A woman aged 36 years died when she caught a cold, she got over it eventually but she had a persistent cough for weeks but felt generally healthy. Then suddenly she had a coughing fit that caused suffocation. The same happened to a man aged 24 years, he contracted a cold, then a few days later got a coughing fit that ended in the same way, suffocation. I take steoids for asthma and I get colds often I also have asthma but I never cough myself to death. so what happened here?
Lynonne Lynonne 22-25, F 4 Answers Feb 11, 2013 in Education

I'm not a doctor, but "a persistent cough for weeks" sounds to me symptomatic of something a lot more serious than just a common cold and I'd guess that it's that underlying condition (pneumonia? bronchitis?) which led to the fit that caused her death.

Best Answer

I have asthma too. I have had some major coughing fits...and i am still here.

Best Answer

yeah thats why im asking what caused these people to have fatal coughing fit from just a cold.

Best Answer