I had a good job, full benefits. Had worked really hard. Relationship issues struck early 30's. Thought i'd be married have kids. Lost 2 family members and a good friend who died and got caught up in the economy crunch. I got burnt out looking for work needed a mental break etc. I haven't worked in 2 years. I'm a smart guy and always thought i'd be smart enough to just work through things build something but crap happened. I feel like a loser and like i'm not going to be able to achieve my goals or be myself and what i'm smart enough to be. Some peopel have things work out. Just get that stable job, get married and things work. It didn't happen that way for me. If i start over now any reason why i can't retire well off and comfortably have a family etc? I have an IT background. Time to get back in the game. I think too many people accept less and struggle through life and i don't want that. I don't need to be rich but I'd like to at least be able to afford nice things and not worry.
celtic34 celtic34 36-40, M 8 Answers Aug 2, 2011

Never too late! :D

Best Answer

Better to do it now than at 60

Best Answer

No! and hush your mouth, I'm 38 ( for the next few days anyway) and we are NOT too old to start over.

Best Answer

I don't see why it would be. It really depends on what you end up doing, and how you manage what you make. My sister in law went to work for Home Depot as a cashier, and within about 17 years, was a regional manager making six figures. She took early retirement in her forties. My brother wasn't as ambitious, but marrying her meant that he was able to get a management position at Home Depot and made a good salary. Ultimately, they got very rich using the stock options that Home Depot provided. Now my in law is about 50, and she has recently started a business in interior design. <br />
My mom worked in an office forever, and my dad worked in a local factory. They heard about job openings at a paper mill and ended up going to work there...long shifts, but making much better wages. They didn't want to hire my mom because she had no plant experience and was almost 50, but she fought for the job and got it. When they retired, each had a healthy 401K and stock portfolios. My dad died, but my mom is doing very well, including owning 3 rental houses. I've heard similar stories about folks who just made the decision and then stuck with something. <br />
I'm not money driven, but I am considering a career change myself. Possibly returning to school within the next two years, and I'm 43. I think it happens more and more nowadays. And there are lots of possibilities. <br />
Sorry if this is long, but it's not too late. I certainly hope not, anyway!

Best Answer

hugs? lol. I hear you. I feel like i would have been better off just sticking out the stable job. thats where im kicking myself. most people in my family did that and had great success.. I went off the beaten path trying to find myself or something.

Best Answer

I can understand that...but try not to look back. I know from personal experience that regret and self punishment only cripple the present. It has been a tremendous struggle for me to get into the "try again" mode after my life did not end up anything like I'd hoped. But we are wiser and hopefully more focused now than we were back then, right? With so many possibilities ahead. All my best. :)

Best Answer

Not at all! Sounds like you know what you want... and hopefully, you can figure out how to achieve it... keep looking forward, setting goals. Life has its set backs for sure... but, just like riding a horse... we need to keep getting back on and not give up. Just keep taking one step forward every day. Even if it is a baby step ;-) I believe we can achieve anything we truly want! Here's wishing you best of luck and much success in your endeavors. But, I have to say what has made me the wealthiest person of all is my son. So just remember it isn't always about the money, but, it sure does help ;-)

Best Answer

i hear you. I'm not a materialistic person at all. A family is most important. But realistically money does matter. The stress of not having money and living paycheck to paycheck and not knowing where your next paycheck is coming from sucks.

Best Answer

i'm idealistic in ways yes. I don't go looking for the right girl. that's half my issue. love just kind of happens imo and if it's right it's right. Jobs same thing. A lot of people just kind of fall into what they are. Some people try their whole lives to make it happen and fail. It's hard to tell what is the right way to go about things.

Best Answer

Yes... I do believe everything in our lives happen for a reason. My employer cut about 160 jobs a few years ago. And it's amazing... for some reason the people that got cut... opened up their own businesses, got good jobs, etc... not everyone of course. But, always be open to any possibility. I was in IT for 11 years... and people still are always asking me to fix computers, networks, etc... for them... so, don't be scared to do it on your own... there are always people looking for this kind of help!

Best Answer

I agree 100%

Best Answer

No reason you can't do it with a concerted effort and some common sense financial planning. Whatever you do, don't use the US government as a model, though.

Best Answer

I certainly hope not. I'm currently 38 as of last month and I feel like I'm starting over in a lot of ways. In my twenties, I had a really good job but felt unfulfilled. I wanted to devote more time to being a writer and a filmmaker and thought moving to the bay area would be right for me. Four years later, I'm struggling to make it. I've had many stupid jobs and in the past year, I've been unemployed. I'm living with a guy I was dating and am in a dead end relationship. I've put on a lot of weight and have been severely depressed. To top it off, I lost a lot of friends...they have either decided not to deal with me anymore or I found out they were frauds. I had to decide to either end my life or end life as I've known it. So I enrolled in school and am working on a second degree. The financial aid will be the income I live off of. When I get on my feet, I will leave my boyfriend. I still wish to pursue my craft but realize it has to be a side thing.

Best Answer