I've noticed a lot of girls my age or older only talk about their ideal man, their ideal wedding, and getting a guy to like them. When I listen to their conversations I feel very uncomfortable, I just don't like talking about relationships. I want to travel and see the world before I get into a relationship. Is this normal? (also I've been single for many years)
jsmith222 jsmith222 18-21, F 22 Answers Dec 12, 2012 in Singledom

YES, it is absolutely NORMAL. As long as it is not caused by anxiety/withdrawal and when you are having normal social and romantic relationships, then you are on your way to be a very interesting and educated person [I am reading about involuntary celibacy which creates psychological dysfunction.]

What I find ABNORMAL is seeing my young relatives go from their parent's home into marriage without being independent and going through the introspection to find what kind of person they are. Dull, boring, and uninteresting people with no curiosity, living constrained and diminished lives.

I like that you want to travel! Bravo - you are far better than the bulk of people who are disinterested in the world beyond their front door. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJJRnuCwF4&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9Be93tjTW7YfCHtOqbzMNck

Best Answer

Thank you so much for your answer and I loved the song. It's exactly what I want to do :).

Best Answer

You are absolutely normal. It's the rest of the world that's moving too fast.

Best Answer

relationships aren't for everyone. I'm sure that one day you'll meet that person that you can't get out of your head and you'll change your mind..but don't worry about it for now...don't worry about what "other girls" are doing or thinking...just be yourself....do what makes you happy...relationships mostly suck anyway. You can't trust anyone.

Best Answer

Thank you so much :) I'm going to continue to be myself

Best Answer

I think its normal and healthy. You don't need to be thinking about marriage yet. Be a single woman first, a wife second, and mother third. Travel, enjoy yourself, make sure you can take care of yourself before you can take care of a husband and family.

Best Answer

Of course. You have valid development plans in place for yourself.

Best Answer

It's okay. I have a female friend that is older and more interested in her career than men. But, she still lives a contented life.

Best Answer

Its normal not to be interested in marriage yet. But being interested in the opposite sex, and dating is something that you should probably be doing at your age. Maybe you're uncomfortable talking about it because you don't have as much experience with it. If you've never dated, and all the people you hang around with are talking about dating, then it can be very uncomfortable. But if you're honestly saying that you've never been interested in or attracted to the opposite sex, then maybe you really have no interest. Could mean you're asexual. Attraction to the opposite sex starts for most people in early teens, and even earlier a lot of the time.

Best Answer

This could be true. I could be asexual, because during my teen years I wasn't really attracted to anyone of the opposite sex (im not a lesbian by the way) I was mostly into my work. So I could be.

Best Answer

Or maybe you are just very, very particular and you haven't come across anything that attracted you yet. Usually though, there's always somebody that will entice a person, whether it be someone you know or a celebrity/fictional character. If you haven't experienced that yet, then it's possible you're asexual.

Best Answer

It is Very Normal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Just enjoy your travels.

If you are looking to get a guy after that, just be honest with him!

Best Answer

It's unusual.

Best Answer

Yup, nothing wrong with you at all. You just have a different value system right now and that is very normal.

Best Answer

that sounds more 'normal' to me... but that's cause that's what I did. I suggest traveling.

Best Answer