I am a US citizen. The US is virtually paralyzed. The government cannot function and the citizenry is divided along several lines no one is willing to cross. Is it time to just break up the US into regional countries based on belief systems, voting records, and regional economies? I think we would all be better off.
tibado tibado 26-30, M 17 Answers Jun 25, 2013 in Community

I've thought this before. My only concern is that separately not everyone would be able to get what they need. People living in dry regions would have difficulty do to a lack of cultivatable land and lack of access to clean water. Also, from looking at the East I'd say having several small countries close together guarantees intense, constant war.

Best Answer

People living in dry regions are already facing a looming water crisis. Cities such as Phoenix and Las Vegas that cannot support themselves with the resources that are available to them should not exist.

Best Answer

Would it not worsen if they are isolated into a small country?
Also, who would determine in what way the country divides in this hypothetical situation?

Best Answer

It isn't the responsibility of those in resource rich areas to sustain those who choose to live in an inhospitable area. Climate change will only make this issue worse. Borders would have to be agreed upon. There are already unrecognized borders in thought, geography, climate, and economic interests. Using these lines would be a good place to start.

Best Answer

Been there, done that, fought a war over it. I don't think it's the answer now, either.

Best Answer

I really don't like the bit about dividing ba<x>sed on belief systems. Some of those "countries" might become like a Christian equivalent of Iran or worse Afghanistan under Taliban rule...

Best Answer

That is a risk citizens in those regions would have to prevent. The Christian Kingdom of Alabama has a creepy ring to it.

Best Answer

They certainly would! Texas and the South would be slaughtering non-Fundamentalist Christians by the thousands!

Best Answer

The UN might be willing to step in and prevent the genocide. That might be the first wave of refugees.

Best Answer

Let's not forget that some of those "countries" would now have nuclear weapons... Too scary for my blood.

Best Answer

Yes, but you aren't welcome here in Texas unless you bring $$ with you.

Best Answer

I have no interest in ever visiting the hot wastes that is Texas. I would be happy if the state seceded.

Best Answer

You mean the state with the best economy in the whole country? Carry on.

Best Answer

Last time I checked Texas was running a 7 billion dollar budget deficit for 2013. Your brilliant governor got rid of 75% of your volunteer fire fighters and then begged for fed help once your state caught fire. Please secede.

Best Answer

Actually, I'm writing a book on this. All forms of natural disaster occur at the same time and causes the USA to be physically divided.. but still politically together..<br />
And what you're describing seems unrealistic. What if my beliefs change? What if children have different beliefs? They will just move?

Best Answer

Yes. They would have to apply for citizenship based on the rules of immigration from one region to the next. I suspect that some citizens would be less desirable than others.

Best Answer

Why? Because the beliefs would be different? Also, they can start a war between the nation... We need a little something everywhere. That's why this place is called the Melting Pot. It enables us to be exposed to different things without fighting.

Best Answer

Some regions of the country value things such as education more so than other parts. Citizens from some parts of the country receive a much better education than those from other parts. The US has reached a point where cannot make basic decisions. In a time where our nation is facing mounting challenges, we have fallen to infighting. It is only going to get worse.

Best Answer

But by dividing us up based on beliefs, you'd be limiting the public to only their own... Thus creating some sort of Utopian society... But we all know that those end terribly.
Yes, this place has its flaws and problems, but we shouldn't try to cover them up with a quick fix. By confronting the problem holistically, we can solve the problem holistically too.

Best Answer

A bad union cannot always be fixed. People of a region know their issues more intimately than an overreaching government. This solution would allow people to address their issues locally in the manner they see fit. This would also allow them to fail miserably if their ideas are not sound.

Best Answer

Interesting. Well said... But I have an important question. Will we be split up without the same president or will there be a president elected for each region?

Best Answer

Each region would set up its own form of government and then would send some sort of representative to a council that would address defense issues that affect the entirety of the region.

Best Answer

Like states.... Except instead of location, they are divided by differences. But that can start a conflict. "Let's go attack so-and-so's region because that's where all the intellecuals are." It also goes for the people in that region. Everyone is different.. So to divide based on common beliefs is like putting a snake and rat in a cage because they're both animals. Which leads to my next question, exactly how would we divide people?

Best Answer

Not like states as each country is not bound to each other by an overarching federal government. Each country will determine its own social, enviromental, and economic laws. No country is bound to the defense of the region. Cooperation is desired, but not mandated. People would divide themselves based on their beliefs, preference for style of government, economic ideals, and social preferences. A period for immigration would have to be allowed before each region's immigration laws take effect.

Best Answer

We wouldn't be able to defend ourselves against war since we would be so small and new... So, let me ask this... Would we still be together as one or just a bunch of places?

Best Answer

The land mass that is the United States is still one of the best geographic areas to defend. Very few enemies have the capabilities to capture, hold, and pacify the continental US. We would be a landmass that houses several different countries that each have their own forms of government, economies, and social mores. Ideally we would have treaties, trade agreements, and the ability to interact with each other.

Best Answer

Well Divided we Fall... How would we defend ourselves if we are split up? Think of it. No means of contact, no relativity.. What would drive us to ever defend other regions?

Best Answer

I think that telephone lines, the internet, and other forms of communication would still be fine. Other regions have a vested interest in preserving the calm and preventing another nation from encroaching upon the territory. A mutual defense alliance, while not mandatory, would certainly be in our best interest. Consider the relationship between Canada and the current US. No problems there.

Best Answer

Huff Puff... This is all very interesting... But one of us will have to back down eventually.. or at least shift the conversation if one is wanted.

Best Answer

It's coming. Texas will secede first. Then the South. Then the rest. There will be about 6 or 7 countries. I would say in 20 years or less. I expect Texas to go soon.

Best Answer

Perhaps. Texas has the economy and some natural resources, but it is being governed poorly and is susceptible to numerous natural disasters. Fires, tornadoes, floods, droughts, and hurricanes have been known to cause major damage.

Best Answer

I think what Texas hates is paying taxes, but their taxes will be outrageous if they secede.

Best Answer

like north & south

Best Answer

The North Atlantic, The Midwest, The Pacific Northwest, The South, The Southwest, Texas, California, and Alaska.

Best Answer

interesting

Best Answer

I agree, but add the Rocky Mountain Zone, mostly a right wing country.

Best Answer

That will be a good idea. It will give a more comfortable environment.

Best Answer

We are already sorting ourselves. People who hold similar ideas are moving to various parts of the country and just entrenching those ideas in those regions.

Best Answer

Hope you all get new nations with better government.

Best Answer

That didn't really work out well last time.

Best Answer

That was a violent attempt. I think we can all realize the US is not functioning properly any more. It has become a bad marriage. We should get an amiable divorce.

Best Answer

Something to theorize about.

Best Answer

United we stand, divided we fall...

Best Answer

We are united now and we are still falling.

Best Answer