Philosophical & psychological reasons not to carry one....
HarmonicesMundi HarmonicesMundi 22-25 25 Answers Nov 11, 2012 in Hobbies

People managed for tens of thousands of years without cell phones.

Best Answer

Well said... humanity did not begin in 2001 or 1982 or 1965 or 1911...

Best Answer

as long as you can find a pay phone

Best Answer

I have one use, it about once a month.Comes in handy to arange a lift when i am travelling.

If you can get by without why bother .A lot of people will tell you its a necessity for all sorts of stupid reasons,But secretly love it.

Best Answer

Definitely not a necessity...maybe more of a convenience or fad or habit. I rarely pack one. I don't like talking on the phone much anyway, let alone have one attached to my person. ; )

Best Answer

As a matter of convenience yeah cell phones are great. But I have to say when I can't pay the bill and it gets shut off for a couple of weeks it is absolutely wonderful to know that I can't be tracked down within seconds by anyone.

Best Answer

only need one if youre stuck in the middle of nowhere and need a phone or an emergency where you had to call the police, it might come in handy then

Best Answer

I have one out of necessity, when I had an accident in July, I was only saved because of it and that I could reach it. Otherwise I could've been facing amputaion. Uggh!!

The sound is off. Missed calls cannot be answered as it costs money to use it. Texts are free and can be dealt with at leisure. People learn never to phone. I can phone when I like if I like. It is my servant.

I utterly detest the phone. You are at the end of it, stuck with it, immobile- well unable to do much- while someone talks to you and it can be beyond obscene if they go on for too long.

Best Answer

I have a habit of not always carrying my mobile, I check it regualrly tho. so i always reply to messages and can see if anyone is been trying to contact me.

Best Answer

Good luck finding a payphone

Best Answer

That is not the point I was trying make....

Best Answer

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be offensive. I know 1 other person who refused to use a cell. It's not impossible, and in an emergency you can borrow one...

Best Answer

They are lethal to bats and birds.

No, wait-that's windfarms.

Best Answer

For me it is a necessity because it is my only means of communication. Especially because I am responsible for taking care my school aged kid and need to be accessable for that purpose.

Best Answer

Well done. I keep one because I have kids. Otherwise, I am not sure I would carry it with me most of the time, but I would have one for when I travel.

Best Answer

Good enough answer ?

Best Answer

I think. I hate the phone, period. I don't even care to talk to my own mother on the phone. If I can't talk face-to-face, I would rather write a physical letter. They can be so much fun.

Best Answer

Ahh...so I am not alone who wishes to make use of my epistolary utensils...

Best Answer

No. In fact, my personal reward to myself if I accomplish a significant goal is to get a new Lamay fountain pen. I have not had one in years. I thought they were French, but I guess they are German. So easy to with that they are actually fun. I am practically giddy just thinking about it.

Best Answer

Lamay good choice...I suggest to get one of those journals or old paper to write your thoughts...also don't order it on line but go out and buy one to make more of an experience !

Best Answer

Good idea.

Best Answer

No. I do not want to be at anybody's beck and call. I will communicate in the manner I choose, at the pace I choose. Why be a slave to your lesser impulses?

Best Answer

No it's not, but it is useful in case of emergencies. I have a lot of sick people in my family and I feel the need to have one in case someone ends up going to the hospital.

Best Answer

In my job, it was a necessity. Now that I'm at home all the time, it's not. But I like that my wife has one for when she's on the road, alone. And I keep mine because a second line is only 10 bucks. [:{)

Best Answer

no i don't think it us a necessity, but a lot of people feel overly attached to their phones and constantly on them. i myself do not text and only sometimes get phone calls, so some of the time i leave my phone at home or forget to grab it before i leave.

Best Answer

no its not- i don't have a high tech cell phone

Best Answer

No it is not. I am thinking about getting rid of mine.

Best Answer

i guess its fine but does come in handy in an emergency

Best Answer

as does a spare dollar or 2

Best Answer

i rarely see pay phones anymore but ok

Best Answer

No, not a necessity...more of a convenience in my case.

Best Answer