00 and gets 258 miles per gallon. It is going to kill Government Motors, because it is not electric, it is called Sparta. I will be writting a blog about it in the next few days.

Best Answer

I've read about the Volkswagen L-1. It carries two passengers, has a carbon fiber body, a 299cc single-cylinder diesel engine, anti-lock brakes; airbag and an electronic stability program. However, the $600 price tag is fiction, though. According to Volkswagen's website, that vehicle will have a $26,000 price tag.

Best Answer

Would not be surprised, import taxes and all the EPA paperwork required in the USA.

Best Answer

True. Still, some people are finding that buying the cars overseas and paying the import taxes is STILL cheaper than buying cars here in the US. Take for example, the Japanese Mini Truck. Those imported vehicles (complete with steering on the right side, as opposed to the left) became really popular, even in my remote neck of the woods, since the great gas hike of 2008. Average cost: about $7000.

Best Answer

My 2004 Toyota Corolla is phenomenal in all ways : gas mileage, reliability, etc. She's a winner!

Best Answer

My 81 toyota Celica was the same way. Sadly, she needed too much work, so I had to sell her. I think I was getting about 32 MPG in that car, but I can't recall with 100% accuracy.

Best Answer

Honestly, you cannot go wrong with s Toyota.

Best Answer

LOL. My Toyota did have one memorable quirk. The headlights were those kind that flipped inward when not in use. For some reason, one of my headlights kept "blinking" so I had to disconnect the motor. Friends said my car was flirting by winking at other cars. LOL

Best Answer

horse

Best Answer

Mode of transport, but not a vehicle. LOL Still, Horses are pretty spendy when you figure in the hay, stabling, and of course the vet bills (Most breeds, especially the purebreds are notoriously sickly).

Best Answer

yea true but it nevers breaks down and dont hafta feel it up

Best Answer

Car gets a flat, you change the tire. Horse breaks a leg, you have to shoot it and walk. XD

Best Answer

yea u got a point there

Best Answer

Unrelated story: Back when I was in school, one of my friends discovered that there was still a law on the books that said a school has to provide stabling for a student's horse. He showed up at school a few days later, riding his horse with a copy of the law in hand, and demanded the school stable and feed it. They promptly sent him home. lol

Best Answer

'89 yugo got 44 mpg.

Best Answer

That's decent mileage.

Best Answer

I've only had cars with average mileage. My best was my Saturn SW2 that got about 29 mpg. My current is a Subaru Forrester and it gets about 23 mpg.

Best Answer

I've driven a Forrester, and quite frankly, for such a small car, it should be getting much better mileage. You must be a "smallG" indeed, because at 5'11", my knees were hitting the underside of the dashboard with the seat fully pushed back. LOL

Best Answer

I sit like an old lady when I drive as other people my height ( 5'9" ) always move the seat further back. But I, too, feel the mileage should be better. I guess the AWD is a bit thirsty.

Best Answer