yes it is unbluged. its one of them little old little ones. the ones that play tapes. I got a move stuck in it and im gonna take it apart but first i wanna make shure i wont die. that would suck. PS: the movie is Thumbelina.
stray4life stray4life 18-21, F 18 Answers Jan 3, 2010

well my first thought was why bother for thumbelina but it's your movie and if you wanna go through the trouble go for it.

some parts of the TV may still hold a small eclectic charge but nothing dangerous. and unless you plan on tearing the thing apart you shouldn't encounter any of those components. I've taken apart a LOT of electronics. go for it.

Best Answer

Not at all as long as it's plugged in and you use uninsulated pliers and other tools.

RU NUTZ? For $200 you can get a great, new color TV. Waddya think the ER will cost you? [Don't even CONSIDER calling a repair man]

Best Answer

Don't know. Old ones used to have capacitors ( or something like that) that could spark and explode if you touched across the wires and suddenly released their stored electric charge, and I think old vacuum tubes could burst

Best Answer

Yes it can be very dangerous to disassemble on old television. The firing capacitors can produce 20-30,000 volts of 'instant shock' (think defibrilator), that is the amount of charge that was required to fire the cathode ray tubes to life. Be very careful if you are going to do this!

Best Answer

If it is a flatscreen, not so much.

If it is a larger tube or box shape, you can kill yourself, even if the thing is unplugged. This is due to the components holding very high charges that are needed for the cathode rays.

Have fun. But be safe.

Best Answer

These (below) have been some of the most varied and incorrect answers that could have been contributed. The capacitor is the only thing that you need to worry about if you are only trying to do minor repair. It takes a dummy to break the tube open and a bigger idiot to sit there and keep inhaling noxious gas. Don't be afraid. Just use common sense.

Best Answer

You won't be able to rewatch Thumbelina anyhow. The tape is warped and everytime you get to that part the VCR will eat the tape again. I took apart a VCR to save a tape and I had that problem over and over.

You need to clean the heads with 70% alcohol and a thin foam type tool. Don't use a Q-tip, the cotton fibers will get into the machine and damage it. I don't know if they still sell VCR tape cleaning tapes, if so buy one and use/clean it often, especially if you use the VCR a lot.

Best Answer

as long as you dont touch the transformer.

Best Answer

The type of TV that you have described would be, the tube contains a very poisonous gas. I dont know much about TVs but I wanted to pull one apart for an art piece I was working on, I couldnt though because I heard that the tube (whatever that is) has a very poisonous gas in it, it also might be explosive, but I know that it is definatly poisonous.

Best Answer

i think it you break the picture tube--that can be very dangerous...actually I think watching T.V. is dangerous lol

I threw mine in the dumpster.

Best Answer

Very,if youi haven't taken the plug out, and be carefull if you try to put it back in when you have been tinketing.

Best Answer

If you leave it unplugged for about a week the charge should be gone allowing you to take it apart. It stores energy to turn on the tube. If you don't let it sit you could die if you cross the wires to the firing cappasitors

Best Answer