Debt in America is now 1 trillion dollars of student loans . Many are still unemployed. In a bachelor's degree, more time is spent partying than actual studying ( and this behavior is encouraged) books are insanely expensive and it caters to an elitist mentality where only peopole who have money or are insanely intelligent / access to good high schools get into good schools. I went to college, I think it's important but the system has to change. Check out the documentary trailer ivory towers.
wingeyes wingeyes 31-35, F 12 Answers Jun 3 in Community

I think it's only worth it to a small group of people. The rest should be going to a trade school, working their way up through jobs, or become an entrepreneur.<br />
The education stopped teaching long ago and has now turned into a cash grab.

Best Answer

yeah all these professors that do the same darn lecture year after year... it's like they don't even try anymore

Best Answer

Online is the worst. They give you a book, their email, and you're own your own. Teaching not included in tuition apparently.
Last week I had an instructor go missing for 2 days. No one could reach him. It turned out, he went on vacation....

Best Answer

I was thinking about this today as I work my summer job; plumber. I chose one of the cheapest state schools and still I will have lots of student loan debt. I live a pretty financially responsible life. Live with parents to save money. drive a 1999 accord. etc. I don't really study hard, but I went to zero parties. However it is hugely encouraged and you are a friendless loser otherwise (lol me). I get straight A's because i'm a business major and the curriculum is soooo dumbed down. At this point it's not about what I am learning. It's a piece of paper that says I don't ever have to do plumbing again.

Best Answer

I wouldn't say partying actually overcomes studying in terms of time. Most the fraternities at my college actually mandated study time, but you have a point that the value of the education is eroding, while at the same time becoming more crucial as degrees proliferate. One thing that has always bothered me is the buy-a-degree institutions. I mean seriously...I thought I wasn't getting a good deal at my school so I started touring other schools, only to find out to my horror that their senior level classes were about on par with our sophomore lectures. They got degrees in accordance with their credit hours, but the content of those credits was wildly different.

Best Answer

most of the on-campus greek life is balanced between community service, parties, and academic achievement. but at least for me, thursday-sunday is party time for any nearby apartment complex, house, off-campus greek life.

Best Answer

exactly. In dorms usually people party wed- sunday. And also even if say you don't party you are surrounded by loud people who do not shut up until 1 am. How does that lend itself to being able to study and focus? Nevermind the corporate polacements everywhere, the easy access to debt and credit card encouraged ( i got four credit cards sent to me because they offer free stuff luckily I never used it much)

Best Answer

Agreed. Plus, I learned far more after college than I ever did inside that structured system which discourages independent thinking and rewards rote memorization. I should have skipped college and traveled for four years. That would have been more rewarding and taught me about the real world.

Best Answer

yeah i learned to hate my chosen career( media and communications ) lol.

Best Answer

Yeah. I'm in the midst of a career/identity crisis at the moment. I'm learning to believe there is more to myself than what I have become (thank you Mufasa) and I can change my life to become what I desire.

Best Answer

yeah i mean im applying for my mfa only because I want the writing connections. But really college unless you go into academia/ medicine can only take you so far. And in state universities like mine those large lectural halls can swallow you up and spit you out.

Best Answer

True. I remember those lecture halls as pits full of people who were mostly sleeping or (in the days before smart phones) drawing pictures in their notebooks. I've always loved to learn but I've always hated school. I used to think that was a contradiction, but now I think it makes perfect sense.

Best Answer

it's like that ted education video about learning and education... i forget the name

Best Answer

Don't think I've seen that one. I'll have to check it out. Love those videos!

Best Answer
Best Answer

Love it! Thanks for sharing! As an artistic person, I often felt that I had to hide my true self at school and focus on the "serious" subjects. We still allow that to happen to far too many creative people.

Best Answer

Uhm, no. Unless you want to be a lawyer or a doctor college degree is not needed in america anymore. I work at a warehouse in the midwest and have a GED and make $29.80 an hour. Been there 2 years, If you work hard at any job, you will see the reward.

Best Answer

Yes. Still the best ROI

Best Answer

Think of that whenever some idiot talks about how great Obama is.

Best Answer

whyyy is this a political argument? Both republicans and democrats have done a crappy job at handling this problem

Best Answer

It's a political problem because it's the government that is sending our jobs overseas for slave wages and high profits, while unemployed Americans are losing their homes and are unable to pay back their student loans.

Best Answer

blah internationally people are just as unemployed and poor and america depends on other countries for their economy, namely china. That's more worrisome

Best Answer

gotta love the Obama fix of the economy.

Best Answer

Please it's not just obama... this goes back to the Bushes ( both of them) Regean and well the dawn of time. The paradigm of college education is clearly needing to change. I don't understand how a college degree can cost the same as four houses.

Best Answer

because they are fantastic sales men they've managed to sell every business on the necessity of a college education not to mention every student. now i see ads in the paper looking for someone to fill an entry level position must have a 2 year degree or equivalent experience, really for a job as a burger flipper? give me a break. college is way over rated, it is needed for some jobs but not nearly as many as people think.

Best Answer

yeah even like retail they are acting like u need all this experience. It's ridiculous.

Best Answer

unfortunately everybody buys into it. supply and demand takes over.

Best Answer

I agree with the stupidly high prices being exaggerated, but that's it. If you truly cared about your education you would of gotten a lot of offers in grants and scholarships

Best Answer

well, it depends. Scholarships are hard to find. I didn't pay for my college and I did get grants and scholarships/ help from family but it's very competitive.

Best Answer

Scholarships are not hard to look for. You can find plenty of sites that deal with these type of things.
Of course it's competitive. It's not like public school where any idiot can graduate.

Best Answer

Actually any idiot can graduate if he has money and connections.

Best Answer

It's not that lenient. Colleges wouldn't risk damaging their reputation by letting any Joe graduate who under preforms.

Best Answer

if you are a legacy, you will get in.

Best Answer

How many legacies are there and how many of them get a vital degree that has immediate effects?

Best Answer

in an ivy league university? A good amount.

Best Answer

Refer to my 3rd comment

Best Answer

I don't doubt that there are major problems with the structure of higher education in America. However as a college student I do think that there is still significant value to a college education - depending on what you study, how good you are at it, and how much you enjoy it.

Best Answer

very well said

Best Answer

Yes it is.

Best Answer

i agree but i would send my kids to another country to get educated... it's way too expensive in the states and even england although in england it's less years and books are cheaper

Best Answer

Nope

Best Answer