Questionator Questionator 26-30 87 Answers Jun 15, 2011

Question of the Day

In any first world country education should be free to all...

Top Answer #1
Best Answer

???

Best Answer

Remember in the board game 'Life' when you choose between 'college' or 'career'? I always picked college because I wanted the highest-paying job. My brother always went straight for a 'career' because he didn't like the idea of paying off loans. Nearly fifteen years later, guess who picked college and guess who went straight for a career? Guess who's fifty thousand dollars in debt with a master's degree and a not-so-high-paying-job and guess who owns his own successful business? Sure wish I could spin a magic wheel and land on a Payday, lol. OF COURSE a college education has its advantages, but in today's economy and with universities practically 'giving' diplomas away, I would be VERY careful about my major and bypass the loans if at all possible.

Top Answer #3
Best Answer

Your major must have a use to society, no matter how uninteresting it is. I guess this is why liberal arts majors are so popular, and science majors aren't

Best Answer

Yes, it is. Not just because you can get a better paying job but because you expand your knowledge.

Best Answer

nahh books don't answer your questions.

Best Answer

It was in the past, it might not be anymore. There aren't enough jobs for everyone who graduates. There is more student loan debt in the United States than credit card debt -- over a trillion dollars.

Best Answer

I have to say yes and no.

Yes because if you want a specific career but can't pursue it unless you went to college to learn about it, then yes, a college education is worth the cost.

But then I could say no, because you can make a career from some general jobs and be happy with that.

Best Answer

Sure! If someone else is paying for it.

Best Answer

Beats the cost of not having one.

Best Answer

It's worth as much as the experience you can earn if you didn't go to college, maybe less. All it carries is status, and that can only get you so far.

Best Answer

Depends on the school and degree. IMO, no liberal arts degree is worth the money. Some law degress and business degrees aren't worth the money. Back when I went to school, I could work one summer as a surveyor and pay for my entire year. Not sure that's possible, anymore. I lived at home and went to a local school.

Also, not everyone is cut out for college. Some folks should be going to voc/tec or community colleges. We need skilled workers and trades people. I lived next door to an AC guy who made a lot more than I did. He had his own company, but he started at the bottom.

Best Answer

A college education is no longer automatically worth the cost. Nowadays, the cost must be calculated based on whether or not one could get a job with a particular degree. Colleges are perfectly happy to have you go there so they will not inform you that many of their degrees are worth nothing on the job market. The way to calculate the cost of college based on what kind of job the degree would bring is to talk to a person who is doing the job you would like to have. That is the person who can advise you as to whether or not a college degree is needed for that particular career.

As for real education, those wonderful things that are not practical, not worth money, but are parts of a real, personally enriching education, the things about education that can't be measured with a dollar sign...audit the classes for fun and personal enrichment but don't necessarily expect those classes to prepare you for the job market.

Best Answer

Mine wasn't

Best Answer

It solely depends on what u make out of it.

And the cost is not just monetary, u miss out on a lot other stuff too.

But still its what u make out of it.

In my place most colleges are horrible. U cant trust them.

Best Answer

There are some 'students' studying completely worthless subjects, just to get an easy path to a degree. Our education system is gone completely mad, because the 'learned elders ' of the uni's. are looking to fund their uni's any way they can. All at the expense of education.Where money talks, everything else goes out of the window.

Best Answer

i have an idea. Revolutionary... or perhaps meaningless. Think of a university which accepts everyone except for the drug addicts, or ones who will take advantage of the system. This university will never accept payment upon enrollment. The way it works, is you will pay after you have graduated, have a nice job, with a house, a family and a dog, and you are h a double p y. So, you're gonna have money, and paying wont be a problem. This education system in my opinion, would encourage education, be very successful and simply put, would work. College kids rarely have money. Thus, paying a huge college bill is nearly impossible. Also, this school would be based in a sunny happy state of USA, and primarily for motivated international kids, to change the world. Essentially, this school would streamline the process of getting to the states, and getting a high quality education, to live happily. Now, if you get enough people doing this, you'll have many more kids who are educated, making the world a much better place. Since the system would work, business would work, and it would be very good. Of course start-up costs would be fairly astronomical. However, the cost is small, in comparison to the world changing. Thus, after, lets say ten years, conventional colleges would begin to change, in the face of the success of this university-idea. Essentially I've combined long-term loans with a university. in other words, a bank-college. i have a feeling, however, that this might have been thought of before, but thrown out due to costs... Of course, the realization was never made of the world.. idk.... In my humble opinion, alot of happy faces would develop due to this idea. ------->Quality education, without the worry of payment.

Best Answer

NO!!!! I am nearly sixty thousand in debt with no bachelors to show, because oops, the school says, you're out of funds, goodbye. Despite the 99% of a degree that I do have no one will consider me for jobs. I quit high school, a few years later earned an associates, and was (..) that freaking close to finishing my four year degree online. So no I don't think it was worth it for me.

Best Answer

How much would it cost you to finish? Perhaps, you get a family member or friend to help you take out another loan? Also, you can try Stafford loans, if you haven't already done so, which are low interest rate loans offered by the US gov't. The only thing tho, is they only allow 23,000 US dollars for an undergrad his/her entire lifetime, for college.
In my opinion, as long as you truly are 99% done, and the school would accept you back, it would be fairly easy to get another loan. I mean, you're almost done, for chissakes!

Best Answer

Yes, you can't get any job worth having with out it these days. You can't even get a low paying job with out these days. I say, get an associates and find a company who will pay towards the bachelors that way you can start your career and finish school with out as much debt. A degree helps one get there foot in the door but does not guarantee success; After you get your foot in the door you still have to work hard and find to get to the top, if that is what a person wants. Then don't forget office politics and playing that game. It's always something but bottom line..a degree gets your foot in the door and then you have to keep working hard to do the rest. Yes, it is worth it and even better if you can find a company that will help pay some of the cost.

Best Answer

I agree with you 100%

Best Answer

I'm going for almost nothing next year but without grants and loans, it's way too much. We go to college and read and work with our hands in a classroom. Do we really need a degree telling everyone that we can read? Do we really need to spend thousands of dollars to prove that?

Best Answer

Today undoubtedly the cost of education is increasing, but should take into account that it is a great investment for the future to get a good career........:)

Best Answer

Its worth the cost and the hard work. Something never comes from nothing you have to earn your keep. A green energy degree will get you a job worth 100,000 a year.

Best Answer

Not anymore. Once upon a time it was, but not now.. It takes a bachelor's degree and $50,000 of student loan debt to be able to become a waiter/waitress. Everyone wants to get a degree so they can be handed a job, but no one out there wants to create businesses that hire people. A degree doesn't create businesses. Smart people create businesses, regardless of what formalized education they have. No wonder the economy is doing horribly. Giving everone a degree doesn't improve our economy.

Best Answer

Lol open your business but when you can't balance your books, market your product, order your supplies or do your taxes lets see how far you get.

Best Answer

And 4 years of college is gonna teach me all of that? Tell me how Steve Jobs and Bill Gates did it. They obviously had NO IDEA what they were doing cause they were good-for-nothing dropouts. -__-. Hey, are you responding to my answer using a Mac or a PC? Lol, education-troll-fail is fail.

Best Answer