If you are essentially dating someone (i.e. you spend most of your free time with one another, you are sleeping with one another, spending your nights together, and you are paying for dates), does that person still have carte blanche to see other people because you haven't said "I want to be official and I want this to be exclusive?" I personally think that is ridiculous since at that point it is strongly implied, but it would be much easier for me to play by society's rules even if those rules are a bit foolish.
ssj29 ssj29 22-25, M 11 Answers Jan 6 in Dating & Relationships

If neither of you actually claim it to be official, can you be mad if they go on a date with another?

Best Answer

I think that is ridiculous as well. If that person loves you, they'll stay with you. There need be no official "we are dating" proclamation to solidify it.

Best Answer

I think you can be exclusive with someone you love as far as intimacy goes, but you should both have your own set of friends and separate interests to pursue.

Best Answer

oh i agree completely. I'm just saying if the above situation is the existing situation, and one person cheats on the other, I just feel like the person who is cheating saying "well we aren't official" is a huge copout and an unjustifiable reasoning for their actions. That is just my opinion, though. I know others don't feel that way.

Best Answer

i think its necessary, even though it may seem obvious, making it official can clear a lot of confusion.

Best Answer

yes .... if one of them in a relationship wants it to be official.

Best Answer

As ridiculous as it seems to you MAKE IT OFFICIAL for both of you to know its just the two of you.

Best Answer

In this day and age, I'd say "yes". I would not trust something as important as a good relationship to implication. Too many ways to misunderstand the other person's intention, and too many ways to miss out on being "on the same page". I don't see why just saying, "I would like to make this official because I don't want to date anyone else, and I hope you are feeling the same way", is such an issue. It shouldn't be. Nowadays people don't seem to be sure about anything, even about what defines cheating or whether open relationships or ********** are all right within a relationship. Best thing is to just COMMUNICATE and cover those ba<x>ses. It will reassure both of you to know exactly where you stand. If you are really sure that you are both seeing things the same way, then it's not necessary...but I don't think you'd be asking this question if that were absolutely the case.

Best Answer

you can't go very deep into a relationship without some degree of exclusivity - otherwise ultimately all you really are is some superficial emotional support, tension release and a wet spot

Best Answer

I agree with you, but if you want to make sure that the other person in the relationship is truly in love you want to try and make it official. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Best Answer

Yeah, it does. That's a good point, actually. Taking precautionary measures.

Best Answer

In my head it sounded fine but then i re read it I was like.....this does not make any sense.

Best Answer

Some people need to hear it. I did.

Best Answer