Just to clarify, I would never do so in particularly hot or cold conditions, in fact I never do it right now as it is... There are just some times when I know I just need to run into the gas station to pay or I just need to run into the pharmacy and pick up an Rx when I wish my pooch could come along for the ride because I miss her :-) Another note: She LOVES riding in the car... I have trouble keeping her out of it if I open the door. She loves to just sit in the front seat and look out the window. I guess I just feel bad leaving her at home alone when I do have to run errands when I know she loves riding with me.
Abana Abana 22-25, F 14 Answers Jan 23, 2009

dogs need fresh air as they do not have sweat glands like we do that cool down our system

it is foolish to take your dog to the store 'just for the ride'...as you have to leave the window down, not just a little but a lot....your dog could either get out, get stolen ...or your car can be stolen

if your dog loves the car so much take it specifically for a ride to the park or something .....

Best Answer

I think it depends on where you live, but I don't see why you shouldn't as long as you use common sense concerning the weather and temperature and as long as you leave the window cracked.

Best Answer

I never do that in the summer time

Best Answer

As long as you leave the windows down an inch!

That way, Heat does not build up!!

AND your friend gets FRESH AIR!!

Best Answer

In Arizona it is illegal to leave any animal or child in a car even with the windows "cracked."

Best Answer

I don't think so, but it would depend on the situation. If you think that you are being cruel or unfair to the dog, then don't do it, but otherwise I don't see the harm in it. Just make sure that she is comfortable and safe in what ever situation you leave her. Use your common sense.

Best Answer

Whether it's illegal or not, depends on your state....but it's thinking of yourself, not your pet....

Don't give someone the opportunity to steal your pet...or for something to happen to them, even for a split second...they are like kids, a minute or two can change your life...and theirs...

Keep them safe, keep them at home.

Best Answer

Probably not, but definitely mean, cruel and selfish.

It could get your window bashed in by an animal lover for not leaving them opened adequately.

Leave your dog home if you are shopping & doing errands.

Best Answer

It could be depending on where you live. Common sense says not to leave your dog in the car if it's too hot or in the sun, and to leave a window cracked open.

I know of people that take their dogs to work and leave them in the car. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Best Answer

No. However, if it's hot, not cracking the window may get you cited for animal cruelty.

Best Answer

All I can say is, when I go to a store and any place where there are cars parked, and I hear a dog barking in a car that is just sitting there,, it really angers me. I almost want to sit there with the poor thing till its owners comes back. I NEVER left my dog in the car, not only for the answers given above, but for the simple fact that he was my "baby", and with all the idiots roaming the streets, if anything would have happened to him, I could NEVER forgive myself. To me, It's like leaving a child in the car alone. I would only bring my dog with me on errands if they were drive-thrus (the bank, fast food). If i just wanted to take him for a ride on a beautiful day,, we would just ride in the car,,period. He enjoyed that. I loved my dog dearly, and his safety was priority,, ALWAYS!!!

Best Answer

It depends on where you live. In my state it's fine as long as the window is cracked enough for them to get air in.

Best Answer

That's not fair really guys, dogs love to ride in the car, and if you're only going to be in the store for a few minutes, it's fine as long as you crack the window to give them fresh sniffing air. Dogs are very scent oriented and they're gonna want to sample the air. Don't leave them in there more than 15 minutes though and never if it's more than 75 degrees.

Best Answer