aguilar74 aguilar74 31-35 20 Answers Jul 21, 2009

Hi aguilar74<br />
It is normal to idealize family and therefore to feel bad for not having an ideal relationship. I think this is a time honored control game played inside families. <br />
The answer to your question is no not abnormal to have bad relationships with parents and siblings. Sad yes. Realistic no. <br />
My own relationships are dreadful. I did not go my father's funeral. He did not go my sister's wedding! I have never met my brother's son! All normally dreadful I suspect. Shame hey!<br />
:)

Best Answer

No, it is actually quite common. We (humans) are a rather dysfunctional bunch.

Best Answer

I don't know my brother He always has a different opinion and says thing's I don't agree with he's to serious an keeps thinking I'm saying thing's about him in an argument it's ridiculous i'm not makes a big thing of it and i'd rather him not.. and now because of this mine just left home..I'm quite a cold person and don't need that I think he's being immature. my life's not working out and I could of used some help but what he says to me has no relevance to my life. it's sad but true he did not speak to me about what his problem was he just walked out now he's I'm older than him but I'm not the one with the problem with him he has it with me. so be it. I could be kinder but it's not good when people around you have a score card and say the same thing's about you wanting you to change your tone of voice because they don't like the way you speak. it's called an attitude. it's what you say not how you say it..and at the end of the day why how you say something matter is beyond my ability unless they are going to folk out for class'es for speech therapy they can screw them-self. after reading this you have an idea for me then great. but to answer your question i'd say yes it's normal.

Best Answer

I USE to think that I was abnormal, because I have a bad relationship with my parents. But I have found that there are a lot of people like me. Just because I think they have it good, doesn't mean they do.

Best Answer

I come from a dysfunctional family my 2 eldest children did not invite me to their weddings etc I think sometimes history repeats itself if we allow it as same situation in my childhood.

Best Answer

They say that you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family.....<br />
I haven't spoken to any of my siblings since my mothers funeral over two years ago, and prior to that (all my life really) my relationship with my mother was strained / non existant / volatile (at various times). <br />
My dad died when I was a child so I guess you could say that I haven't spoken to him for a while too...... <br />
I have several surrogate mums and as many surrogate siblings as I need, and they're a result of mutual respect and friendship - much better than that old 'blood is thicker than water' thing!

Best Answer

Not abnormal, not at all.<br />
Unless it would be considered abnormal if that relationship was with a non-family member.

Best Answer

Not for me, sometimes I wish the drama would end with mine. But hey you can't change anyone so it's best to let go if that's what makes you happy and lets you live a healthy life. All the stress and headache is not worth it. No matter how much sometimes you can't help but miss them since afterall, they are family. If they aren't a positive influence in your life, they don't deserve the priviledge of you including them in your life.

Best Answer

No, not at all, I have a brother and sister. Didnt speak to my brother for 7 years due to a bust up over money, but he has changed now for the better and we get on great. As for my sister, we seldom speak because I simply do not like her as a person. Its the old adage, you can pick your friends but you cant pick your family

Best Answer

Angeleyes777 - you talk to one more than I!<br />
Is it normal to HAVE good relationships? I don't think so.<br />
c8lorraine: you'd for sure get the bad end of a swapping family pact with mine!

Best Answer

No...everybody has these problems...don't know why?<br />
Wouldn't it be great if we could just swap families

Best Answer

I don't talk to one of my brothers, at all. I find live more peaceful that way. For other people, it is abnormal. My friend (who gets along with both of siblings) find that hard to understand but it's better this way.

Best Answer

If you are actively trying to kill each other that's bad and abnormal. <br />
It's normal to treat your family like you would people who treat you in the way that they do. (that's an awkward sentence sorry) Usually people give them more chances but if any person is bad to you it's normal to have a less than perfect relationship. If it's a burden to you to have that relationship then reach out to them from time to time. People change and like I said before treat others the way they are treated for the most part. <br />
No one's family is as good as it looks, I have a friend who I thought had like a TV perfect family. She didn't and thought the same about mine.

Best Answer

No; that's life!

Best Answer

i dont know if its abnormal or not. <br />
I have 3 siblings and i do not speak to 2 of them, not spoken to my father in 20 years. Dysfunctional maybe.

Best Answer

It depends on what kind of people you all are. I have two sisters, both older than me. The oldest, we kinda have this connection that's pretty cool, the next? It's almost like we weren't cut from the same cloth. She's the type who ALWAYS has a phone stuck to her head. If you go do lunch she's on the phone the entire time or texting the entire time, like, she's not there "with" you, her complete attention is somewhere else. She's a drama magnet too, which I abhor. So, yeah... if you like to be ignored, and be a private audience to chaos and drama, she's your gal. Me? No thank you, I think I'd rather scrub a stranger's toilet bowl than spend an hour with that sister. <br />
My mom? She's a very good person, but she has a tough life and I sorta have to take her in strides & increments. My dad? He's an alcoholic who neglects his basic hygiene and enjoys picking arguments... so, not much of a well for relationships there. Is in abnormal? I'm sure you see all sorts of circumstances, when you look deep enough, into any family.

Best Answer