Believe it or not, a doctor DID once tell me that fruit is to be avoided to lessen carb intake, because it is still a source of sugar. This particular doctor said better to focus on green vegetables

Best Answer

Thank you so much! I thought it was for that reason but someone tried to convince me that I was wrong. Now, I need to lay off the berries :(

Best Answer

Fruits contains a lot fo simple sugars that could elevate your blood sugar levels.

Best Answer

only if you're taking a good multi vitamin

Best Answer

Thank you :D

Best Answer

I would think not-but wada I knaw

Best Answer

:D

Best Answer

No. Eat a balanced diet.

Best Answer

Balanced, schmalanced. Some things in the food pyramid are just plain crappy.

Best Answer

Diet sales dream...

Best Answer

How so? Do you know anything about how carbs effect your metabolism? If I researched my diet myself, am I still a gullible consumer? Enlighten me.

Best Answer

It's a matter of the right types of carbohydrates. There are good and bad in all forms of nutrition and reasons to take some of all of them in. Doing the research is a great thing and should lead you to a good plan but so much new information is coming out it is difficult to keep up with. However, the balanced schmalanced comment did not lead me to believe you were researching.

Best Answer

The "balanced schmalanced" comment was a serious point. Some carbs are okay, like vegetables grown above ground. Certain low sugar fruits. The ones grown below ground are usually starchy and full of sugars. That is an oversimplification, but you should understand what I am saying. And there is plenty of evidence to come to light recently that grains are not at all healthy when eaten in manner that most Americans consume. Consider wheat for example. It contains plant estrogens and causes gluten sensitivities, which result in weight gain. Some grains like rice and semolina contribute to insulin resistance. Then on top of this, many grains are genetically modified which compromises their nutritional content. So the food pyramid is a kind of a meaningless educational too in the effort to lose weight or stay fit. I didn't want to argue with you, but there is much information about Paleo/ Keto dieting online. It gets results, no gimmicks.

Best Answer

No arguments. I agree with what you're saying now that we've gone deeper.

Best Answer

The "balanced schmalanced" comment was a serious point. Like you said, some carbs are okay, like certain fruit and vegetables. Not all are created equal. If you want to lose weight or keep it off, you certainly shouldn't eat a potato when you can have spinach. You should not choose a plate of semolina pasta over broccoli. Evidence has come to light recently that grains are not at all healthy when eaten in the manner that most Americans consume. The nutritional content is debatable, especially given the use of gmo's which decrease nutrient value in food. They should not be a staple food, yet people eat cereal every morning for breakfast, bread for lunch and pasta for dinner. The food pyramid is vague and over simplified. It doesn't show that you can get the same, if not better, nutrient value through eating other things. The pyramid also doesn't address how the "balance" should differ person to person because we are all different. It doesn't tell diabetics, or people with metabolic disorder, or those with gluten sensitivities to avoid certain things. Also, healthy fats are completely misrepresented. The food pyramid is a disempowering model and doesn't represent research, at all. It is just plain lazy and anti-intellectual.

Best Answer

The "balanced schmalanced" comment was a serious point. Like you said, some carbs are okay, like certain fruit and vegetables. Not all are created equal. If you want to lose weight or keep it off, you certainly shouldn't eat a potato when you can have spinach. You should not choose a plate of semolina pasta over broccoli. Evidence has come to light recently that grains are not at all healthy when eaten in the manner that most Americans consume. The nutritional content is debatable, especially given the use of gmo's which decrease nutrient value in food. They should not be a staple food, yet people eat cereal every morning for breakfast, bread for lunch and pasta for dinner. The food pyramid is vague and over simplified. It doesn't show that you can get the same, if not better, nutrient value through eating other things. The pyramid also doesn't address how the "balance" should differ person to person because we are all different. It doesn't tell diabetics, or people with metabolic disorder, or those with gluten sensitivities to avoid certain things. Also, healthy fats are completely misrepresented. So is the amount and type of physical activity one should do (certain models include that). The food pyramid is a disempowering model and doesn't represent research, at all. It is just plain lazy and anti-intellectual.

Best Answer