QueenIzabella QueenIzabella 56-60 7 Answers Feb 9, 2013 in Community

Fantastic stuff.....the only food that will not spoil in it's natural state.

Best Answer

local = best

Best Answer

I've heard that you can eat local honey comb to combat allergies, a holistic dr told me that.

Best Answer

I know that honey is supposed to provide certain health benefits, this one is news to me. I've seen honeycomb in the grocery store, have been curious as to what it's like to eat!

Best Answer

prolly gross to chew, I think in tea it might be yummy, idk though... fun to experiment with though

Best Answer

I'm not too keen, but jars or tubs of honey were found in or near the pyramids in Egypt, which were about 5,000 years old, and they were still edible, apparently

Best Answer

Amazing fact! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

Yes and there are a lot of companies that are adulterating their honey with corn syrup & labeling it as 100% pure honey. Real honey crystallizes on the jar when it gets cold and real honey is hard to dissolve in cold water. Just do an experiment if you are in doubt, put a spoonful of the fake stuff in a glass of cold water and you can watch it dissolve within a few minutes. The real stuff has to be stirred & stirred in a cup of hot beverage and then some of it will still sink to the bottom. Walgreens sold me some of the fake honey, I got 4 bottles on sale and brought them all back after doing that experiment, didn't taste remotely similar to honey either. I also have a bottle of local honey that has been adulterated, it was a gift from someone and I didn't notice till it got cold and was the texture of thick caramel instead of crystallizing.<br />
When I returned the honey to Walgreens for a refund the manager came up and asked why, I told him I use honey for a medicine as it coats my stomach and stops heartburn, and that sugar and corn syrup will not, in fact corn syrup causes heart palpitations for me.<br />
I e-mailed the company of that fake honey and told them exactly that, and was not a bit surprised that they did not reply. They know they are guilty.

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing some fascinating info, I'm going to try that experiment on the stuff I have in the cupboard!

Best Answer