I have so many parents coming to me to help their kids out who are failing their maths at middle school and high school level. They all got the same complaint, incompetent teachers. Is it the teachers really or the maths literacy level of kids nowadays dropping drastically?
AcousticAnne AcousticAnne 26-30, F 7 Answers Jun 23 in Community

I think the blame lies strongly with the student but there are teachers that have just given up and doN't make an effort to engage. Overall I believe there is a worrying tendency to blame the teacher rather than the student, part of the "everyone's a winner" mentality

Best Answer

A bit of both perhaps. Students that expect to be spoon fed and teachers that aren't particularly interested.

Best Answer

Possibly, poor teaching could have something to do with it. But I think parents need to play a bigger role in their kids' educations too. Sadly, parents in general are taking a more hands-off approach to their "jobs" and the kids are suffering because of it. If my son was doing poorly in Math, I would probably get him a tutor and stay on top of what was happening, not gripe to the teacher.

Best Answer

can be a mix of both

Best Answer

I think it might be a combination. Maths has the mass image of it being boring and therefore the will to learn has already been significantly diminished before students even step foot in the classrooms. It needs to be spiced up a little.

Best Answer

It is part the fault of the teachers.<br />
Look at my username and my obsession with math. One wouldn't believe it if I told them I got a C in precalc. My teacher was an old hag that was constantly rude, had a honking goose voice, and was very strict. I hated her. Her type is the reason why kids don't like math...<br />
By the way, you can redirect some of them to me. I'll be glad to help tutor.

Best Answer

In life, you're not always going to like anyone who is in charge. You're supposed to do a good job because you have pride in what you do.

Best Answer

That's not how psychology and the world works, unfortunately. If the teacher is going to be an arsehole, it's going to affect my grades, which will affect my future. I have to f├╣cking retake precalc if I want to be in Mu Alpha Theta next year >.>

Best Answer

Some teachers methods are questionable indeed. Take for instance youre going to keep a student in school for 8hours a day - information overload right there. Cant help that really but monotony in this case is out of the question so is your approach to make things pleasant for you and for the student. I dunno. Maybe because am still young and undestand these young adults better ? :-/

Best Answer

It's not even information overload. I learned the material. I *despised* the class, though. My teacher made me inches from giving up on math. Seriously. But I know that I should shoot the messenger, not the message, in this instance.

Best Answer

Thank god i only teach maths on my free time.

Best Answer

I teach maths all the time. I mean... that's kind of what I do. xD
All the time is my free time.
If a math question appears on EP, people expect me to answer it. lol xDD

Best Answer

Good for you. As much as i love teaching math, i much prefer teaching undergrad biology.

Best Answer

Heh I also know a fair bit of Bio, but Bio (specifically anatomy) is my least favorite of all the sciences. IDK, I used to love anatomy. But then the ick factor set in. I really can't stand humans, especially due to bodily functions and squishiness... ick...

Best Answer

Well my level of expertise focuses on all things bio - animal including humans, microorganisms, ecology, marine and terrestrial, functions and links.

Best Answer

Mmmm my area of expertise is math (up to Calculus and then some) and the sciences (except for Chem)

Best Answer

I love chem !

Best Answer

I never took Chem. My teachers shoved me into honors physics, then AP physics.

Best Answer

I tutor privately extended/IB level maths, ACT maths and coordinated science, IB phys, chem and bio.

Best Answer

Both! But The educational system in Australia is really crap!!

Best Answer

I tutored Irish Aussie born twins for middle level maths last year here ! They're doing pretty well when they got back to Australia. Emailed me and thanked me for helping them out and updates me in their academic endeavors :)

Best Answer

You really need to move here! I could use you for so many things ahaha :p

Best Answer

Well i intend to when my contract expires next year ! Lol

Best Answer