QueenIzabella QueenIzabella 56-60 11 Answers Dec 25, 2012 in Community

the squirrels would dig all that stuff out of your garbage, anyway. i figure wild animals usually know what's good for them.

Best Answer

I throw stale cookies out, too, I've questioned whether that's at all good for them! (They do eat it, tho!)

Best Answer

hehe, squirrels on a sugar rush...i'd hate to see that firsthand

Best Answer

Gee, yeah, that would explain a few things I've seen out in the back yard ...

Best Answer

It can lead to some unintended consequences if it is bread or things of that nature like duckling malnutrition and loss of natural behaviors.

Best Answer

I have wondered about that, tho I live in a city, & it's really cold here this time of year, with snow cover also, I'm thinking it could be hard for the critters to be finding much to eat these days!

Best Answer

Always check city ordinances that restrict or prohibit feeding ducks or waterfowl, but grains, oats, rice, lettuce or greens chopped up, or especially birdseed any type or mix are all generally okay.

Best Answer

Oats as in oatmeal (uncooked, of course!) ?

Best Answer

Uncooked oatmeal is an excellent source of nutrition for birds, and it also helps you get rid of the oatmeal you are not going to eat.

Best Answer

Thanks!! Oatmeal is not that expensive of an item if you just get the generic stuff, I wouldn't mind buying containers of it just for birds, as long as it's fine for them.

Best Answer

It's fine. Be careful as, depending on where you live, you can attract unwelcome guests (rats, raccoons, bears and such)

Best Answer

It's fine. Just don't give them things like uncooked rice - it expands inside their tummies (that's why they don't want people to throw rice at weddings anymore unless they clean it up - the birds eat it and it can kill them).

Best Answer

I'd heard about the rice thing, tho I'd also thought I'd heard about other "people"-type food not being good for the wildlife, so I was just "checking" -- thanks!

Best Answer

I know they really appreciate it in the winter.

Best Answer

I would think as long as it isn't raw dough it is ok.

Best Answer

It's OK, but the crumbs from it will attract rodents and other varmints you don't want around.

Best Answer

I doubt it's bad for them. I remember when I was a kid I'd go out and feed the ducks with stale bread. The birds would love it this time of year.

Best Answer