I just did that, but it was an accident and I'm afraid of being arrested for it.
gullibleboy gullibleboy 18-21, M 15 Answers Nov 2, 2010

They have to take all calls seriously. A hang up call can mean that the person was forced to hang up while in a dangerous situation and NEEDS help. <br />
I imagine it depends on where you are, but it's possible that fines may be imposed.... especially if you cause someone who really needed help to be unable to get it in a timely manor because you hung up.<br />
If you accidentally hang up, it's best to call back and tell them quickly that you dialed in error, are fine and apologize for wasting their time.

Best Answer

yes.plus all calls are followed up on,often with a police visit.<br />
have fun. the emergency system is there for emergencies.

Best Answer

In the UK it's a crime to ring 999 (our emergency number) without a valid reason, as it wastes the time of emergency services and could even result in lost lives if the police, ambulances or firemen are diverted from genuine emergencies. If you dial and hang up the connection will have been made, and they will try to locate where it came from in case there is an emergency. How are they to know the difference between a time waster and someone who was genuinely trying to call for help but was cut off by a captor or by a line being damaged in a fire?

Best Answer

Yes and you can be prosecuted for it

Best Answer

Do what creamsicle said, call and tell them it was an accident.

Best Answer

How do you call 911 by accident? I've never been able to do it without trying!

Best Answer

To do so intentionally is a crime and also a CRIME. What I mean by that is if anyone out there thinks this a joke, you could potentially cause someone else to die. Seconds matter on 911 calls and tying up one line could make the difference between someone living and dying. I say this as a mother whose four year old son barely made it to the hospital in time. This was almost twenty years ago and he is fine today, nevertheless, 911 is ONLY for emergencies.<br />
As to your accidental slip, everyone is human.

Best Answer

JNo, but if you witness an accident and call 911 but then realize others already did, you should explain this to that dispatcher instead of just hanging up.

Best Answer

I'd hope so, Because if it's done intentionally then it's just plain idiotic.

Best Answer

Here you could if you we're to do it several times they do not play about something that serious....

Best Answer

i don't know if you can be arrested for it, but the police that respond would probably be really pissed :X

Best Answer