Ultimately, they did succeed in a most important task, and that was that Bill and Sharon, two long haired, pot smoking miscreants mated and thus produced the wonder that is now known as...Me.

Best Answer

and this cannot be denied.

Best Answer

Well, you know I'm not the vain sort, but...yeah. That.

Best Answer

No , it's a state of mind.

Best Answer

Epic fail.

Best Answer

The military and industrialization weren't the only points of attack. The hippies succeeded in bringing racial inequality to the forefront.

Best Answer

Alright, touche. Well said. And I appreciate seeing at least one cogent answer to the question.

Best Answer

Look up.. The Burning Man. Tell me if you think hippies died

Best Answer

Really? Burning Man?? Wow, thanks for making my point even stronger.

Best Answer

your premise is too inane to even warrant comments or rebuttals.......

Best Answer

with the exception of misspelling "completely" how is it inane? They were a counter culture movement. Nice music. Cool clothes. Decent drugs. Otherwise not much to speak of... how is my premise flawed?

Best Answer

Not really--they had a major influence on much of today's society, they just didn't turn things totally around.

Best Answer

In what way did they turn anything around? Vietnam didn't end until '75 (IT WAS A TIE!). And how many military conflicts have we engaged in since then? We spend more than a trillion dollars every two years on "national defense." And we have military bases in over 100 countries worldwide. What exactly did they turn around?

Best Answer

I didn't read every answer but it seems you're mainly focusing on how they affected our military actions. They planted the seed for citizens to band together and protest against unjust wars and unbridled military actions and unpopular wars. So they had an affect but mainly they influenced our society ,opening up sexual freedom and tolerance and upsetting the status quo of rigid conformist society .

Best Answer

Also Hippies were involved in fighting racism , sexism , and seemed to be more tolerant of people with different sexual orientations.

Best Answer

Maybe it failed politically speaking, probably because it was actually heterogeneous, with people focusing on the pleasure principle mainly but disagreeing on the precise definition of justice and equality.

Best Answer

They succeeded as far as I'm concerned, I still listen to that era and I'm alert to the fact they were shot down real quick for showing their vulnerability....they were killed off but that is where their strength lies ...dying for their beliefs, the mark of a true revolution...the 60's was the beginning of real love....

Best Answer

The music was pretty damn good for one thing. Getting people to think for themselves and to question authority and also in the area of networking. Questioning authority was what brought down Nixon and what also eventually ended the war in Vietnam. Networking is what you're doing right now, using a network to access this site. Networking is an old Hippie concept. Before the days of computers, they used to network through underground newspapers. That's how they were able to get 400,000 to show up at Woodstock. Now we network through the Internet.

Best Answer

People networked through underground newspapers at the constitutional conventions in Philadephia in the late 18th century,and in other places well before that. The hippies didn't invent networking. And the war in Vietnam ended because we lost and we were running out of money.

Best Answer

And the music?

Best Answer

And questioning authority?

Best Answer

The music was pretty good. Lots of people have questioned authority in our country, since the mid 1700's. The hippies were just another in a long line that still goes on today.

Best Answer