I've taken on the task of teaching myself about the world's major religions. I'm trying really hard to know as much background and historical context that I can. I expected to better understand Christianity by reading the basis of their belief system...but it's only made me even more frustrated with it. Has anyone else had this experience?
BlueHydrangeas BlueHydrangeas 18-21, F 26 Answers Jul 12, 2012

I don't think it's odd. I was reading from a student Bible and the commentaries and I just could not shake the feeling that God was a little old man with a temper who knew some magic tricks.

Best Answer

In the old testament especially he comes off as very Zeus like. But without the unfaithfulness. So that little old man persona would fit...

Best Answer

I've read it too and there's some freaky *** stuff in there. I was telling my therapist and she was about to vomit...like the story where the gang of men from Benjamin tried to rape a travellor so the guy he was staying with tried to shove his young daughter out the door to avoid homosexuality....but instead the traveller shoved his concubine out the door where they gang raped her and killed her? And then he chopped pieces of her up and sent them to the different Isreali tribes to show what Benjamin had done...so the other tribes slaughtered the men of Benjamin, and vowed not to let their daughters marry men of that tribe. So then it was an issue of how Benjamin would survive, so they killed all the men of certain villages and the women and children who weren't virgins, and married the rest off? Then hosted parties for the tribe of Benjamin to grab and kidnap wives?<br />
The bible's brutal.

Best Answer

That was NOT a parable, that was a story over the history of Israel. I do recognize the context, given I've read the entire thing several times and understand what a parable was. Do you know the context? And yes, I know it was supposed to show how depraved the people in that area were. But I think it's no less depraved to kill a village including children for all the virgins, or shoving women out the door to be gang-rapped to avoid homosexual rape.

Best Answer

how dare you call that freaky or brutal, that is GOD'S way.

Best Answer

I know, thinking for myself is a gross overestimation of my rank ;). I'm sure if I had God's massive intellect I would understand how all that is actually right and honorable in the big scheme of things

Best Answer

It's absolutely about the people of Israel, the 12 tribes, not the physical region. I'm not picking on Israli people I'm picking on the bible.

Best Answer

Do you recall that Abraham bargained with God over the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah that if he could find ONE righteous person, GOd would not destroy the city?

Best Answer

Yes, but I don't see how that's relevant at all. I'm not talking about Sodom or Gomorrah, that's an entire other story.

Best Answer

Anyone who claims absolute certainty of the buybull hasn't read it. It's called the buybull because you have to buy the bull to believe it.<br />
"Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."<br />
- Isaac Asimov

Best Answer

Yes, reading the Bible with the intent to understand - especially as one learns about christian history - does tend to cause one to see the insanity that is Christianity. <br />
There is a reason why pastors quote only specific verses from the Bible - avoiding the teachings of Jesus as much as possible. That's because what Jesus taught and what Paul & all of christianity teaches are such mutually exclusive messages.<br />
Some time ago, I heard a pastor say something that was the opposite of what Jesus taught, so I started paying attention to the verses being quoted in sermons and in Bible readings. Lo and behold, for a full six months, I didn't hear a single quote of Jesus (outside of the Lord's prayer).<br />
I wondered why this was the case, so I immediately began reading the teachings of Jesus. It was hard at first, because, as I said, Jesus and Christianity are mutually exclusive. Rather than give me honest answers to my sincere questions, I was called a heretic and told that I was possessed of the devil.<br />
Today I'm an ex-christian

Best Answer

Not at all. I was "on fire for the Lord" for years and years and the deeper I got into the bible the weaker my faith became.

Best Answer

No, Christianity does not follow Jesus teaching. It was inspired by pagan worship, shares many of the same holidays, claims that good comes from human sacrifice, and that god is a malevolent, punitive, jealous, angry psychopath. I personally like the Gnostic gospels, and believe that Christianity is actually anti-Christ. Jesus Christ was a brilliant MAN who was a thorn in the side of religious and political elite and was simply eliminated. The hocus-pocus in the Bible and the idea that violence - sacrifice - is good is just simply silly.

Best Answer

One problem is that "religion" is full of people...flawwed, selfish, hypocritical people. It's the same as any other group, from fans of your favorite sports team to a group of atheists. Don't let the way religion is actually practiced (imperfectly) by people get in the way of your reverring God.

Best Answer

so can anyone explain the perfect way to practice worship

Best Answer

Not if you're reading it with an open mind

Best Answer

most people find religion more foolish after actually reading the bible. nobody who has actually read it could believe that stuff.

Best Answer

i'll remember that next time i get thirsty. i'll just hit a rock with a stick and drink the water that comes out. .....wait a minute, that doesnt really happen, except in stories.

Best Answer

I have always loved the part about all the planets animals, living within walking distance of Noah's Crib. And the talking snake, isn't that Voldamort's gig.?

Best Answer

no

Best Answer

When i was young my grandparents try to take me to church, but were ask not to bring me anymore due to me asking to many question and never being able to grasp the concept of "blind faith". Bout ten years ago i asked myself why is christianity any different from any other religion if god is the "one true god". I thought surely all religions must be ba<x>sed on the same beliefs if this is true, so i too took it upon myself to see for myself what other religions say. After asking some questions to people of different faiths i came to the conclusion i was going about it all wrong. I then decided to take a historical approach and thats when real truth started to reveal itself. The bible was not a chritian religion,but rather a TOOL for men to lift them seleves up into power. It was a bust so then i started to dig a little more to see how it came to be. What i found was that christianity was a very divesified religion in the begining many sects. Each sect followed a different gossple as was recorded from diferent appostals, hence the book of so and so. Roman eporor Constantine when he decided to convert to christianity convened various chritian sect leaders, not all of them mind u,they got together to unify christianity and hand picked the gossples that would go into the bible, leaving out any gossple that didnt suit thier agenda ie. The apocrafic texts the book of mary portrying women as leaders in the religion, book of peter, book of judas, and the agnostic's that portrayed a more mistical side. Anyway i could go on and on, but this is why u have trouble decifering it. Not to mention that when king james had it traslated from aramayic to latian a lot was lost in translation.

Best Answer

If u are seeking other forms of truth, and im not kidding its very interesting check out ancient astronaut theory, realy starts making alot of sence after checking out hinduism and other old religions

Best Answer

no one today understand what was written as it has been redone so many times just to meet others needs<br />
bible to me is about the love of all and working with each other and understanding but to many it is about HATE if they do not feel as others think they should

Best Answer

First of there is probably more evil sin and horror written in the Bible than most other books, because there's a lot in the Bible about man when he's not following God's teachings, and it describes it graphically, doesn't it? It also counts the few who followed God and the huge number who didn't . In all the world Noah and his family were the only humans worth of saving from the flood. THe count is pretty accurate today, too, isn't it? These are vignettes from history--taken from hundreds of versions of the same material translated and compared and retranslated again and again, with almost no change---Somebody's looking out for it. Don't worry about being sincerely skeptical--everyone intelligent is. Take the advice of the Book itself. Open it(what a concept!) to Matthew Chapter 7, verse 7 and honestly do what it says.....Love Noelle

Best Answer

Yes, it is. Don't ba<x>se your view of Christ on what man does. Most people who identify themselves as Christians- it's only head knowledge, not in the heart. How man (Christian or not) behaves is no reflection on God. We have a free will- free to submit to His will, or go our own way.

Best Answer

Yes, i completely get what you're saying. The bible itself is full of contradictions and some of the things said just aren't rational, even if you believe and have faith in Christianity and the lord; it still seems a bit over-exaggerated with the stories that are included(Abraham sacrificing his son to show his devotion to the Lord, seems a bit drastic because isn't it contradictory to god's teachings to have to show him your devotion with murder, aren't people taught that God shows mercy? so in turn it doesn't make sense, if God shows mercy he would never ask that of anyone.) Contradictory to the faith isn't it?.

Best Answer

At the age of 13, in a time of crisis, I read the Bible, in a search for God and understanding. I found that I didn't like that God, and I was shocked and appalled at what I learned about the "heros" Moses and David. Nowhere was there any ob<x>jection or condemnation for Japeth sacrificing his virgin daughter as a "whole burnt offering" to that God, and he lived out his life as a judge. Biblical morality didn't suit me at all, and I never have, nor will I ever, worship anything of the God of Abraham.

Best Answer

the bible is fake and this is coming from a Christian.<br />
the original bible was not English and it has been translated and modified hundreds of times over the past 2000 or so years. if you read something violent or demanding in the bible then chances are it was planted there either by the string of corrupt popes around the 10-15 hundreds<br />
theres realy no way to study actual Christianity same with Islam its so old and has been changed so many times its merely a shell of its former self

Best Answer

I doubt it.<br />
It certainly had that effect on me.

Best Answer

well it would be odd if the bible was anything but a gathering of stories written in a time when man ran from thunder. The bible was and is nothing more then the fox news of its time away to control the masses using fear and hate I for one can not wait till the only way you can see a bible is by going to to an out of print book story and looking under fiction

Best Answer

Not at all odd. It is full of contradictions and that in itself makes it hard to believe anything else in it. <br />
But then all religions are to serve man and not the supernatural or spiritual world.

Best Answer