Gaspar1111 Gaspar1111 31-35, M 19 Answers May 18, 2010

According to my understanding, at the time that restriction was imposed, tattooing was done to mark slaves, or as a mark for certain religious cults. I believe that everything in the Old Testament should be taken in context. The books that basically outline OT law are specific to the times in which they are written. The premise in the New Testament is that Christ came to fulfill and overcome the law....and the old laws were no longer powerul the determining factor for acceptance before <br />
God. In the New Testament, the OT laws were basically summed up in the two mandates to love God and to love one another. So...if you look at the reasons why tattooing was taboo, and then consider what it entails and symbolizes today, then you should be able to discern whether it would be undesirable today.

Best Answer

The Bible also forbids wearing cloth made out of a mix of wool and linen (but other fiber combinations are fine), and that whenever a woman has her period she becomes impure and whatever she sits or lies on during those seven days is also impure. Anyone who sits where she has sat becomes impure by association. Etc.<br />
Your call. Nearly every religion has laws that few people are aware of and fewer people actually adhere to. My main gripe against tattoos, especially extensive, visible ones that are provocative, is that they severely limit one's employability. Ditto with multiple, visible piercings. So this whole topic is more about common sense and social norms than religion to me...

Best Answer

God says that our Body is a temple. <br />
He says to take care of our temple.<br />
Tattoos are self mutilation - as are piercings.<br />
That said, I see many Christians with pierced ears and even tattoos, so really it is up to you whether you feel God thinks it's wrong ;)

Best Answer

I'm doomed if that's true. I think god has bigger fish to fry; murderers, rapists, child molesters etc, etc - assuming he even exists, of course.

Best Answer

As kazwaz insinuated, as long as you're not a murderer or rapist, you can do no wrong.<br />
Steal, lie, cheat, cause emotional trauma, beat little kids... it's all ok. Just don't murder or rape!

Best Answer

a sin is even a thought of lust. if you ask forgiveness then you can do whatever...all sins equal in the eyes of god...from killing your family in a blood bath to a lie of saying that dress is pretty. the only one that god refuses to overlook is blasphemy of the holy spirit (whatever that means). *ex bible thumper here*

Best Answer

Sounds to me that u maybe a little religous, if u are then what the bible states is correct. If u decide to do it then u know within urself that it is wrong. Choice is urs to decide. Remember the bible is a source of guidance to keep u free frm harm.

Best Answer

It's written in the Old Testament. The way I've been taught in the past has made me rethink some things, and there are some things I'm still trying to figure out what is right. One could believe that since those words against marking your body are in the Old Testament, they were meant for the Jews. But one could also believe that since it's in the Bible, it's for everyone. The reason I'm trying to sort this out for myself is that I grew up with my mother telling me tattoos are against the Bible but yet learning at the same time that the Ten Commandments were given to the Jews, not Gentiles. I kind of look at it as all or nothing---one shouldn't pick and choose what is valid for this time period and what is not. Maybe there is some deeper theological method for figuring that out, but I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what is right...because, if one wants to go with EVERYTHING in the Old Testament, they should check out http://hanefesh.com/613_Mitzvot.htm. That's a pretty long list of commandments to follow. I also want to remind you that according to the Apostle Paul, we are not under the law but under grace. That doesn't give us the right to sin just because we can, but we are not help to the law and its punishment because Jesus already took care of that on the cross. (See Romans 6:14&15)

Best Answer

I don't think it really says anything about them one way or the other. I don't like the things myself but I don't think anyone can honestly make a religious argument against them.

Best Answer

Tattooing is not preferred by God, but it isn't the unforgiveable sin. God cares more about whats in your heart and that you learn the truth of His word and show Him your love.

Best Answer

I love Jesus and love my religion , I am Christian. Tattoos are purely decorative . As long as the picture is beautiful , why not, Its art. I have 2 butterflies. I cant stand bible bashing cos our God is a loving God. We can do as we like as long as its not mean and cruel......love one love all

Best Answer

probably but if you did everything the bible condoned...

Best Answer