Self-Improvement Guru, Anthony Robbins suggest that Depression is an Emotional State you can switch on and off. While the psychological community says it is a illness of the mind. Which do you believe and why?
SunsetDaily SunsetDaily 36-40, F 15 Answers Apr 10 in Community

As you can probably see, most people think of it as an illness of sorts that requires medication. However, although I believe it can get to the point where you may need medical attention (i.e. suicidal thoughts, actions, etc.), it is preventable if you do something about it early on and remain optimistic. It is the person's choice of how far they will let their depression go, because it is their state of mind. I think it is over-diagnosed and is used as a crutch by many just to get "happy pills" to make them feel better of themselves.

Best Answer

It can be caused by mental state. There are also physical issues that can cause it. The only person who can determine what the cause is to treat it appropriately is the physician of the individual suffering from it. <br />
I have found it is rarely a choice.

Best Answer

unfortunately depression is a real and serious illness that deserves serious attention

Best Answer

please tell me more

Best Answer

Your opinion has been Noted tenente

Best Answer

yay! :D

Best Answer

Emotional State

Best Answer

lies :D

Best Answer

I think there may be some truth to that<br />
Just like happiness is a choice.

Best Answer

It is a state that we all go through from time to time. While unpleasant for sure it is something that can be worked through. Instead committees of psychiatrists, in their deliberations, take menus of human behavior, and then they group behaviors into clusters. For each cluster, they determine there is a disorder. They sit in a room and argue all this out, and come up with labels and symptomsโ€”and in this thoroughly unscientific fashion, they recycle human suffering and emotional pain and confusion and problems into neat categories. They provide no tests. They simply make the rules, and they expect obedience, because they are the self-appointed authorities.<br />
SSRI drugs are dangerous and cause more harm then good. The whole chemical imbalance thing is a theory and there is no test to prove this theory.

Best Answer

Why in the world would anyone Choose to be depressed? And anyone who has ever been deeply depressed will tell you that you cannot switch it on and off. This Robbins sounds like a moron.

Best Answer

Yup, n So do u

Best Answer

So, what is Your answer to the question, genius?

Best Answer

It's NOT a choice, that's for certain. I've spent the last several years fighting depression in every way possible.

Best Answer

I believe Depression comes from a biochemical imbalance in the brain. Either too much or too little of certain hormones and/or neurotransmitters (e.g. Serotonin) are thought to influence a person's sense of well being. <br />
Medication helps but goes hand in hand with life style changes (such as more exercise, work/recreation balance etc.) and a "reprogramming" of some sort when it comes to depression triggers. So in the end I think both cases you mentioned above are true and should be taken into account when trying to get it under control..

Best Answer

I think it is a state.May require medication though.

Best Answer