My father died when I was young, and I want to know if my emotional baggage from that, and the lack of a male figure in my childhood is going to hurt my future relationships. I'm 18, and have never had a boyfriend, never even been kissed. I am doing something wrong?
eec18 eec18 18-21 21 Answers Jun 16, 2009

I could be wrong but if I had to guess one of the reasons you have not had a relationship is you could be scared of the guy leaving you just as your dad left you as a kid. Not that he left you by choice when he died but subconsciously that fear could be there. By the way I am very sorry for your loss. I myself deal with adamant issues because I have not seen my dad since I was 3. <br />
The thing to do though is just be nice with guys at your age and make friends. Your first love when you do find him might not be the right one either. I am 33 years old now still looking myself. Be happy with who you are being single though and never give up on your dream that your guy is out there right now and you just need to wait for fate to decide its time for your paths to cross.

Best Answer

No not neccesarily, but it might have a big effect on your relationships with men.

Best Answer

lol no. It will probably influence it, but it won't define it, and you can change it. I would go see a therapist if you have issues or want to have help changing your habits with males etc.

Best Answer

You have just not found the right one my dear...<br />
But yes....Lots of girls marry men like their father....Both of mine are with men that are a great deal like their father....But they just do not wish to admit it at times.

Best Answer

NO!! my father was abusive physically and emotionally when I lived with him and my younger sister he was a single parent... he favored her and we didn't get along I moved out and got married as soon as I turned 17 my hudband is nothing like my father we've been married for almost 9 years and to this day no matter how hard I try I can not get along with my father. my husband get along great

Best Answer

No, not in my personal experience. My father was distant and abusive. My husband was a great guy.

Best Answer

I think that really depends on the person you are talking about, some will be affected by their fathers and some won't that much. <br />
Just because everyone who had a bad relationship with their fathers didn't have much success in their love lives it doesn't mean that you will.<br />
I have a good relationship with my father and I didn't have a boyfriend or was kissed until I was 17, not too different from you.<br />
It might be because you are shy, or you don't have many guy friends, and it might be not related at all to your father.<br />
Either way, best of luck with finding a man (if you want to of course)<br />
=)

Best Answer

Possibly, as you have not had the experience where you know how a woman should be treated by a man.

Best Answer

I hope not.

Best Answer

It is true that women many times seem to hook up with a man who is much like her father. Anyone can quote exceptions...they always exist. But for the most part, the guy a woman chooses will appear to her to be much like her father. Hopefully, that father was kind, understanding and loving...and not abusive, indifferent and uncaring. I spend much of my time with my daughter, telling her how I am towards women and making sure to point out little things that a guy can do to give her hints that he's either a good...or a bad guy to get to know better. Fortunately, she's pretty aware so I think she'll do just fine.

Best Answer

not sure really. my dad has always been a positive influence in my life...and i've noticed that i tend to gravitate towards men that have similar traits as my dad, so....your guess is as good as mine lol

Best Answer

WEll the answer is usually a big old YES!! However it's not as bad if you haven't been abused or neglected by a male fiure & the only way I know of to get past that is to get counseling, heal & foster positive, healthy relationships with men - first make it NON romantic relationships with men.<br />
When I have an issue to work on like that, I just tell God - Hey I need help with this, what's my next step. And usually in a couple of weeks opportunities start coming.<br />
Good luck babe!! :D

Best Answer

:)

Best Answer

There is nothing wrong in it. Even I never had a boyfriend nor I have ever been kissed. Yeah your relationship with your father does affect you relationship with other men but it depends from person to person. My dad is such a teddy bear but he is a little impatient so when men act very patiently, I'm kinda surprised.

Best Answer