Anonymous2day Anonymous2day 36-40 12 Answers Aug 6, 2012 in Struggles

If he was not in uniform and not on duty, then it is simple assault. Even if he identified himself as a Police Officer, he is not present with authority to act as an LEO, thus, a charge of Assault on a Police Officer could be pled down to simple assault.

The caveat, of course, is if the Police Officer is operating undercover. If that is the case, he may be fully empowered but due to his cover unable to reveal himself. In that case one COULD be charged with Assault on a Police Officer -- and that would be justified.

Best Answer

I believe so. I don't thinks assault is legal until you are formally introduced.

Best Answer

Hi,
The police officer could be off-duty, not displaying ANY type of Police gear, (but the concealed weapon all off-duty officers carry) and hypothetically you punch said off-duty officer. That, my friend, is assault on a Police Officer.

Best Answer

I don't think assault on ANYBODY is legal until formal introductions. You can't walk up and punch somebody just because you don't know their name, and get away with it.

Best Answer

I don't know, but you have the right to remain silent...

Best Answer

Yes, you shouldn't be assulting anyone.

Best Answer

the law isn't fair, so it will depend on who you are and how good your legal representation is.

Best Answer

Regardless of identification, you assaulted a person that happened to be a Police Officer. However, I do not know the specifics, so I can give you my thoughts (I'm also in Law Enforcement). You're welcome to email me, and we can talk specifics.

Best Answer

I meant "so I can't give you a definitive answer" in place of "so I can give you my thoughts". I didn't like the way that sounded, nor did it make much sense.

Best Answer

were they in uniform?

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

then no, but they'll probably figure out a way charge you for something anyway.

Best Answer

No.

Best Answer